Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Critique me please

Photographer

Ron Goode

Greenville, South Carolina, US

I'd appreciate feedback my portfolio. I'm down on myself lately and would appreciate any comments on what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you.

Nov 20 14 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ron Goode Photography wrote:
I'd appreciate feedback my portfolio. I'm down on myself lately and would appreciate any comments on what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you.

looking over all your work here, I see some struggling with lighting. Some too dark, some too flat, some highlight too blown out. I also am seeing some retouching with terrible gausian blur, which completely kills any otherwise decent image. Some of your work shows some genuine raw talent and good execution of lighting, composition and all around technique. The images that fall short on this ,are easily recognized. Overall, consistency seems to be your most apparent challenge. All is just my humble opinion.

Nov 20 14 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Goode

waynes world pics wrote:

looking over all your work here, I see some struggling with lighting. Some too dark, some too flat, some highlight too blown out. I also am seeing some retouching with terrible gausian blur, which completely kills any otherwise decent image. Some of your work shows some genuine raw talent and good execution of lighting, composition and all around technique. The images that fall short on this ,are easily recognized. Overall, consistency seems to be your most apparent challenge. All is just my humble opinion.

Thank you. Would you be willing to point out a few examples. I do struggle with lighting. I am just beginning to use flash and for the most part shoot natural light. I also tend to shoot dark, usually about -1.  One thing that bothers me in my own images is that when I view at 100% I feel like my images are composed of dark pixels. I don't know if this is because of my shooting dark or something else but I find them very noisy looking, even when my ISO is low. This is my first time asking for a critique. I've been shooting about two years now, and mostly just post on Facebook and get the typical facebook feedback, i.e. all positive, no negatives, which doesn't help me. So thank you.

Keep it coming please.

Nov 20 14 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Goode

I updated my portfolio to what 500px considers my best work. Definitely  some dead wood in my old portfolio.

Nov 20 14 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

Thank you. Would you be willing to point out a few examples. I do struggle with lighting. I am just beginning to use flash and for the most part shoot natural light. I also tend to shoot dark, usually about -1.  One thing that bothers me in my own images is that when I view at 100% I feel like my images are composed of dark pixels. I don't know if this is because of my shooting dark or something else but I find them very noisy looking, even when my ISO is low. This is my first time asking for a critique. I've been shooting about two years now, and mostly just post on Facebook and get the typical facebook feedback, i.e. all positive, no negatives, which doesn't help me. So thank you.

Keep it coming please.

ok, a more specific analysis for you.
#1 5 6 pretty decent and sharply focused. A reflector to add a little more fill light would improve those a lot.
3-highlights on forehead too harsh
7-lighting too much on model's butt and leg, not enough on her face
8-grain ( photoshop noise?)
9-highlights blown out. Gausian blur.
11- well done,distracting blue patch on waist ( removed tattoo? )
12-under exposed and grain issue
15-decent,but one arm stands out too much.
14-blown out,harh lighting
16- decent
17- over exposed, grain issue too
18-focus is bad,as is lighting as well
19-nice!
20-highlights too harsh
27-light on model. More needed.
28- ??? don't like this shot for various aspects.

Nov 20 14 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Goode

waynes world pics wrote:

ok, a more specific analysis for you.
#1 5 6 pretty decent and sharply focused. A reflector to add a little more fill light would improve those a lot.
3-highlights on forehead too harsh
7-lighting too much on model's butt and leg, not enough on her face
8-grain ( photoshop noise?)
9-highlights blown out. Gausian blur.
11- well done,distracting blue patch on waist ( removed tattoo? )
12-under exposed and grain issue
15-decent,but one arm stands out too much.
14-blown out,harh lighting
16- decent
17- over exposed, grain issue too
18-focus is bad,as is lighting as well
19-nice!
20-highlights too harsh
27-light on model. More needed.
28- ??? don't like this shot for various aspects.

I appreciate the specific feedback. I made some changes to my port and got rid of a lot.

Nov 20 14 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

waynes world pics

I appreciate the specific feedback. I made some changes to my port and got rid of a lot.

much better! I knew you had talent! This shows a much stronger port than before.Watch your retouching though...gausian blur does not improve things,but more degrades.First image looks great!

Nov 20 14 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

I just took a gander at your portfolio, and I love what you've got going on in there.
I see three to four different styles.
All really good.
Keep striving to get better, and keep sharing your stuff smile
WELL DONE!

Nov 21 14 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141120/19/546eaac55d679_m.jpg
I think this is your strongest image
Love the rich color of her top
The down side is her chin; models left cheek and let side of forehead look over exposed
{Side note if her fingernails had some color polish it would help to finish her look}

This photo just stands out from the rest

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 21 14 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

There are some nice poses, with good line and form, but the lighting needs a good bit of work. It is really hard to cover the issues on lighting, so I will simply recommend some study on lighting, or even taking some classes lighting.

The state pro associations have week long schools, where they offer a number of beneficial programs that are quite affordable, if you aren't aware. Both SC and NC.

Your first image suffers from the black background. The rest could have worked, if the model had not looked directly into the camera. That makes the viewer want to see more detail in the scene.

Number 2 suffers from lack of sharpness in the jewelry. As a model shot, what is your purpose? An obvious one would be to be selling the jewelry......but it is out of focus. The black background again, with no back light.

Number 3 needed a feminine head tip. The back light is washing out.

Number 4, has what appears to be a lens issue on the right hip, the background color has been artificially induced, and overdone, But the pose is one of your better ones.

Your worst image is the one of the male. It smply has no redeeming qualities.

Nov 21 14 11:15 am Link