Forums > Model Colloquy > Model Self-Promotion and Sales Realizations

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've recently been researching ways to market myself, where I appeal more to a "fanbase," rather than just targeting exclusively people who might want to shoot with me when I travel (where I earn the bulk of my income). It has been 4 years since I marketed outside that circle, but I realize that my tendency toward marketing snobbery is probably self-limiting in the big picture.

From what I can figure, the way models really build a "fanbase" these days is through social media dispersion, heavily saturated with glossy images that are far from technically exceptional (as long as they're shiny)...as well as lots and lots of selfies, or images that APPEAR to be self-shot. I'm not a selfie person at all. This is an interesting phenomenon to me.

In addition to that, I am doing a new website and was talking last night with the person who will be putting that site together for me - who happens to follow the work of nude models and adult entertainers, from the civilian side. As just some random person, out in the nether-sphere, I appreciated his opinion on what sort of images, as a viewer, he would find appealing to view on a model's fan-oriented website. Some of the stuff the web guru guy responded to best had hands growing out of my head, oddly placed hands, feet cut off, technical problems that are absolutely ALL I can see when I looked at those images. Obviously, that's just one opinion - but I'm finding that "branding" and marketing to people other than photographers who might want to work with me, is confusing, and frustrating.

So much has changed in only a few years. I could just be old and grouchy, and "get off mah lawning."

Sep 27 14 08:15 am Link