Forums > Critique > Am I moving in the right direction?

Model

Torttunaattori

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

Moi Kaikille!

A photographer friend of mine has an awesome vintage bowl chair from the sixties at his home. Naturally, the two of us got together and shoot some.

What should have been an amazing shoot, turned out sort of 'meh'. All on my part, I think the photographer did great. My friend was sweet enough to agree to a reshoot, this Tuesday.

Apart from the obvious scruffy hair and make-up. what else could I do differently next shoot? Expression, angles etc.? This chair is awesome, a vintage icon and very sought after. Therefore I want to do it justice (as well as my friend) with a selection of great pics.

All directions welcome! big_smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141121/12/546fa0a79e57a_m.jpg

Nov 21 14 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Links aren't working.

Nov 21 14 12:08 pm Link

Model

Torttunaattori

shiite! sorry! let me fix that!

Nov 21 14 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Philip R

Agoura Hills, California, US

I love the chair and the pose.  Your make-up looks fine to me.  Your expression seems like you are bored.  Do something...think something...imitate someone.

Nov 21 14 12:34 pm Link

Model

Torttunaattori

Philip R wrote:
I love the chair and the pose.  Your make-up looks fine to me.  Your expression seems like you are bored.  Do something...think something...imitate someone.

Thanks! I will shake it up on the bored-part.

Nov 21 14 12:45 pm Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

As soon as I saw your post and photograph, I thought of the model Twiggy from the 1960's-70's.

I "googled" her and thought that with a little different make-up, hairstyle, a bright yellow dress, (if you have one)and a smile. you could do an awesome retro  Twiggy shoot!

I keep seeing this ad on TV for this eyelash make-up called "Manga" that would do nicely. My girlfriend hates that ad and make-up, but I think it would work great on you.

Best of luck, you have an awesome look already, now go have fun!  smile

Nov 21 14 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

My interpretation of what you are doing is that you are trying to mash a long, lithe and vivacious woman into a round cubby but she won't fit so easily. So you need to show that you can fit into it imperfectly but for you it's only a game and you are ready to pop out of it when it pleases you.

Your left shoulder is pinched against the rim of the chair. Ask the photographer to coach you to correct your position so you look more comfortable and your shoulder is less cramped. Slide your butt a few centimeters outward from inside the chair so your upper body comes outward and maybe your shoulder will come free. Maybe you will have to take the weight off your shoulders when you are sitting there.

Push your chin towards the camera and lower it a bit to give the lower half of your face better shape and keep the camera from looking up your nose. It's almost never good to tilt your head backward. Lowering your chin and extending your neck a bit forward also opens your eyes wider and suggests how feminine and sensual you are. In some of your shots add a smirky little smile with your eyes to complete that feeling.

Try rotating the toes of your near foot outward. Shift your legs around a bit, and maybe try placing your inner foot back deeper inside the chair. Maybe cross your knees, and experiment with different combinations of lines with your legs.

Maybe ask the photographer to shoot some from a quartering angle opposite the side where you are sitting so the camera isn't looking edgewise at you. No matter which direction you shoot this try to think about keeping your shoulder and chin floating near each other. Don't press your chin against your shoulder or hunch your shoulders -- keep your neck long and your shoulders easy. Think like this...

http://www.inbedwithsue.com/wp-content/ … Q5911a.jpg

Nov 21 14 01:15 pm Link

Model

Torttunaattori

Carl Herbert wrote:
My interpretation of what you are doing is that you are trying to mash a long, lithe and vivacious woman into a round cubby but she won't fit so easily. So you need to show that you can fit into it imperfectly but for you it's only a game and you are ready to pop out of it when it pleases you.

Your left shoulder is pinched against the rim of the chair. Ask the photographer to coach you to correct your position so you look more comfortable and your shoulder is less cramped. Slide your butt a few centimeters outward from inside the chair so your upper body comes outward and maybe your shoulder will come free. Maybe you will have to take the weight off your shoulders when you are sitting there.

Push your chin towards the camera and lower it a bit to give the lower half of your face better shape and keep the camera from looking up your nose. It's almost never good to tilt your head backward. Lowering your chin and extending your neck a bit forward also opens your eyes wider and suggests how feminine and sensual you are. In some of your shots add a smirky little smile with your eyes to complete that feeling.

Try rotating the toes of your near foot outward. Shift your legs around a bit, and maybe try placing your inner foot back deeper inside the chair. Maybe cross your knees, and experiment with different combinations of lines with your legs.

Maybe ask the photographer to shoot some from a quartering angle opposite the side where you are sitting so the camera isn't looking edgewise at you. No matter which direction you shoot this try to think about keeping your shoulder and chin floating near each other. Don't press your chin against your shoulder or hunch your shoulders -- keep your neck long and your shoulders easy. Think like this...

http://www.inbedwithsue.com/wp-content/ … Q5911a.jpg

This is awesome Carl, thank you so much! Moving around in the chair was a bit of a challenge

Nov 21 14 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

I'd work on your expression. I find that chair both retro-fun and also funny.
Laugh out loud, many times. Not just a smile, one of those (if you make audible noises) will be awesome. If you don't make loud laughter, this will not work.

If you're going to be serious, then OWN the chair and the whole f'ing room with your expression.

And yes, you're moving in the right direction.

Nov 21 14 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Try going vintage with outfit, and pretend you are going back in time.

Nov 21 14 05:40 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Get naked, and just do it.   

I recall having seen that done with a nude model in a magazine around the time those chairs were new and it was spectacular, she was posed so the nudity was only implied. You can choose to show or not show as much as you want here but skin and curves are perfect given the shape of the chair.

If modesty doesn't let you go there, find unobtrusive vintage style underwear that matches the era of the chair, or a simple tiny thong or g string, and do it topless with strategic arm placement if you can't show anything.

Nov 21 14 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

do what Will Smith did in Men in Black....improvise....Mo

Nov 21 14 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Lallure Photographic wrote:
Try going vintage with outfit, and pretend you are going back in time.

I agree.
Wear a beret, and a mod style dress; see if you can find a pair of 1960's square toed shoes. This makes me think fondly of the Mary Quant floral mini dress I owned for a time.
Also, I think your pale makeup is great for this.
Have fun smile

Nov 21 14 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

4 suggestions

Dynamic Posing - work that chair ( dont just be confined in it ) maybe place a mirror across from yourself to monitor your posing

Black Bikini or Nude

Mix up the angles for the shots,

Oh and show some emotion - but not as much as  Brian here is

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vk8D0J1-1DA/SqpP3bLyHtI/AAAAAAAAAi4/1f8CrVJ-Gi0/s1600/3.JPG

Nov 21 14 09:52 pm Link

Model

Torttunaattori

Thank all of you for your amazing ideas and inputs! 

My initial idea was to go with a sixties feel - Twiggy. And, also that one picture of Edie Sedgewick where she's holding a glass and a cigarette and laughing out loud.

A good second look would be a more evil Bondgirl approach (luckily I have that dress big_smile). Either way, I'll work on conveying more emotion and expression. 

(What we also shot last time, was a business-look (me in power suit) with very strong and I-don't-give-a-shit-poses and facial expressions. Those worked out better. But again, the hair looked like piss..)

Because I am with an agency that covers the more commercial/promotional part of the spectrum, going naked is not an option for this shoot. My manager suggested to polish up the hairdo (which was very scruffy to begin with..) and add a touch more make up - either lips, or eyes. There's no MUAH involved, so I will practice on a sixties look this weekend.

The photographer may have access to his assistant (12 year old daughter, has eyes of an eagle). If she's not available I'll ask him to put up a mirror so I can see what I look like.

I'll of course post the results here as soon as I got them in, so you can tell me if I got it right! big_smile

Nov 22 14 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Torttu Doris wrote:
Moi Kaikille!

A photographer friend of mine has an awesome vintage bowl chair from the sixties at his home. Naturally, the two of us got together and shoot some.

What should have been an amazing shoot, turned out sort of 'meh'. All on my part, I think the photographer did great. My friend was sweet enough to agree to a reshoot, this Tuesday.

Apart from the obvious scruffy hair and make-up. what else could I do differently next shoot? Expression, angles etc.? This chair is awesome, a vintage icon and very sought after. Therefore I want to do it justice (as well as my friend) with a selection of great pics.

All directions welcome! big_smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141121/12/546fa0a79e57a_m.jpg

Your look is kind of black and white but the chair looks pink
Add color to toe nails and fingernails, plus some bright lipstick
The black shoes look clunky in this photo; try bare foot or really pointy toed shoes
Long earrings that dangle
Instead of left arm going down by your side, place it up above your head even if it is outside the chair, make sure your right arm is involved with the pose too
Wear bracelets to match earrings, like many gold bangles on only one arm
Pink dress with big poke-a-dots
Try upside down with head dangling toward floor and legs in the air
A piece of sheer colored cloth that envelopes the chair and is wrapped around you
Have fun with it, just wish I was the one photographing you, it would be awesome!

Nov 22 14 08:45 pm Link