Forums > Critique > I'd love some feedback

Model

Kuzetsu

Bothell, Washington, US

Got some new shots back and have others coming. 

I'd really love some honest and brutal feedback as I'm wanting to improve what I can from where I am. 

So please tell me what you like and what you don't.  Critique poses, expressions, makeup, hair, weight, complexion, anything that I as the model could improve. 

If you hurt my feelings trying to help me, I'll forgive you wink  Well, as long as you're being constructive about it smile

Aug 26 05 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Of the first five you posted, only #3 is decent from a lighting standpoint and on it your face is blown out and the pose isn't the greatest.  It's too bad too because you obviously put some time and money into this shoot.

Paul

Aug 26 05 04:27 pm Link

Model

Kuzetsu

Bothell, Washington, US

A couple hours of time, but no money involved.  smile

As a model, I can't really help lighting standpoints and how the picture is shot.  Or can I?  If so, what can I do?  I can't readily see myself in most shots.  I've always thought that paying attention to lighting details was the photographer's job.  I know nothing of lighting as it relates to the camera.

Could I get some critiques on what I could do to improve as a model?  What did you not like about the pose?  How could it be improved?

Aug 27 05 12:08 am Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

no its not your job, but you do need to be aware of the light, unless told otherwise always model towards the main light.
but actually i like the lighting in all of the new images.the poses and makeup are really good in my limited experienced opinion.

Aug 27 05 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

As Robert said, you're correct, you can't but the photographer should be able to tell you to turn your face toward the main light.  On the third one, if he hadn't chopped off the top of your head, and had centered you in the image a little more, it could have been a lot better.

Paul

Aug 27 05 01:13 am Link

Photographer

hollywoodcolor

Simi Valley, California, US

I wanted to say I was a pleasure to work with you. Making shoots fun is a huge asset.

My suggestion is to collect as many publish photos (that you like) and practice matching the poses and take note of where the light are hitting

Please feel free to critique my work.

Aug 27 05 01:15 am Link

Photographer

JMedkeff

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Kuzetsu wrote:
As a model, I can't really help lighting standpoints and how the picture is shot.  Or can I?  If so, what can I do?

If you don't feel like you are getting enough direction, you can ask for it. You may have mixed success with this - some photographers go into a shoot with a lot of planning and can give excellent direction, and others work more spontaneously; it can be hard to get direction from someone who doesn't work with a lot of forethought.

If you feel a need to be aware of the lighting while you are on set, you can always ask the photographer where the key light is (I guess "main light" means the same thing).

Unless your photographer feels easily threatened, there is nothing wrong with asking whether he or she is getting what you are expecting. If you see the lens is pointed somewhere unexpected during an exposure, there is no reason not to ask whether the photographer has cut off your trailing elbow or the top of your head, if you want to get at least one full shot of that pose or look. If you have done your job negotiating the session, the photographer should know what kind of images you expect to have at the end and this kind of question won't be a surprise. And of course, you will know what the photographer is after, so you can accommodate that in turn. (Nb: I'm assuming this is a TFP or a shoot you have arranged and are directing. If you've been hired for a commercial session, it would be inappropriate to query the photographer about these things.)

In post, you can always request a little massaging of the images. For example, if you think the first image in the portfolio would be better if the levels on your back were brought up a little relative to the background, you could ask that be done; it is a fairly simple curves adjustment (which could also be done in levels, with the contrast slider, or in a dozen other ways in Photoshop, no doubt).

You might want to go after the first image in your portfolio again. You have your shoulder line about 45 degrees to the camera, and your pelvis about normal to it (straight on, in other words). Try putting your back more face-on, and tilt your right hip away from the camera about 45 degrees, watch how your waist shrinks in the resulting photo, and take some ibuprofen for what all this does to your neck (you will have to crane it even more to look behind you). Try several variations because getting this sort of thing right can be tricky; there is a fine line between nailing it and looking awkward.

Second and third and fourth images are potentially real winners if the key light was from the short side with a diffuse fill broad. That might go for the first one, as well; I wouldn't be sure until I saw it.

Hope this was helpful.

Aug 27 05 02:23 am Link