Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What Airbrush makeup kit would you recommend?

Makeup Artist

Markizana

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I’m doing research on airbrush to buy and with so many on the market it is so difficult to choose. I have never used an airbrush before, but I’m desperate to try one, to learn how to use it and use it happily in the future. I prefer to invest and pay for a good quality then to buy a cheap one and get disappointed with it. That’s why I really need your advices!  I like different types of make-up: from natural and bridal to creative and body/face painting.
Could you please suggest good quality airbrush brands? I would really appreciate all of your advices.

Thank you very much for your help.

Warm wishes,

Markizana xxx

Nov 14 14 02:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jackie McClay

Brick, New Jersey, US

I have kett and i love it.

Nov 14 14 07:16 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Dinair, not so expensive and good for beginners.  We are just experimenting but use it for brides.  Lasts a long time, buildible (sp) foundation and good for darker skin.  I think it is slower but we are still new.  maybe it gets faster in time.  I'm pretty fast but used to airbrush t-shirts when I was a kid for a couple of years.  I'm the photographer but i bought it for my production team.

Nov 14 14 08:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

if you plan on doing a lot of airbrusing, the most important thing to invest in is a decent compressor.  one that is not too large but enough power with low enough setting available to do the job.  Also you want one that is quiet and not too noisy.

as for the brush "gun", get something that you can easily get parts from.  I personally have both iwata and sparmax.  the sparmax has cheaper parts available.

as for trigger, this is personal preference.  some like finger pressed, and some like grip pulled.

best is to try them out at local store and see which one you like before buying.

Nov 14 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Markizana wrote:
...suggest good quality airbrush brands?

iwata is heavily represented on commercial sets...  and for compelling reasons...
I personally use their HP-C Plus model and have never been disappointed with it's superb attributes...

I also use TEMPTU's SP-35 Airbrush which is an excellent match for TEMPTU's S/B makeup..

Markizana, you'll find the Lion's share of artist are brand loyal to be point of not being objective in promoting any brand which they are not familiar with...  So personal recommendations by artists may not be wise unless you do an extensive polling...

That said, there is no arguing with avoiding any brand which relies heavily on Media advertising... it is likely not professional grade... you'll not see Iwata ads on YouTube ect... hope this makes sense...

Also the product you'll be using enters into the mix... water base verses silicon base is oft an issue... do not mix both in your usage... even if you THINK you've cleaned your airbrush there will be residue of a product which can/will have unwanted and unpredictable consequences...  best advice? a separate airbrush for each product...

Please keep in mind there is a significant learning curve... you'll have to forget much of traditional techniques... there is absolutely no tactical feedback i.e. brush pressure on the skin... everything is done by ear... a.k.a. the sound of the air/product mix issuing forth from the airbrush... proficiency only comes with lengthy practice...

How effective is Airbrush? Does it actually work?

Here are two examples of TEMPTU S/B

https://www.restonstudio.com/gallery/Fgallery9-12.jpg

https://www.restonstudio.com/gallery/Fgallery22-1.jpg

Hope this helps...

Nov 15 14 10:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I would suggest the Temptu Airbrush Foundations and if you want a high quality air brush system then I recommend iwata.

http://www.iwata-medea.com

Do your research, look around the site and see which system will work best for you.

Hope this helps!

Nov 15 14 03:07 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Agree with Thomas.... lots of good info there.

Airbrushing has 2 major consideration:

Color formula/brand - just as with ANY formula, there are different finishes & coverage.

Equipment - The quality of the equipment makes a HUGE difference to speed of application (more power) and DURABILITY. This is one area to not skimp. There IS a trade off in quality/durability when it comes to cheep & cute.

Nov 16 14 09:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sophia Porter

Lemont, Illinois, US

For makeup on the face and light body work, Temptu all the way! I have the S-One, my second one of them, and I can't put in words how much I love it. I had two Dinair compressors with their guns and I wasn't a fan. The Temptu can do body paint but not multiple bodies with a gravity-fed gun etc... Whole different story.

As for the "air gun" make sure you read up on the types and figure out what would suit you best. I like their SP-35 gun, very nice quality and I like how you can control the airflow, came with my systems too. This is better for smaller areas and detailing.

Formulations of makeup is all preference and purpose. I like water-based, when sealed properly, it stays on! For body paint, definitely opt for alcohol-based if its going to be worn for awhile. EBA Endura, Temptu Dura are some alcohol-based that are favorites amongst a lot of people. Mehron LUX is a very pigmented water-based airbrush body paint that works great as well.

Feb 21 15 05:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ronnie D

Austin, Texas, US

I got the S/B from Temptu this week and I'll try it out soon. Anyone have any experience or perspective on the airpods for pro application? I tried it a few years ago for personal use, but I remember the color oxidizing and looking not awesome on me, but my skin tone changes from neutral to warm seemingly at random.

Mar 09 15 08:35 pm Link