Earl Wyant

Elberta, Alabama, US

i have been working on the cinematic color tone any advice would be nice

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 3b0453.jpg

Nov 10 14 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

The image is too flat, you are nowhere near the contrast ratio that film noir implies nor the kind of camera angles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=film+no … CAYQ_AUoAQ

that's the place to start, then you can play with color saturation and all the rest to make it more modern if you decide you want to do this.

Nov 11 14 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Earl Wyant

Elberta, Alabama, US

ok will clarify i know the image is not as contrasty as film noir in its technical term (black film) and the angel missed the dramatic style if anyone has any input on the tone techniques for cinematic ugh not really sure what to call it kinda between tecna color and noir

Nov 11 14 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Earl Wyant

Elberta, Alabama, US

jean i seen your portfolio great work if you have any tips on tone i would love to get them the first image is near what im shooting for only more saturation i think ...maybe . lol

Nov 11 14 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I think I understand, that photo was shot to work within a larger context film feature.

The "look" is essentially selecting a color palette which is slightly de-saturated and moving towards the green tones.  The change is very subtle as the whites are still white and the reds are red.

you can accomplish this look in both film and digital with either filters or slight color balance changes.  You also need to compose your shots very carefully to maintain such a look, in the shot you point to you have a lot of contrasty elements and lines, those may be counterproductive to the final effect you are going for.

This is the latest episode of that shoot (look for the continuity of elements):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BdVeYecFEI

Nov 11 14 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Earl Wyant

Elberta, Alabama, US

wow thats very cool !!!! great characters love the cinematography and thank you for the tone tips

Nov 11 14 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

just want to point out that film noir is not old black and white movies of the detective genre tho many fall into that category..it is just dark films..as in the dark side of the human psyche and life..especially the bad femme fatale..it had a hey day in the b&w film days when it became a genre and where the confusion starts...and still exists....many films are credited as starting this or being the classic of the genre...as for photography, it seems mono with old theme pulp mag style is film noir nowadays...doesn't matter to me, love it all...and any modern take expands it so anyone can interpret and expand on that feel...go for it....Mo

Nov 11 14 07:49 pm Link