Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Just when you think you've seen it all

Dec 10 14 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

I'm impressed at how many people think that is even possible.

Dec 10 14 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Chuckles.  Actually, I can think of how it could be made (in theory anyway). Just not holding my breath.

Dec 10 14 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Yeah. I donated to their Kickstarter Campaign. Amazing stuff. The launch date has moved twice since they were funded but now it looks as if March 2015 is solid for US roll out. I can't wait.

Dec 10 14 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Not sure you should hold your breath on that.

Dec 10 14 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Schlake wrote:

a fool can be parted from their money with ease

Dec 10 14 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What's so impossible about it? Looks cool

Dec 10 14 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Aaaw shucks! There goes my French Cuffs!

Dec 10 14 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Solas wrote:
What's so impossible about it? Looks cool

For one the touch sensitive holographic projection..... Explain how that can be made now?

Dec 10 14 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

John Photography wrote:
For one the touch sensitive holographic projection..... Explain how that can be made now?

That's actually the easy part. The technology's been around for a while now.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1631/

Dec 10 14 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Caradoc wrote:
That's actually the easy part. The technology's been around for a while now.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1631/

I have that and while cool it's not exactly the same thing as in that promo video.

I want them to show us a working prototype.

Things to consider

What kind of battery power is needed to project the image as portrayed in the promo.

Where are the speakers?

Again that battery. It would need to be of some capacity to meet the demands of usage even in that video.

Howcome the guys finger doesn't cast a shadow?

You could never multitouch on this device even if it was real.

I smell a rat

Dec 10 14 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

The ‘Cicret’ is out – this futuristic bracelet doesn’t exist
http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/the-cicre … xist/52677

"There’s a term for hardware that companies promise and is never released – vapourware. While it’s only fair to give Cicret its fair chance at developing the prototype its viral video promises, there seems to be a lot of hot air around this bracelet’s development so far."

Dec 12 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Michael Bots wrote:
The ‘Cicret’ is out – this futuristic bracelet doesn’t exist
http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/the-cicre … xist/52677

"There’s a term for hardware that companies promise and is never released – vapourware. While it’s only fair to give Cicret its fair chance at developing the prototype its viral video promises, there seems to be a lot of hot air around this bracelet’s development so far."

Like I said: Not holding my breath (or donating).

Dec 12 14 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Lohkee wrote:
Chuckles.  Actually, I can think of how it could be made (in theory anyway). Just not holding my breath.

I just checked out some technical stuff and the smallest pico projector would still be too big for that bracelet.... So not holding my breath.  Not to mention the power requirements.

Dec 12 14 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

My aunt has one.

Dec 12 14 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lohkee wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J7GpVQ … e=youtu.be

http://www.cicret.com/wordpress/

It took 14 seconds to understand that this is bullshit... and another 16 seconds to stop that video, while laying in bed, trying to get to the appropriate key to stop and exit this stupidity...

Beam me up, Scotty, there is no intelligent life down here!

Dec 12 14 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

John Photography wrote:
Things to consider

What kind of battery power is needed to project the image as portrayed in the promo.

Where are the speakers?

Again that battery. It would need to be of some capacity to meet the demands of usage even in that video.

Howcome the guys finger doesn't cast a shadow?

You could never multitouch on this device even if it was real.

I smell a rat

The guy's finger doesn't cast a shadow because the video is faked. It's not even motion-corrected.

The other concerns as to the battery power, optics, etc. - all valid. But even multitouch isn't beyond the pale - the "laser keyboard" I linked earlier has an "invisible mouse" mode that will work with multitouch.

Dec 12 14 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Schlake wrote:

It's extremely possible, albeit it probably won't happen overnight and probably using some other technologies than they portray.

Many of the technologies shown in the video are already in products commonly sold today.

For instance, the projected display from an item about the size of an led is already found in some Sony camcorders that can be purchased at Best Buy for @ $250. 

Instead of using straight beams to detect finger placement, I'd think that using something more like the autofocus sensors in many small digital cameras would be more suitable.  The current sensors can pick out and even track more than one person in a photo.  Instead of using that technology to pick out people and transmit data for the lens to focus, it could probably be adapted to pick out fingertips and transmit data like a computer pad does.

The technology to do all the things in the video is out there, it's just the time and expense of making the first real unit that may be out of reach at this time.

Dec 12 14 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

It's extremely possible, albeit it probably won't happen overnight and probably using some other technologies than they portray.

Many of the technologies shown in the video are already in products commonly sold today.

For instance, the projected display from an item about the size of an led is already found in some Sony camcorders that can be purchased at Best Buy for @ $250. 

Instead of using straight beams to detect finger placement, I'd think that using something more like the autofocus sensors in many small digital cameras would be more suitable.  The current sensors can pick out and even track more than one person in a photo.  Instead of using that technology to pick out people and transmit data for the lens to focus, it could probably be adapted to pick out fingertips and transmit data like a computer pad does.

The technology to do all the things in the video is out there, it's just the time and expense of making the first real unit that may be out of reach at this time.

Yeah, but that's what you can say about ANYTHING. I'm sure faster-than-light travel is possible too and that technology exists to not make Lena Dunham look like an obnoxious pig but those things are well into the future. That's the point many people are making in this thread...the technology will be here, it's just not here NOW, so that said, the video in the OP is nothing but a hoax...one that MANY people are falling for.

Speaking of which, did you know that the word "gullible" is actually not in the dictionary? Strange, but true.

Dec 13 14 01:04 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Caradoc wrote:

The guy's finger doesn't cast a shadow because the video is faked. It's not even motion-corrected.

The other concerns as to the battery power, optics, etc. - all valid. But even multitouch isn't beyond the pale - the "laser keyboard" I linked earlier has an "invisible mouse" mode that will work with multitouch.

The laser keyboard is real I own one.......  But it needs a really flat smooth surface to work on and lighting not too bright or you miss seeing the keys, It's not as bright in any of the promo pics... But it does work, and it works well.

Dec 13 14 05:05 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

FilmmakerDC wrote:
Yeah. I donated to their Kickstarter Campaign. Amazing stuff. The launch date has moved twice since they were funded but now it looks as if March 2015 is solid for US roll out. I can't wait.

I have a virtual bridge to sell you. Only $25,000. Paypal me here and I'll show you the prototype on my arm.

Dec 13 14 05:33 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:

I have a virtual bridge to sell you. Only $25,000. Paypal me here and I'll show you the prototype on my arm.

Then howcome Kickstarter kicked them off their site?

Dec 13 14 07:01 pm Link