Forums > Photography Talk > Film camera

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

I wonder if any photographer are still using any film camera for their work.

One of my dream is to shoot and work with the medium format film camera at the studio or work place... Well just curious....

Nov 26 14 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

analog light

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

sure

Nov 26 14 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

OZ JOHN

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I use film not for work, but for fun (very rarely).

It is like a car and a horse. If you need to go from point A to point B fast and safe take the car. However, if you'd like to enjoy yourself on a Sunday morning ride your horse in the wind across the green fields... take your time and enjoy...

..., unless you are after some creative and experimental stuff—like shooting with expired film and then tweak it during the development or printing process for artistic contingencies and surprising results.

Keep in mind: it's not done when you get a camera and a roll of film. For professional work you need a fully equipped lab (which also means extra space), different developers for different film types and different photo papers etc. etc. There is still some labs around, however, either not that good or the good ones are too expensive. Besides, if you don't develop and print your own work where is the fun part of it? It becomes a deferred digital.

Film is expensive and time consuming.

I plan shooting film as a romantic retirement hobby : )

Nov 26 14 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Sourcelight Photography

BOISE, Idaho, US

I haven't shot film for a client for years, but I do still enjoy shooting MF film for personal work and to produce images that I can sell as fine art. On the rare occasion that something sells, I guess you could call it "film shot for work." I enjoy it it as a diversion from the relative sterility of digital and as a link back to my photography beginnings.  It's an expensive indulgence, but much cheaper than most of my middle-age alternatives.

Nov 26 14 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Sourcelight Photography wrote:
I haven't shot film for a client for years, but I do still enjoy shooting MF film for personal work and to produce images that I can sell as fine art. On the rare occasion that something sells, I guess you could call it "film shot for work." I enjoy it it as a diversion from the relative sterility of digital and as a link back to my photography beginnings.  It's an expensive indulgence, but much cheaper than most of my middle-age alternatives.

Cheaper than getting a mistress anyway wink

Nov 27 14 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

skim165 wrote:

One of my dream is to shoot and work with the medium format film camera at the studio or work place... Well just curious....

Very many people do.

Nov 27 14 05:04 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

GX680, RZ67 and GW690 primarily.

Nov 27 14 06:31 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

analog light wrote:
sure

I wanna be like you when I grow up.....
smile

Bravo!

To the OP,,, I shoot LF and MF for giggles. Weapons for destruction.  5x4 Graplex, RB67, Holga.

Which reminds me,,, I'm going to have to break down and get a smaller MF camera.  That RB is just a beast.

Nov 27 14 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Gabby57

Ponca City, Oklahoma, US

PhillipM wrote:
I wanna be like you when I grow up.....
smile

Bravo!

To the OP,,, I shoot LF and MF for giggles. Weapons for destruction.  5x4 Graplex, RB67, Holga.

Which reminds me,,, I'm going to have to break down and get a smaller MF camera.  That RB is just a beast.

There are some nice MF rangefinders out there.  For your style the Mamiya 6 or 7 or Plaubel Makina 67 would work nicely, all very sharp. 

I have the PM67 but usually opt for one of the old Super Ikontas that fit into a very small belt case instead.  I like the subtle softness of the old glass I guess.  This was done with a '34 Super Ikonta A, 645 that literally fits in the palm of your hand:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 4455ec.jpg

Nov 27 14 08:09 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

From what I hear, digital can't come close to what you can get with an 8x10 negative.

Nov 27 14 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

A lot are.  I know of one portrait photographer who still uses her Mamiya RZ's and commands a rate about 4 to 5 times that of the average portrait photographer.   And she continues to stay booked.   

One thing is obvious.  Digital did not change the amount of money a photographer makes.  If anything, THAT went down.  All it did was change the speed of delivery.  Ironically, people are actually willing to pay a lot MORE money for something that takes longer to produce.   

It doesn't matter if it's film or digital.  It's your ability to sell it.  Professionally speaking, of course.

Nov 27 14 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Pentax ME Super, Mamiya MSX 1000. Soon to buy another Yashica Mat 124.

Nov 27 14 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Marcio Faustino

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

skim165 wrote:

99% of my work, when I am working, is with film camera. But I don't work often, so I am not a professional.

As somebody said above. Film is not necessay slower. Many people get impressed how fast I deliver the work. Even faster than many digital shooters.

Márcio Faustino

Nov 27 14 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have grown increasingly bored with digital photography over the last ten years.  Five years ago I returned to film.  Today I own 27 film cameras, two of which are medium format.  The Canon 7D used to live in my camera bag but it was replaced by the Pentax K1000 with a few Pentax primes.  Sure, I still have the Canon 7D because I still make a good chunk of change shooting events and local sports but the 7D lives in my closet now next to the crock pot.

Nov 27 14 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

skim165 wrote:

Yes!
Half of my b&w images in my port are shot with my 6x6 Hasselblad 503cx and processed by me; https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/376800/viewall

Nov 27 14 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

90% of what I shoot is with an 8 x 10 Deardorf and 10% is with a 4 x 5 Linhoff Technikardan.

Nov 27 14 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

skim165 wrote:

I use a few.

My favorite among the pack is my EOS 3 with Eye Control.

As I look through the viewfinder, where I my eyes go, the focus points follow. No need to use any buttons or keypad.

If I look at my coffee cup on the foreground, the focus point goes there and locks it in. If I switch subjects and look at the distant background, it follows my eyes and locks focus on the distant buildings.

The EOS 3 had 45 focus points. The 5D, coming out years later, had only 9, and the 7D only had 19.

No other film camera outside of Canon has eye control.

No other DSLR or any digital camera has eye control.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Canon_EOS-3.jpg

Nov 28 14 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

At present, no. Digital is limited to 35mm, and unless I absolutely need to shoot with film, for some reason, I am not currently doing so.

Nor do I maintain a darkroom anymore.

While I see people who are doing that, most are learning photography, I think.

I haven't disposed of my medium / large format film cameras, but that's mostly because the market for them now, is pretty bad, anyway.

skim165 wrote:

Nov 28 14 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
At present, no. Digital is limited to 35mm, and unless I absolutely need to shoot with film, for some reason, I am not currently doing so.

Nor do I maintain a darkroom anymore.

While I see people who are doing that, most are learning photography, I think.

Your view seems to be limited to commercial work. The art photography world is quite different. Even commercially, I still sometimes have clients request film for the shear snob appeal. But that's an upscale market, certainly not volume.

Nov 28 14 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Platinum Images 1

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Yes, I still shoot film.....(several formats) along with digital.

Nov 28 14 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Imageri by Tim Davis

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

I use a few.

My favorite among the pack is my EOS 3 with Eye Control.

As I look through the viewfinder, where I my eyes go, the focus points follow. No need to use any buttons or keypad.

If I look at my coffee cup on the foreground, the focus point goes there and locks it in. If I switch subjects and look at the distant background, it follows my eyes and locks focus on the distant buildings.

The EOS 3 had 45 focus points. The 5D, coming out years later, had only 9, and the 7D only had 19.

No other film camera outside of Canon has eye control.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Canon_EOS-3.jpg

I remember this. Very cool.

Nov 28 14 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I wish I could, but my eyes are just no longer good enough for fine focusing & darkroom work.  Plus, I'm afraid that digital has taught me some bad digital-based habits, like producing a large number of exposures per session.

I love my Bronica GS1 6x7 camera.  Great glass!

Nov 28 14 11:10 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

das ist gut

fewer in-camera gimmicks

Nov 28 14 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Stevenson

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I am still using film cameras. I love film. It is all I like using.

Nov 28 14 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

Not for work, as I used large format transparency film for all my work and medium format for weddings.  Now, the film labs are gone and set up for digital printing, at least here. 

Film is still fun to shoot, but too much of a pain, even for fun, and it's way too expensive now.

Nov 28 14 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

ephopper

Boulder, Colorado, US

Dec 04 14 10:17 pm Link