Forums > Newbie Forum > Ya you right!

Photographer

TheBearJieux

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Alright alright alright!

New to MM from New Orleans. I like taking pictures but I want to get more experience in photography. I like to take photos of my favorite bands in town and some have been used on their CD albums.

Working with models seems a little intimidating but I hope that subsides with more experience. I like to think I have my own style and I don't worry too much about the technical stuff. I like to focus more on the subject and capturing "the moment."

Anyway, if you have any tips or suggestions or if you're in town and want some suggestions on where to go, see, and eat, please let me know.

Nov 19 14 10:06 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i started out by paying (very) experienced traveling models. there really wasn't any pressure because they weren't expecting any images anyway. and they pretty much could just do their thing while i snapped away. i didn't have to direct them.

or you can work with newbie models TF where experience in front of the camera may be more important than the images. you fumble around together and help each other learn.

a harder thing is to be a newbie photographer working TF with an experienced model.

TF = trade for images (no money changes hand)

Nov 19 14 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

TheBearJieux

Thanks for the advice! I'm not that wealthy and I'm more incline to TF (I have to learn new terminology) than pay. That's what I do with the bands I photograph. If they put me on their guest-list, I give them all the pictures I take for their own marketing. With this site, I would rather work with models who have a creative idea of what they want to do. I'm just not sure if that is actually going to happen.

Nov 20 14 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

My best suggestion would be to post both a casting notice and an availability notice (3rd button from the left on the tool bar above. Be sure to read the instructions because they are two different things.).  Then check out the castings for photographer posted by models within 50 miles of your location and if anyone sounds as if (s)he would be interested in shooting with you, drop them a short Private Message describing yourself and what you're looking to shoot.  A lot of people here like to denigrate the amateur photographers and models who are here for a social outlet but don't fall into the trap of blowing yourself up and claiming a professionalism you don't yet have.  Instead, punch up the fact that it will be a fun, laid back shoot for the sake of both your portfolios.  You'll also want to browse the newbies a couple of times a week and if you see someone interesting, send them a nice friendly note as well.

You'll probably be best off keeping everything simple at first--Just shoot on the street, you have plenty of good locations in NOLA. and being in a public place will be reassuring to any inexperienced models. 

And while you're about it, have fun yourself--it's the best way to make sure your models are having fun as well and it's more than half the battle.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Nov 20 14 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

TheBearJieux

Simple, fun, public spaces - that's what I'm looking to do. When everyone is together and on-point, awesome pictures are created! It's the same mindset I try to have when shoot bands: http://joshburnsphoto.tumblr.com/image/62166850972

And thanks for the casting notice and availability notice suggestions. I'll look into that!

Nov 21 14 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

OBA Foto

Los Angeles, California, US

Welcome TheBearJieux,

I was in the same situation once.  I am still a newbie as well to model photography.  You've gotten great advice so far. 

I would use some experienced models and develop a rapport with them.  I have used the same models over and over again (this for a couple of reasons, the rapport part and second, the negotiation on rates as I did multiple shoots).

Just my 2 cents.

Nov 21 14 08:53 pm Link