Forums > Critique > Thoughts on my first photo?

Model

Andiel

Reading, England, United Kingdom

Hi,

I'd like some thoughts on my first photo and whether it's beneficial to my portfolio.

Thanks.

Nov 06 14 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

it is beneficial but only because it's a full-length image of you. It doesn't really depict your body type too well though.

I couldn't help but notice that you've requested critiques a few times before. Have you learned from the critiques? If so, what have you learned?

Nov 06 14 08:36 am Link

Model

Andiel

Reading, England, United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply. I guess I want to have a varied port and know what makes a good photo. Also helps with posing tips.

Nov 06 14 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Andie08 wrote:
I'd like some thoughts on my first photo and whether it's beneficial to my portfolio.

I don't think it is beneficial. Not a strong pose and you look a bit angry.

But just one worthless opinion.   smile

Nov 06 14 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

The best posing "tip" that I can give you is to shoot with good, experienced photographers. - even if you have to pay for them. Try to find someone who will teach you or mentor you. Check their references etc.

okay, enough said about finding good photographers. It's been suggested before...

The last image in your portfolio for instance. A good photographer wouldn't have shot that image, for at least these reasons. You hand looks completely cut off at the wrist. You need to at least show your thumb. As it is now, it looks amputated at the wrist. A camera sees in 2D - not 3D. Also, your hair has an asymmetrical part to it, so a good photographer will key light you from the side where your part is.

Other than than that, the image is okay. It has a "snap shot" feel to it. at least is shows a little (happy) emotion.

If you like getting your picture taken, then keep doing what you're doing - stand in front of a camera. If you want to improve as a model, invest some time, effort and money, and research for a good local 'Tog'

good luck

Nov 06 14 10:37 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

The one you are asking about isn't one of your strongest shots, nor is it a bad shot. It does show your figure reasonably well, but I think you could probably do even better for a full length pose. That's something to work toward next time you have a photo shoot:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141106/07/545b949376c82.jpg

However, it just doesn't jump out at me like either of these two seen below, which are much stronger in my opinion and have better expressions:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141011/10/54396482177a5.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120530/07/4fc631512b08e.jpg

Keep at it, work with a variety of photographers and constantly upgrade your poses as you go along, and you will be fine.

Nov 06 14 11:18 am Link