Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Must Have Clothing Pieces

Model

somedelightfullife

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Are there certain pieces of clothing that you would recommend every model have?

I recently lost 45 pounds and dropped 6 pants sizes, so I am rebuilding my wardrobe from almost nothing, slowly but surely.

Sep 17 14 12:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Wigs and Makeup Allison

Costa Mesa, California, US

I frequently work as a wardrobe stylist, and for me, the most important thing that a model needs is good underwear and shoes.  Nude strapless bra, nude thong, nude boyshorts, black bra, black heels, nude heels, black boots would be what I consider necessary.

Other things I would recommend:  one or two pairs of great fitting jeans, black tank top, white tank top, white button down shirt, fishnets, stockings, garter belt, cowboy boots, little black dress, great fitting black pants.  Of course I could think of a million other things, but for me, those are the absolute necessities.

Sep 18 14 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Yes, depending on the genres you list, as well as the basics every model should have in her bag.

The basics are:

foundations: smooth bra and panty in nude, white, and black.

hosiery: thigh high stockings in nude, white, and black.

shoes: simple high heel pumps in beige / tan, black and white. Avoid platforms, unless you know that look is needed. (Never use street wear shoes.) Walking shoes. Casual flats, again in basic colors. If you do swimwear, then leather sole flip flops......no ugly rubber sole flip flops.

jewelry: some assortment of costume jewelry, to include necklaces, bracelets, earrings, for basic looks that work with both dressy or casual looks.

Hair styling items to include brush, curling iron, pins, etc.

Make up: to include all the items for a good photographic make up, and applying them.

The rest should be based on genre: swimwear in various styles for swimwear, which you only use for modeling, a mix of sexy outfits for glamour, to include a variety of looks, a cover up for breaks, lingerie that will work for either fashion or glamour looks, if that is in your genres.

Most of the time, clothing is only provided for fashion oriented work, unless the photog wants to provide wardrobe, or the client specifies the look.

Those are the basics. If you are doing sheer lingerie or nudes, you need a dress that hangs from the shoulders, you can wear to the shoot, without undergarments, so there are no foundation lines / marks that you have to wait on, until they disappear, to start the shoot.

Most of the time, you will have enough info about the shoot, to know if anything specific is needed for the shoot, you either don't have, or you need to add to your bag.

Sep 18 14 07:29 am Link

Model

somedelightfullife

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thank you both SO much. I made a list of everything you both mentioned, now I have some shopping to do! : )

Sep 18 14 07:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

SherryHarkisan

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

somedelightfullife wrote:
Are there certain pieces of clothing that you would recommend every model have?

I recently lost 45 pounds and dropped 6 pants sizes, so I am rebuilding my wardrobe from almost nothing, slowly but surely.

(Huge congrats on losing so much weight!!!!)

Sep 22 14 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Miketography

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Great job on the weight loss! Continued success to you!

Mike

Sep 22 14 07:13 am Link

Model

somedelightfullife

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thank you both! It was well worth the hard work : )

Sep 22 14 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Normally the advice is to have in the very basic model kit:

Nice dressy plain white shirt
Black skirt, dressy/casual pants (men)
Black high heel shoes, black dress shoes (men)
Nude panty hose, black socks (men)
Nude strapless bra & panties, clean dress/swim shorts (men)
Bikini - plain or subtle pattern
Warm socks or leg warmers
Light weight jacket or parka (depending on season and local)
Comfortable walking shoes
Basic make-up kit (include clear nail polish & remover)
Comps and secondary (disposable) portfolio
Nude or plain tube top
Comb/brush hair spray
Small sewing kit & band-aids (safety pins, hemming tape)
Energy bar
Voucher slips (agency) or release (freelance)
Pen and note paper
Spare cell phone battery or charger (car+AC adapter)
Disposable razor, tampons (women)

This is the absolute, bare minimum kit. Most agency models keep it within reach at all times. It will vary with the type of jobs you do the most...

Sep 22 14 10:46 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Wigs and Makeup Allison wrote:
I frequently work as a wardrobe stylist, and for me, the most important thing that a model needs is good underwear and shoes.  Nude strapless bra, nude thong, nude boyshorts, black bra, black heels, nude heels, black boots would be what I consider necessary.

Other things I would recommend:  one or two pairs of great fitting jeans, black tank top, white tank top, white button down shirt, fishnets, stockings, garter belt, cowboy boots, little black dress, great fitting black pants.  Of course I could think of a million other things, but for me, those are the absolute necessities.

+1

Sep 24 14 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
Normally the advice is to have in the very basic model kit:

Nice dressy plain white shirt
Black skirt, dressy/casual pants (men)
Black high heel shoes, black dress shoes (men)
Nude panty hose, black socks (men)
Nude strapless bra & panties, clean dress/swim shorts (men)
Bikini - plain or subtle pattern
Warm socks or leg warmers
Light weight jacket or parka (depending on season and local)
Comfortable walking shoes
Basic make-up kit (include clear nail polish & remover)
Comps and secondary (disposable) portfolio
Nude or plain tube top
Comb/brush hair spray
Small sewing kit & band-aids (safety pins, hemming tape)
Energy bar
Voucher slips (agency) or release (freelance)
Pen and note paper
Spare cell phone battery or charger (car+AC adapter)
Disposable razor, tampons (women)

This is the absolute, bare minimum kit. Most agency models keep it within reach at all times. It will vary with the type of jobs you do the most...

Good list - you forgot black tites, as well as a couple t-shirts (no logos).

Sep 24 14 01:42 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I think we should add various tanks, black heels, skinny jeans and basic body suits.
Especially the body suits.
smile

Oh, and speaking of supplies, electric razors (the ones for ladies... Or men if you can only find that type) are really awesome.

Sep 24 14 02:04 pm Link