Forums > Critique > First Studio Shoot In Years

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
As some of you know I usually only do outdoor shoots using natural light.  However, after using a crappy Home Depo light during a shoot recently I decided to order a set of cheap continuous lights with tungsten and daylight bulbs.  Anyway, I just got the lights on Friday so this is my first shoot since like 2009 where I have really used lights.  This is also the first time since then that I've shot anything in a studio.  So yeah, let me know what you think of the studio images, and the ones I shot outside, and let me know which image(s) you think I should add to my port.  The studio ones are a mix of daylight and the lights at the same time.  Thanks!

STUDIO

NUMBER 0 (NEW)
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6246-Edit_zpsc17fad3f.jpg

NUMBER 1
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6278-Edit_zps06064cc7.jpg

NUMBER 2
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6324-Edit_zps11c76fbc.jpg

NUMBER 3
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6386-Edit_zps3666e4fb.jpg

NUMBER 4
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6412-Edit_zpse5f23f44.jpg

NUMBER 5
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6437-Edit_zpsaf18f08b.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

OUTDOORS

NUMBER 6
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6467-Edit_zps843bb707.jpg

NUMBER 7
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/dw_zps7fcc9821.jpg

NUMBER 8
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6600-Edit_zpscda32b54.jpg

NUMBER 9 (NEW)
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y508/YajhilAlvarez/IMG_6509-Edit_zps3de3773d.jpg

Dec 02 14 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Photo 1
Wrinkles in shirt by arm pits, really takes away from this image
[Remember the goal is to show off designer clothing on human mannequins]
Like head position, with only one ear showing
Models right hand, wish all of fingers were visible
Lighting looks good, only area is on models right side of forehead looks a bit hot, bet you could burn that in a bit

Photo two
Like the lighting
Odd thing on wall by your logo, could Photoshop out
Not a fan of the crop below the knee

Photo 3
Like the lighting and pose of head
For me he is leaning over a bit too far, he is also seated on table too far, move him so he is just leaning on edge [Sitting fully on table is distorting shape of his bottom]

Photo 4
Odd crop of leg
Over all lighting seems dark

Photo 5
Use the background of photo 3
With short hair best to show only one ear
Interesting side lighting
Great capture of his eyes

Photo 6
Pose makes models front seem hollow or concave
Photoshop out gray thing along photo left

Photo 7
Love the expression and lighting
Good capture [would give this an 8 or 9 out of 10, ok call it 8.5]
What would I change, move models right arm a bit forward and to side, then raise crop at bottom of photo to just below bottom button of shirt, trying to get rid of dark area at bottom step [Change the crop will give it a 9]

Photo 8
Thought he was crouched by the edge of a hole, realize it is the reflection of the building
Will have to call this cleaver use of a location
[My story line, he is looking for a lost set of car keys, on a cold January day]

EDIT: 7 is my top pick

Wish you well

Dec 02 14 07:24 am Link

Photographer

F O R B E S

New York, New York, US

The overall quality of the photos look awesome. The model however, looks very stiff. He doesn't seem like he's relating to the camera. The shots would of worked better with a different model.

Cheers.

Dec 02 14 07:30 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Lee_Photography wrote:
Photo 1
Wrinkles in shirt by arm pits, really takes away from this image
[Remember the goal is to show off designer clothing on human mannequins]
Like head position, with only one ear showing
Models right hand, wish all of fingers were visible
Lighting looks good, only area is on models right side of forehead looks a bit hot, bet you could burn that in a bit

Photo two
Like the lighting
Odd thing on wall by your logo, could Photoshop out
Not a fan of the crop below the knee

Photo 3
Like the lighting and pose of head
For me he is leaning over a bit too far, he is also seated on table too far, move him so he is just leaning on edge [Sitting fully on table is distorting shape of his bottom]

Photo 4
Odd crop of leg
Over all lighting seems dark

Photo 5
Use the background of photo 3
With short hair best to show only one ear
Interesting side lighting
Great capture of his eyes

Photo 6
Pose makes models front seem hollow or concave
Photoshop out gray thing along photo left

Photo 7
Love the expression and lighting
Good capture [would give this an 8 or 9 out of 10, ok call it 8.5]
What would I change, move models right arm a bit forward and to side, then raise crop at bottom of photo to just below bottom button of shirt, trying to get rid of dark area at bottom step [Change the crop will give it a 9]

Photo 8
Thought he was crouched by the edge of a hole, realize it is the reflection of the building
Will have to call this cleaver use of a location
[My story line, he is looking for a lost set of car keys, on a cold January day]

EDIT: 7 is my top pick

Wish you well

Thanks!  It's funny but you always tend to point out things i did and do on purpose or acknowledge during the shoot and decided it was fine with me.  Get out of my head lol.  We might not agree but I like that you point out my thoughts.  By the way, I had no idea anyone would see number 8 as a hole.  Now I see why someone would see that.  I wonder if other people will see it too.  That's interesting.

Dec 02 14 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

F O R B E S wrote:
The overall quality of the photos look awesome. The model however, looks very stiff. He doesn't seem like he's relating to the camera. The shots would of worked better with a different model.

Cheers.

Thanks!  I am thinking of doing more studio stuff so I'm glad the quality is good.  Thank you :-)

Dec 02 14 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Lighting isn't bad. The posing still has room for improvement. There is, perhaps, a lack of purpose to the images, other than as model portfolio shots.

Dec 02 14 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Your lighting in studio is good, but in this set I prefer the punch from the outdoor shots.  The last is my favourite.

Dec 02 14 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
Lighting isn't bad. The posing still has room for improvement. There is, perhaps, a lack of purpose to the images, other than as model portfolio shots.

Thanks!  Yeah these are for his port.  My images right now are just to highlight the models.  I wanna get into fashion-y stuff someday soon though but for now this works for me.

Dec 02 14 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

David Kirk wrote:
Your lighting in studio is good, but in this set I prefer the punch from the outdoor shots.  The last is my favourite.

Dec 02 14 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Added one more, Number 0, just in case anyone else wants to give me feedback :-)

Dec 04 14 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think they are all good

with a tidier background #3  would be magazine advertising quality

Dec 05 14 01:03 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
I think they are all good

with a tidier background #3  would be magazine advertising quality

Thanks!  Do you mean number 2 or number 3?  It starts at 0.  If you mean number 3, what do you mean by tidier?  Thanks!

Dec 05 14 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:

Thanks!  Do you mean number 2 or number 3?  It starts at 0.  If you mean number 3, what do you mean by tidier?  Thanks!

#2 then

tidier - as in less distracting - distractions include that the wall is not a uniform pattern and that there is a garment strewn over the top of the sofa by his leg

Dec 05 14 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:

#2 then

tidier - as in less distracting - distractions include that the wall is not a uniform pattern and that there is a garment strewn over the top of the sofa by his leg

Thanks!  Yeah it was some painting the studio had that I thought would look cool in black and white, and while i still think it looks cool, i should've moved the couch to do a couple of shots on a plainer background which is what I originally wanted to do but decided not to do.  Thanks :-)

Dec 05 14 12:20 pm Link

Model

Chloe Selene

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I'm not a photographer so lighting is not my expertise, but for what it's worth, I thought your lighting both in & outdoors looked great.

My favorites are 5 & 7!

Dec 06 14 12:46 pm Link

Model

Vanessa Hope

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I like 0,6 & 7 the most.

They are most natural looking that do the model justice. Great work!

Dec 06 14 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Sineann wrote:
I'm not a photographer so lighting is not my expertise, but for what it's worth, I thought your lighting both in & outdoors looked great.

My favorites are 5 & 7!

Thanks!

Dec 06 14 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

VanessaHope wrote:
I like 0,6 & 7 the most.

They are most natural looking that do the model justice. Great work!

Thanks for the help!

Dec 06 14 06:45 pm Link