Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I am going to B&H today. Mainly to look at this camera, and a few others (a7, LX-100). B&H has some nice rebates on the XT-1 that expire this week. Should I grab one???

The A7 has some nice rebates too, but the Sony U/I leaves me cold.

Nov 09 14 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

It's a fantastic camera, with exceptional lenses, slightly marred by an AF system which is a bit buggy currently.. I hope the upcoming firmware will fix some of the problems...

There's other little problems too, but on the whole they did a good job..

http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.u … ographers/

Nov 09 14 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Fastest AF in the Fuji X line so far. Nothing but great things heard across the board on this one. This is the camera that are making avid DSLR users making the switch.
I tried one out and is an amazing little beast... Safe to say the X-T1 is the top dog for Fuji right now, and with the lens options it's hard to beat.
Good time to get your hands on one with the present deal.

Nov 09 14 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
It's a fantastic camera, with exceptional lenses, slightly marred by an AF system which is a bit buggy currently.. I hope the upcoming firmware will fix some of the problems...

There's other little problems too, but on the whole they did a good job..

http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.u … ographers/

Thoughtful. thank you.

Nov 09 14 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Leighthenubian wrote:

Thoughtful. thank you.

No problem.

I know a lot of photographers say the body doesn't matter, but I think it really does. Doesn't mean you can't take good photos with ANY body, it just means you might not be able to take the one you WANT to take.

Nov 09 14 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Phil Drinkwater wrote:

No problem.

I know a lot of photographers say the body doesn't matter, but I think it really does. Doesn't mean you can't take good photos with ANY body, it just means you might not be able to take the one you WANT to take.

Agreed I use it quite a bit..for all my work from weddings to commercial. Ditto with the E-M1 from Oly..I pick my tools based on the job at hand.

It's always nice to read an organized set of thoughts instead of the BS that passes for it around here sometimes.

Nov 09 14 09:31 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Robb Mann wrote:
I am going to B&H today. Mainly to look at this camera, and a few others (a7, LX-100). B&H has some nice rebates on the XT-1 that expire this week. Should I grab one???

The A7 has some nice rebates too, but the Sony U/I leaves me cold.

You should grab two.

Let me PM you my address for where to send the second one.

Nov 09 14 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Tony-S

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I've had my eye on the XT1 but I've only had my XE1 for a couple of years. I'll probably get the XT2 if/when it comes out.

Nov 09 14 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

I too have had my X-E1 for a year and a half. Would LOVE to get the X-T1 in place of tho, but I think I'm gonna wait to see what the X-Pro2 has to offer first.
In the mean time I gonna be the first in line at Samys when the X100T arrives in a week or two.

Nov 09 14 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Picked up the XT-1 w/18-55 lens. Played with in NYC.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. I brought it with me everywhere, something I couldn't do with the D800. Initial impressions - I kind of love the viewfinder. It's great seeing immediately the effects of changing setting, before shutter-press. I do wonder if it's saturating the colors a tad by default. I took some sunset photos that had a lot more pink and blue pop than was really there.

I do not like the fact that the 'manual' lens controls - aperture and focus, and fly-by-wire. No mechanical connection between the control and the function. I demoed the 56 f1.2 at B&H, and moving the focus point 4 feet back at wide open meant about 10 minutes of spinning the focus collar to get it sharp again. If Fuji is going to put a computer between me and my control, at least make it a smart one that adjusts the amount of change based on the speed of the input.

The 23 f1.4 and 56 f1.2 look like the primes to get, since I tend to shoot at those focal lengths a lot.

Nov 10 14 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Robb Mann wrote:
Picked up the XT-1 w/18-55 lens. Played with in NYC.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. I brought it with me everywhere, something I couldn't do with the D800. Initial impressions - I kind of love the viewfinder. It's great seeing immediately the effects of changing setting, before shutter-press. I do wonder if it's saturating the colors a tad by default. I took some sunset photos that had a lot more pink and blue pop than was really there.

I do not like the fact that the 'manual' lens controls - aperture and focus, and fly-by-wire. No mechanical connection between the control and the function. I demoed the 56 f1.2 at B&H, and moving the focus point 4 feet back at wide open meant about 10 minutes of spinning the focus collar to get it sharp again. If Fuji is going to put a computer between me and my control, at least make it a smart one that adjusts the amount of change based on the speed of the input.

The 23 f1.4 and 56 f1.2 look like the primes to get, since I tend to shoot at those focal lengths a lot.

Depends...what film simulation are you using?

Nov 10 14 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Loving it so far.  Just the 18-55 so far. The 56 and the  23 soon smile

Nov 10 14 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I'm very happy with my X-T1. I've been told that the AF isn't very fast, but I come from the world of Pentax, so having AF that works in the first place is a treat. The lenses that I have are quite awesome (I have all the "premium" primes).
The viewfinder takes a bit of getting used to, and I have had to adjust my shooting style a bit to accommodate it. The X-T1 doesn't lend itself to spending great amounts of time looking through the viewfinder.
The best part of the X-T1 for me is how ergonomically similar it is the the old Pentax LX film camera. The major controls are all on the surface, visible to the eye. Picking up the X-T1 after not using my LX bodies for a decade was like reacquainting myself with an dear old friend that I hadn't seen in far too long.
One thing to be prepared for is the battery life. The X-T1 is a very battery hungry camera. I get perhaps 250 or so pictures on a charge.
Most of my operational strategies revolve around battery life.

Nov 10 14 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Leighthenubian wrote:

Depends...what film simulation are you using?

No film simulation. Std. Unless std doesn't mean 'standard' as I'm assuming??

Nov 11 14 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

$1198.95 (black body) at Samy's now and I hear maybe less on black friday.

Debating to get it or wait to see the X-pro2 in early 2015... either way I'm going in and getting the X100T today as my daily carry about and/or second camera to my present X-E1.

Nov 16 14 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Jose Deida wrote:
Loving it so far.  Just the 18-55 so far. The 56 and the  23 soon smile

Yep. Debated hard about ditching the kit lens and waiting forbade now-overdue 18-55 f2.8 weather sealed, but that lens will cost more than the 56 & 23 primes, and won't be as fast.

Nov 16 14 09:31 am Link

Photographer

The Next Cliche

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

IMO Fuji has always been the little train that could.

My first SLR was a Fujica ST801. It was the first camera to use LEDs in lieu of a needle for manual metering. This wasn't just gimmickry - the delicate needle system used up until then could easily malfunction if the camera was banged or dropped. The lenses back then were great too.

They dropped SLR line in the mid 80s - around the time Minolta introduced the Maxxum line and Canon the EOS line - both autofocus. Fuji did produce a first rate line of autofocus rangefinders. One of the common sense features they incorporated into these cameras was prewind - all of the film was was wound onto the takeup spindle then retracted as images were shot. This had multiple benefits: a) you knew the film was properly loaded into the camera b) you knew how many exposures were left on the film c) if the film door was accidentally opened you didn't lose the shots you already took - they were back in the film cannister.

I doubt I would drop my current system for Fuji equipment due to the costs involved. I am still impressed by their product line.

It is also interesting to contrast their resilience against Kodak.

Nov 16 14 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Robb Mann wrote:

No film simulation. Std. Unless std doesn't mean 'standard' as I'm assuming??

Standard is their Provia film simulation

Nov 16 14 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

love mine
got the 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 when I bought it

these 2 lenses take a backseat to almost nothing
superb
a 90/2 is due out next year

I actually picked up a 55-200 today at BH
so I can leave my  D700 and heavy lenses home for my upcoming PR trip

initial shots show a very versatile ( stabilised) sharp lens
not the magic of the other 2, but great for more stopped down, landscape type shooting

IMO, Fuji colors are closer to "real" than anything out there, right out of the box

Nov 16 14 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I switched to all Fuji mirrorless and love it....it has differences and drawbacks from SLR's....but with different technique it works very well and is a pleasure to use. The electronic viewfinder is great, in most cases. The glass is amazing. Battery life isn't brilliant, but spares are cheap. Much lighter and less expensive.....color on it is amazing. I've used mine for 6 months, have done 6 weddings with them using 2 XT-1's and 23, 32 Zeiss, 12mm Zeiss, and 56mm 1.2. Much easier on my back and neck after the day is over....have also done studio shoots and location nude and boudoir shoots, engagements, etc. It's done the job. a month ago I sold all my Canon gear. If you want way in depth info....I have many writeups about them.

Just search topics that will help. Message me if you need any info I can provide smile
http://www.jayfarrellphotography.com/?s=XT-1

Nov 16 14 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Jay Farrell wrote:
color on it is amazing.

I hear this a lot. To be honest, I think Fuji did a good job with the JPEGs on the whole, but the camera does have an issue with pure reds under tungsten - they end up twisting towards orange. 

I've seen virtually the same shot on both the Fuji and Canon and it shows this quite considerably.

Nov 17 14 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Anyone play with the metabones or nova flex adapters???

Nov 17 14 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just got my hands on the XF 50-140 2.8 zoom lens today....

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7475/15629769768_9b5388f0f7_c.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5616/15629990630_b5b5e811c6_c.jpg

More on that later this week but some tests around the house are promising...

Nov 17 14 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Damn. Thats a beast.

Nov 17 14 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Untitled Photographer

Dallas, Texas, US

Leighthenubian wrote:
Just got my hands on the XF 50-140 2.8 zoom lens today....

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7475/15629769768_9b5388f0f7_c.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5616/15629990630_b5b5e811c6_c.jpg

More on that later this week but some tests around the house are promising...

Is it a constant f/2.8?

Nov 17 14 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Untitled Photographer wrote:
Is it a constant f/2.8?

yes indeed...and from what I can tell...sharp at 2.8

ISO 3200 at 2.8

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7490/15195278504_c33f460c67_c.jpg[/url]

at 100% i can see the details plain as day

ISO 6400 at 2.8

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7523/15815244185_35599447a4_c.jpg

Nov 17 14 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

^^^
Very impressive! Way to go Fuji.

Nov 17 14 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I hate that I want such a large lens. Kinda ruins the whole point of a small body.

Nov 18 14 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Jason Haven wrote:
I hate that I want such a large lens. Kinda ruins the whole point of a small body.

This is kinda my current quandary. I already own an array of big, fast heavy weather-sealed Nikon lenses. I'm thinking a converter is the way to go, and just buy the fast, light fuji primes I need/want.

Nov 19 14 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

...but guys, I thought it was all about big gear to look the business and impress clients?

Actually I agree, it's large but not much can be done about that given the amount of glass employed. I'm waiting on my copy of the Olympus equivalent to arrive and that lens is way bigger than anything else in the 4/3 lineup.

The funniest bit was a client calling me out on it yesterday...he said, and I quote "what the hell is that, did you go back to the big ugly camera?".

Nov 19 14 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

Okay.. I'm having the hardest time trying to get my raw files to look as good as the jpeg film simulations.. I love these jpegs... I think I'm gonna stop trying smile

f3.6 @ 1/60th
ISO 3200

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8620/15829299381_88a02bbd71_c.jpgDSCF9934 by josedeidaphotography, on Flickr

Nov 19 14 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I know a lot of software struggles with the non-Bayer sensor on the fuji cameras...

Nov 20 14 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Robb Mann wrote:
I know a lot of software struggles with the non-Bayer sensor on the fuji cameras...

once before...but no longer. Adobe has improved and with Deconvolution sharpening the muddiness and water colors are all but gone.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3950/15705803635_a79f5d0338_b.jpg

Nov 20 14 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

XF 50-140mm 2.8 R LM OIS WR 95% crop

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8576/15660198299_d8f545f62d_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7507/15658970190_df542a840d_b.jpg

Nov 21 14 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

OH Fuji.... how about bringing the camera to a full stop when the memory card is full or no card in it at all.. I tend to miss that millisecond mem card full warning.... SOB.

Hope it's a firmware fix.

Nov 21 14 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Happy Thanksgiving peeps

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7572/15709571979_25ab13f4e4_c.jpg

Nov 27 14 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I've started to look for a good nikon F -fuji X adapter.

So far I've tried the $140 metabones "G" adapter and their $100 "AF-D" adapter. Difference is that the "G" gives you some control over aperture. Both kinda suck. The G has to be synced to the camera at min aperture, and offers about 4 stops of aperture control. So on a 85 f1.4 the adapter allows you to use f16-f5.6. After you open up the metabones all the way you can use the aperture ring on the lens for the final stops of control. Best of all, the metabones G adapter is insanely tight in tolerance to both lens and camera. Like, you are afraid of breaking something when you use it. The dumb metabones AF-D adapter, on the other hand has stupidly loose tolerances, as in there is some, minor, play between the adapter/lens and body want assembled.

Two strikes. I did look at the metabones 'speed booster', and it looks like it's in a whole different league, with much higher build standards than their other products.

B&H had many other adapters, but none 'at the store' for demo.

Nov 28 14 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Leighthenubian wrote:
...but guys, I thought it was all about big gear to look the business and impress clients?

Actually I agree, it's large but not much can be done about that given the amount of glass employed. I'm waiting on my copy of the Olympus equivalent to arrive and that lens is way bigger than anything else in the 4/3 lineup.

The funniest bit was a client calling me out on it yesterday...he said, and I quote "what the hell is that, did you go back to the big ugly camera?".

I ditched my DSLR kit in favor of the Fuji lineup to cut weight, so I primarily shoot with their fairly compact and high quality primes, and am happy.

I have the 18-55, which is fantastic for a 'kit' lens btw, and the 55-200, which again, is fantastic for a 'kit' zoom.

Part of me wants this 50-140, seems like it'd be a fantastic portrait lens, but the other part of me throws a fit, because if I'm getting that, why did I toss out the DSLR and heavy f2.8 zoom?

I think what I'll do as time goes forward is keep my Fuji kit compact, and maybe some day get a mid level FF DSLR, and a couple f2.8 zooms, for the "big" kit. Dunno.

But damn, I'm sitting here tempted, because Fuji's lenses have been absolutely stellar so far.

/ramble

Nov 28 14 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Leighthenubian wrote:

once before...but no longer. Adobe has improved and with Deconvolution sharpening the muddiness and water colors are all but gone.

Gotten better, yes, but not nearly as sharp as other software in my opinion. I still end up exporting to Iridient for landscapes, 9/10. Which is frustrating, because Adobe has so many resources, yet this one man software team can get better detail out of these files.

Nov 28 14 04:59 am Link

Photographer

Leighsphotos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jason Haven wrote:

I ditched my DSLR kit in favor of the Fuji lineup to cut weight, so I primarily shoot with their fairly compact and high quality primes, and am happy.

I have the 18-55, which is fantastic for a 'kit' lens btw, and the 55-200, which again, is fantastic for a 'kit' zoom.

Part of me wants this 50-140, seems like it'd be a fantastic portrait lens, but the other part of me throws a fit, because if I'm getting that, why did I toss out the DSLR and heavy f2.8 zoom?

I think what I'll do as time goes forward is keep my Fuji kit compact, and maybe some day get a mid level FF DSLR, and a couple f2.8 zooms, for the "big" kit. Dunno.

But damn, I'm sitting here tempted, because Fuji's lenses have been absolutely stellar so far.

/ramble

I used the Canon 70-200 2.8 MKII...and the Nikon equivalent. Trust me, the weight and size are not comparable. That said, I was shocked to see the overall length.

Nov 28 14 05:11 am Link