Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Ben Nye question?

Makeup Artist

Hillary Scrogins

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I'm looking to add setting powders to my kit and I've heard a lot about the Ben Nye Banana powder. I looked into it, and I see that there are a lot of different shades to choose from. I want a full range from super fair to super dark but I don't want to dish out money for shades just to "complete" the line.

For a full range of versatile shades, which of their setting powders would you recommend.

Also, are there other setting/blotting powders you prefer that offer a full range of colors?

Oct 03 14 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Hillary Scrogins wrote:
...For a full range of versatile shades, which of their setting powders would you recommend...

Experience is a brutal teacher... I now always mix several shades/tints together on a puff to obtain a perfect match (or adjustment)... absolutely no need to purchase a myriad of product...  pink, olive, and rich golden browns for women of color and mix to match...

After pressing product into the foundation to set it (assuming cream) please be certain to sweep off all traces of excess powder (stroking in the direction of facial hair growth so as not to lift it).  This goes a long ways to reducing the dreaded "flash back" issues that photographers are not found of... albeit much depends on the hardness of the illumination source so the "togs" are oft guilty here...

Hope this helps...

Oct 03 14 08:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Langston MUA

Pleasanton, California, US

I really like the Ben Nye Loose Powders.  I have the 3oz sizes of the Neutral Set and Banana Powder because I use those the most.  The Banana Powder is also good for very slightly toning down any redness/pinkness.  The Neutral Set literally works for every skintone.  As a woman of color, this feature is very important to me.

I have a couple of the Ben Nye Mojave line translucent powders as well, in the colors Camel and Nutmeg.

Oct 03 14 11:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganMArtistry

Houston, Texas, US

Ben Nye sells two palettes with all of the powders from light to dark only in pressed form. I think they are about $50 each. Check out naimes.com, nigelbeauty.com or frends.com for them

Oct 07 14 10:15 pm Link