Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

I am awful, awful, awful at doing 'light' hair. I almost cringe when people ask if I also do hair to be honest, that's how unconfident I am in my abilities. Sometimes the work I do is decent and other times I'm ready to chuck my curling iron out the window. It really depends on one's hair type.

I can do my own hair just fine! But when it comes to creating different curl types, a style that lasts, volume, minimizing frizz, etc...I'm a deer in the headlights.

Does anyone have any sound advise for overcoming my troubles? I do not want to be a hairstylists...I just want to be able to get by with a handful of 'acceptable' hair looks. I was thinking about putting an add on CL to see if I can get some classes from a licensed stylist.

Oct 08 14 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MUA Janine wrote:
'Light' Hair

Janine I feel your pain... been there... no fun...

Ok my solution was to enlist the talent of my key hair stylist (she's a fugitive from VOGUE NYC... lol)  She taught me how to use hot tools... The key is to get a 100% Human Hair Mannequin... avoid synthetic it's not the real thing, a waste of time/effort... You'll be best served with a long hair one...

cosmetology mannequins for beauty school, state board examination are ubiquitous... 18" length is good to start... you'll probably want several after all is said and done...

Next get a flat iron, and a curling iron... 1" barrel is pretty easy to learn on... heat curlers are inappropriate for photo-shoots... since you'll not have enough time... the trick is to start wrapping at the root end NOT and the tip end... you need the most heat close to the scalp so the curl will have body... newbies fear burning the client... use you hand to gauge temp on your mannequin... btw. you have to catch the curl as it comes off the iron and hold it while it cools otherwise the curl will fall out... practice till you become one with your iron...

Best advice is to hire a top stylist in your market to train you... albeit my offical line is to enroll in a cosmetology school if you are serious about this as a career... there are a myriad of health and safety issues that you absolutely must become keenly knowledgeable with...

Yes self taught is possible but is it practical? 
Hope this makes sense...

Ideally other licensed cosmetologist will share in this thread...

Oct 08 14 05:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Carmen Make up and Hair

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I overcame my fear of hair by getting a job in a salon that only does styling (no cuts, no color) and provides training for a fee to those with some experience in hair. Assisting at a full service salon is another option, or also hiring a stylist to give you a few lessons. Practicing on mannikins is great to see how different styles set, but It's really different from working with a real person's head. I often see those who are new to hair that are too scared to use a necessary amount of tension in their sections. Network with other artists in your area and arrange a hair practice night where everyone works on each other and offers tips.

Oct 08 14 09:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Hire a pro whose work you admire to train you. And practice on as many real heads as you can. It's just like in makeup where you want to practice on different skin colors and textures. Same thing.

Oct 08 14 11:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Langston MUA

Pleasanton, California, US

I'd suggest buying one of those mannequin heads from the beauty supply store and practicing on that.  I have one; unfortunately it's back home in TN.  I plan on bringing it back to CA with me the next time I go home.  I'm pretty confident in my skills with "light" hair, but it helps to practice still!  I used to practice on my mannequin a lot when I lived at home, so I believe that's what helped me.  They shouldn't cost anymore than $50.  Also, getting that "experience" on set during shoots has helped me in that I just do my best and try to apply the basic knowledge I know about hair.  I can't do any extravagant hairstyles, but I certainly don't mind trying - just to test myself.

Once during a shoot, I was working with a MUA who wanted to learn how to twist/braid hair.  After the shoot, I actually let her practice on my hair (and I'm very weary of others in my hair, Lol), but she wanted to learn and I wanted to help.  I have naturally curly/kinky hair, so it also provided her with some experience in how to carefully deal with textured hair as well.  Textured hair is a totally different ballgame, but it's worth it to practice on others of all hair types from straight, wavy, to curly, to kinky.

Oct 09 14 09:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

MUA Janine

San Francisco, California, US

Thanks everyone! You've provided me with great advice. I think I'm going to enlist the help of a hairstylist for 1 on 1 lessons to go over some basics.

Oct 12 14 07:15 pm Link