Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Seeking constructive critisism.

Photographer

Vision Ingenuity

Boulder, Colorado, US

I'm always looking to get better, any constructive criticism and suggestions gladly accepted on my portfolio!

Oct 06 14 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140930/20/542b75fe4107d_m.jpg
Gives new meaning to the term “working under pressure” [Joke]

You do have some interesting work, wish you well

Oct 07 14 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Kind of a mixed bag.

Your use of shadows and silhouettes is very nice.  Your artsy ideas are fun and intriguing.  I think you have the makings of a fine arts photographer.

The headshots, pretty girls on a white sweep, etc. are not well lit and emotionally very flat and I don't see much connection between you and the model, lots of stiff posing, etc.  If you want to go the commercial route you really need to work on these things.  Maybe these are older, early work?  They could stand to be thinned out. 

Some old gimmicky ideas, probably from earlier in your career?   Photoshopped butterfly wings, etc.  You tried it once and that's ok but it doesn't really match anything else in the portfolio.  Could probably be cut unless your really intend to specialize in that genre.

You have a lot of images - 170+  Maybe you are trying to save the models feelings, but it's not necessary to keep a photo of every model you ever worked with in your portfolio.  I would suggest refining it down into subcategories with no more than 20 photos in each genre.  This will force you to make some hard decisions and think about what pieces represent you best. 

Best of luck.

WL

Oct 10 14 10:16 am Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

You have a lot of photos that are well executed. To the point where i say to myself "wow that's an amazing image", then you have a few that are "wtf is going on here".

Oct 10 14 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

This isn't a cohesive portfolio and at first glance I have no idea what your motivation is, as a prospective client this would turn me off immediately. I want someone skilled in their craft and with a vision I can connect with or at least understand what is it you shoot.

Your nude work is stronger than anything else in your portfolio. The woman in the yellow dress shots show promise, but again I don't see the point or what you're trying to tell me - are these focusing on the lovely dress, her face of the overall shape per the silhouette. She lit just enough that I can see her face so I want to focus in on that but there's no contrast, no highlight and shadow that would pull any of her features out of the flat lighting.

Suggestion: Pick a focus and stick with it and get some cohesion to your work. Your lighting, color, temp, angle, approach, everything is all over the board right now. It's cool to experiment and try different things but that doesn't make a portfolio. Good luck.

Oct 16 14 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I think you are exploring a lot, some of which works, and some of which is lacking.

I think you need to focus, on what it is you truly want to do, which you seem to have yet to determine, and concentrate on becoming excellent, in that, vs. continuing with all of the diversity of exploration.

You have to concentrate, to find all of the best ways to handle something.

Nov 02 14 06:56 am Link