Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Hairstyles to Make me Look Older

Model

Belle 98

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I am 37 years old.  I want to apply for a promotion at my job and I need to make myself look older.  I have tried applying for promotions at my job before but found out through the grapevine that I "don't look the part".  Someone told me they over heard the hiring manager say "We can't hire her for that position.  She looks like she's barely out of college."  The position I want to get is a training position, so I need to look like I know what I'm talking about.

And this is not the first time that looking younger than my age has been a disadvantage.  "Get another job" you say.  Easier said than done, and I encounter the same problem when going on interviews.  I know it's illegal for them to ask my age, but they usually try to hint around at it, or say things like "You don't look like you have 15 years work experience."  No, it doesn't happen all the time, but it happens way more than it should.

I am going to see a make up artist for tips on how to do my make up to make me look older, but I was hoping I could get some tips on here for how to style my hair so I look older.  The first two pictures in my portfolio are the most recent pictures of myself. 

I'm completely lost.  I've tried dressing more professional looking but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  One day I was wearing a business suit, high heels and had my hair pulled back into a low pony tail and the teacher at my daughter's school didn't think I was old enough to be my daughter's mother.  My daughter is 8 year old.   She said she thought I was barely out of college. 

I've cut my hair short, but people still make comments on how young I look.  I don't know what to do anymore. 

Do I wear my hair down or up?  Straight or beach waves?  Highlights or all over color?  Dark or light?  I really don't want to cut it short, and I don't think that would help anyway.

Oct 28 14 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

The one does not work with the other. if you style your hair to look older, you will destroy it for modeling, because it will have to be cut. Your choice.

People who are attractive, past their twenties, are considered aberrations of humanity. Don't ask me why. It is irrational.

Oct 28 14 07:01 am Link

Model

Belle 98

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
The one does not work with the other. if you style your hair to look older, you will destroy it for modeling, because it will have to be cut. Your choice.

People who are attractive, past their twenties, are considered aberrations of humanity. Don't ask me why. It is irrational.

I'm not modeling anymore.

Oct 28 14 07:05 am Link

Hair Stylist

beautyhairstyling

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

sorry to hear about your situation at work and I myself know what you mean because i've been through that before and it sucks.

to make yourself look older, you will need a combination of hair, makeup and dress.  what's most important is how you present yourself to others.  I find that more darker shade / nude colour works better than bright/glossy colour.  this is same for clothing.  more business attire (old fashion).   as for hair, I am still new but I find that tied into bun seems to help look older. 

hope this helps.

Oct 28 14 10:03 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

First of all your a beautiful woman.  I see what you mean about looking younger.  I'm sure you know most of these tips already but...  In most cases darker makeup or drab colors, glasses, conservative business suits.  Flatter shoes with a block heel and a rounder toe.   Your hair could be cut into a bob.  Just at the shoulder.  Then style it with some fullness.  Maybe hot roller it and style into soft movement.  Spray with hairspray.  Also you could add a few high lights around the face.  Good luck.  R-

Oct 29 14 04:44 pm Link