Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Hourly wage if photo studio provides makeup?

Photographer

M Noire

Geneva, New York, US

I'm well aware of freelancer rates, cost breakdowns, etc. However, I'd like to hear from some working makeup artists what they think would be a fair hourly wage if all products were provided (in a big city). Meaning, all you did was show up at the job - not using a single dime of your own for any products.

Oct 06 14 09:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MRezin wrote:
... hourly wage...

Doesn't work that way... nearly all agency represented artist will quote you a half/full day rate... the NYC agencies I do gigs with pay either half/full day... btw, you are expected as a professional to provide your own product... there are SERIOUS health issues involved here... an licensed esthetician would unlikely use unknown product on a client... period...

There are compelling reason why we carry professional liability insurance... The health and safety of a client is first and foremost... ignore this and you'll not last long in the industry...

Since you're in NYC might be appropriate to touch base with the Wall Group at 212.352.0777 and request a quote for your project...

Hope this helps...

Oct 06 14 10:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Carmen Make up and Hair

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

An established artist would never show up and use a 'house make up kit' for obvious sanitation and quality control issues. The only time we use kits that are not our own is when we are working a shoot or event which is sponsored by a specific brand, in which case the products provided for us are brand new in packaging. Also I know that in my market, there is no such thing as an hourly artist rate. To my knowledge this is true to most markets. Full day/half day rates are standard.

Edited to add that it's also dependent on the project. Jobs that have a larger photo distribution (read: billboards, pamphlets, product packaging etc.) are quoted higher than head shot or test rates.

Oct 06 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

M Noire

Geneva, New York, US

I guess I wasn't being very clear with regard to this. No need for condescending replies (this being in response to the first commenter in particular). This would be with regard to a steady job where the same MUA is at work, every open day/week/etc and working hourly instead of freelancing (this does for a fact happen, take makeup counters as an example). No unknowns, no confusion. It's a different animal from individual project-based work.  I've years of working with people on a project to project basis, and as mentioned - I completely understand that.

Oct 06 14 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

MRezin wrote:
I guess I wasn't being very clear with regard to this. No need for condescending replies (this being in response to the first commenter in particular). This would be with regard to a steady job where the same MUA is at work, every open day/week/etc and working hourly instead of freelancing (this does for a fact happen, take makeup counters as an example). No unknowns, no confusion. It's a different animal from individual project-based work.  I've years of working with people on a project to project basis, and as mentioned - I completely understand that.

To pay hourly like that you would have to hire them as your employee not as an independent contractor and I'm guessing provide 40 hours per week and take all the necessary legal measures such as payroll, taxes, insurance, benefits etc .

I'm guessing you want an in house makeup artist employee under payroll who will be at your studio 40 hours per week.

Oct 06 14 03:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

MRezin wrote:

MRezin, my response was sincere as possible in light of a MM member who headlines this in their BIO

I no longer work with models who contact me through this website. Thank all of the flakes for this.

There are quite a few industry professionals on Mayhem that work hard to make it a member friendly environment to assist talent on their journey in the industry...

To this end once more I will attempt to meet your expectations... now that your agenda is more clearly defined...

MRezin wrote:
(this does for a fact happen, take makeup counters as an example)

Food for thought... high end counter artist are primarily reps for product lines... they work on commission... Several of my instructors did this on weekends has brand ambassadors... they did not work on an hourly basis... MAC counter artist also are commission based, albeit with full time benefits... Sephora "crew members" on the other hand do not work on commission, thus is one of the compelling reasons their retail outlets have a pleasant ambiance...  I interviewed with them some time ago but they wanted weekends, being a bridal artist that didn't work for me... might consider recruiting there...

Best advice?  From your visual statement believe you would be well served recruiting talent from "Glamor Shots"...  I did a brief stint with them and they did indeed provide product, equipment etc... but it wasn't a good fit since they constantly told me to NOT get it perfect since their closers wanted to up-sell the pricey "retouch" package... 

The good news is I got to airbrush... TEMPTU Aqua line... I thank them for this...
Every entity has positive and not so positive attributes... I always try to focus on the positive...

Here are the Glamour shots closest to your commercial presence...

Staten Island
2655 Richmond ave #1225 
Staten Island, NY  10314 
Phone: (718) 983-7030

Once again I hope this helps...

All the best on your journey...

Oct 06 14 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Zone7

MRezin wrote:

You did not explain your thought in a clear and understandable statement, and she was far from condenscending.

Oct 06 14 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

M Noire

Geneva, New York, US

ArtistryImage wrote:

MRezin wrote:

MRezin, my response was sincere as possible in light of a MM member who headlines this in their BIO

I no longer work with models who contact me through this website. Thank all of the flakes for this.

There are quite a few industry professionals on Mayhem that work hard to make it a member friendly environment to assist talent on their journey in the industry...

To this end once more I will attempt to meet your expectations... now that your agenda is more clearly defined...

Food for thought... high end counter artist are primarily reps for product lines... they work on commission... Several of my instructors did this on weekends has brand ambassadors... they did not work on an hourly basis... MAC counter artist also are commission based, albeit with full time benefits... Sephora "crew members" on the other hand do not work on commission, thus is one of the compelling reasons their retail outlets have a pleasant ambiance...  I interviewed with them some time ago but they wanted weekends, being a bridal artist that didn't work for me... might consider recruiting there...

Best advice?  From your visual statement believe you would be well served recruiting talent from "Glamor Shots"...  I did a brief stint with them and they did indeed provide product, equipment etc... but it wasn't a good fit since they constantly told me to NOT get it perfect since their closers wanted to up-sell the pricey "retouch" package... 

The good news is I got to airbrush... TEMPTU Aqua line... I thank them for this...
Every entity has positive and not so positive attributes... I always try to focus on the positive...

Here are the Glamour shots closest to your commercial presence...

Staten Island
2655 Richmond ave #1225 
Staten Island, NY  10314 
Phone: (718) 983-7030

Once again I hope this helps...

All the best on your journey...

Awesome, thank you! I appreciate the insight. Apologies for the initial confusion.

Oct 07 14 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

The MUA provides the products, and the photographer provides a well lighted, comfortable work space.

If you have a model do her own, then you should simply make her aware of what you want, in case she needs anything she doesn't have. That's especially true of new models who haven't sorted things out, yet.

You can have a kit, if you are skilled enough to do make up yourself, and have researched all of the ins and outs, of licensing, and application rules, and can meet the requirements. (I used to do that, when I was shooting a lot of new models, and there was no budget for an MUA.)

Oct 07 14 11:56 am Link