Forums > Photography Talk > GEAR SHARE: “What to do with an old enlarger"

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Stone NYC wrote:
And just craigslist, lots of stuff you just have to make a small effort to look.

I need some JOBO 1L clear plastic bottles and a heating element right now. And a 4x5 Beseler in a month when I get some stuff working in the unfinished DR. Keep at it guys.

While some good things via networking here, I will say that craigslist on my side of the country.. I get hits from my area in Portland and onwards up to Seattle, rarely do things get listed cheap.  Maybe some can poach with something that searches automatically every 15 minutes for keywords or something to find them and then they are gone, but photo/camera gear, no real bargains and stuff seems to sit on there a while.

I saw your post on Facebook, so I am trying to watch for the clear bottles for ya smile

Jan 04 16 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

New Haven, Connecticut, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

While some good things via networking here, I will say that craigslist on my side of the country.. I get hits from my area in Portland and onwards up to Seattle, rarely do things get listed cheap.  Maybe some can poach with something that searches automatically every 15 minutes for keywords or something to find them and then they are gone, but photo/camera gear, no real bargains and stuff seems to sit on there a while.

I saw your post on Facebook, so I am trying to watch for the clear bottles for ya smile

Oh interesting, yea I mean, 5 years ago I made a killing buying photo gear on Craigslist, using what I needed at the time, and eBaying the rest, all Canon gear, but now it's not as great, that said, the film photo stuff still seems to be listed pretty cheap now. My 8x10 enlarger was free off of Craigslist, but that's because it's 1,000 lbs and lots of people WANTED it but after a year no one actually could lift it, I got a few strong men and a trailer and got it for a tank of gas. So you have to be willing to make the effort. But each area of the country is different.  Some guys get a lot of good stuff from flea markets, LOTS of good stuff, but around here flea markets are absent of ANY photo gear save 35mm junk cameras. So maybe Seatte has a different outlet?

Thanks for keeping an eye out for the clear/translucent bottles smile

Jan 05 16 12:46 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

just found this on apug... nice deal

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/147 … lders.html

Jan 05 16 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

I'm banned, they said they would let me back after the upgrade because of some kind of new control infrastructure. I'm not sure, they banned me for publicly outing a seller who had sold me a lens that didn't cover what he said it would cover and not accepting a return. They said I was causing trouble, when I was just trying to warn people that the person wasn't honest. But that's the way of forums. I lost $900 so I thought my complaint was pretty valid, it's not like it was a $20 dirty filter I was upset about. It was a lens that should have covered 11x14 and didn't. So it was useless to me and I just wanted to return it. I was a fool for paying by check because the guy didn't want to deal with PayPal, little did I realize that was all part of the plan, no repercussions.

Stone - just a shot in the dark here.  What was the lens you got burned on and do you still have it.  I  shoot 8 x 10, not 11 x 14 and am always on the lookout for cool old lenses.

Jan 06 16 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

Dan Dozer wrote:
Stone - just a shot in the dark here.  What was the lens you got burned on and do you still have it.  I  shoot 8 x 10, not 11 x 14 and am always on the lookout for cool old lenses.

Hey Dan,

It's a 210 Graphic-Kowa in shutter. Sharp as heck at F/22 just this was supposed to be a "special" earlier version that has more coverage (similar to the earlier Fuji W lenses and earlier Schneider lenses before mechanical vignetting was introduced). So I use it as a 210mm on my 8x10. I'll sell it to you at the price I paid. $900

Jan 06 16 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

Stone NYC wrote:

Hey Dan,

It's a 210 Graphic-Kowa in shutter. Sharp as heck at F/22 just this was supposed to be a "special" earlier version that has more coverage (similar to the earlier Fuji W lenses and earlier Schneider lenses before mechanical vignetting was introduced). So I use it as a 210mm on my 8x10. I'll sell it to you at the price I paid. $900

Stone - I can see why you were bummed that the seller tried to pass it off to be able to use on 11 x 14 - that would have been a great lens for that size format.  Sorry, but I already have a 210 Schneider Symmar S that is probably about the same lens as your Graphic-Kowa that I use on my 8 x 10.

Jan 06 16 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Stone NYC

Dan Dozer wrote:
Stone - I can see why you were bummed that the seller tried to pass it off to be able to use on 11 x 14 - that would have been a great lens for that size format.  Sorry, but I already have a 210 Schneider Symmar S that is probably about the same lens as your Graphic-Kowa that I use on my 8 x 10.

No worries, though I highly doubt it's even similar. It's closer to a Computar but it's TINY, it's the smallest lens I own, I'm surprised it handles 8x10 so well honestly, lens design is interesting because it actually has little to do with size in terms of coverage, anyway it's really small, it's smaller than the canon 50mm 1.8 "thrifty fifty" lens, I mean it's SMALL. The glass barely sticks out of the shutter. It has a 40.5mm filter thread if that gives you any idea of how small it is. Good for hiking.

Anyway we are being thread hogs. I wish I had stuff to give away but even the cheap stuff I'm selling on eBay because I don't have spare cash, I'm back in school full time, the next 5.5 years and will have a masters in photo in the end and I hope get a job at an art college.

I have various developing things I'm looking to sell, some old tanks that develop 16mm / 110 film and 70mm / 116 film various other things, but even if I can net $20/thing after shipping, that helps, ya know?

Jan 06 16 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

I donated my super Chromega C enlarger to a youth group.   Hope I didn't ruin any lives.

Jan 06 16 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Jan 09 16 03:43 pm Link