Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Smooth transition between shadows and lights

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Hi Guys,

I wish know how Can I smooth the gradient between shadows and lights. I see most pictures where the shadows is very very smooth from darkness to lighting.

I know D&B but I think that it's not the best way...

here the samples: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6fj6 … 1_1280.jpg

http://cdn.blog.benetton.com/wp-content … ton-5.jpeg

Some info?
Maybe Luminosity Mask?

thanks
w.

Nov 20 14 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

The examples you show has no post work on the shadows . They are lit that way ( by natural lightsources by the look ).
To change the lighting look, in post, from sunlight to cloudy will take a lifetime I think smile  , as every pore in the skin is affected by the light.

Nov 20 14 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I agree -- this lighting was that way at the time of exposure.  Both use a semi-directional diffuse light source, like a large soft box, or a north facing window, or a overcast sky.  Something like that.

Nov 20 14 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

JustinWKing

New York, New York, US

You need a large light source. The larger the source the softer and more gradual the transition. You can experiment with beauty dishes, softboxes, octaboxes, or even bounceing light off of a white sheet, or shooting through a white sheet. Each of these options have a different look, so you will have to experiment to decide which is your favorite for which project.

Nov 20 14 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Well then you say that you can not fake it in post production?

Nov 20 14 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

It is possible using frequency separation to make the transitions a bit smoother but careful that you don't loose natural skin texture.

Nov 20 14 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

E Thompson Photography wrote:
It is possible using frequency separation to make the transitions a bit smoother but careful that you don't loose natural skin texture.

MMmmm I'll try

Nov 20 14 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

You seem (based on your credits) to be experienced.
So at the risk of repeating what you already know...

Shadow transfer area is one of the first things to master after basic lighting for exposure, etc.

If you want a long shadow transfer you need a progressively larger soft/diffused source.
You can also control this with feathering.

This is not something to fix in post, it's basic to the lighting itself.

Nov 20 14 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
You seem (based on your credits) to be experienced.
So at the risk of repeating what you already know...

Shadow transfer area is one of the first things to master after basic lighting for exposure, etc.

If you want a long shadow transfer you need a progressively larger soft/diffused source.
You can also control this with feathering.

This is not something to fix in post, it's basic to the lighting itself.

Yes I know... about physics of light...Big light source near the subject... smooth shadow... I know very well, but I was wondering if with techniques such luminosity mask I can I could get soft and smooth shadows... Well I have a pretty good idea of how to do it with pictures of brightness. I have to try...OR I NEED A BIG LIGHT smile

Nov 20 14 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

walterfantauzzi wrote:
...OR I NEED A BIG LIGHT smile

That would do it.

Beautiful photographs!

Nov 20 14 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Toto Photo wrote:

That would do it.

Beautiful photographs!

wink yes!

Nov 21 14 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

The effect wasn't accomplished with post processing. Notice how directional and soft the light is in these pics. They were probably shot with a big window or patio door. Probably also only with sunlight coming through. But if you have to work with studio lighting instead of sunlight you can drape white polyester fabric in front of the panes and shoot your light through it from the outside. It helps to raise the light high and point it downward into the pane to soften it more. I have a big 84-inch parabolic reflector that works great for doing this.

This is a great way to photograph just about anybody, especially people with darker skin. The more melanin in the skin the more reflective it is, and it tends to highlight easier even with fairly large light modifiers. With a big diffuse source like this you can worry less about your lights and just shoot.

Nov 21 14 10:39 am Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Carl Herbert wrote:
The effect wasn't accomplished with post processing. Notice how directional and soft the light is in these pics. They were probably shot with a big window or patio door. Probably also only with sunlight coming through. But if you have to work with studio lighting instead of sunlight you can drape white polyester fabric in front of the panes and shoot your light through it from the outside. It helps to raise the light high and point it downward into the pane to soften it more. I have a big 74-inch parabolic reflector that works great for doing this.

This is a great way to photograph just about anybody, especially people with darker skin. The more melanin in the skin the more reflective it is, and it tends to highlight easier even with fairly large light modifiers. With a big diffuse source like this you can worry less about your lights and just shoot.

Nice info!

Can you link me some website to buy it?

Nov 24 14 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Do you mean you want to buy the reflector? There are two sources that I know. I use the one from Paul Buff.

http://www.fjwestcott.com/7-parabolic-umbrella-silver

http://www.paulcbuff.com/plm-silver.php

Nov 24 14 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

walterfantauzzi

Rome, Lazio, Italy

Carl Herbert wrote:
Do you mean you want to buy the reflector? There are two sources that I know. I use the one from Paul Buff.

http://www.fjwestcott.com/7-parabolic-umbrella-silver

http://www.paulcbuff.com/plm-silver.php

Hi Carl, thanks smile

Nov 25 14 01:25 am Link