Forums > Critique > Looking for a bit of advice (and critique)

Model

QueenGiraffe

Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom

Recently I have been getting quite a few critics saying that because of my height I am limited when it comes to professional modelling and I am probably best suited to either Art nude modelling, Glamour modelling or Beauty.

I have to agree when it comes to my height and say that I am most certainly a very short model, I wonder If I could get some advice as I wish to begin my venture with nude modelling and glamour modelling but I do not feel as though I am the right shape for either as I am very thin and don't really have major curves which may seem more appealing with these types of modelling - be as harsh as you like but I would love to hear your words of wisdom!

Dec 11 14 04:26 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Courtney, every size and shape works for nude modelling. Being thin is just as suitable as having curves. You aren't so thin that you look awkward, which is the only real hindrance to nude modelling. I think you'd be perfect as an art nude model, and from what I can tell from your photos, you do have nice curves and a lovely figure.

If I can still do it, and I'm out of shape and old enough to be your grandmother, then you can surely do it much more easily.

Have you considered posing in studio or classroom for artists and art students? That's also another interesting genre of nude modelling that many of us find very rewarding.

My personal opinion is that modelling in the nude is probably the single most empowering thing a woman can do for herself. Don't hesitate to go for it!

Dec 11 14 04:30 pm Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

MatureModelMM wrote:
Courtney, every size and shape works for nude modelling. Being thin is just as suitable as having curves. You aren't so thin that you look awkward, which is the only real hindrance to nude modelling. I think you'd be perfect as an art nude model, and from what I can tell from your photos, you do have nice curves and a lovely figure.

If I can still do it, and I'm out of shape and old enough to be your grandmother, then you can surely do it much more easily.

Have you considered posing in studio or classroom for artists and art students? That's also another interesting genre of nude modelling that many of us find very rewarding.

My personal opinion is that modelling in the nude is probably the single most empowering thing a woman can do for herself. Don't hesitate to go for it!

I was hoping that you would give me advice as I have looked at your port and I find you wonderful and inspirational to people like myself! I do still feel nervous but I am very excited as I have my 1st ever Art nude shoot scheduled before new year and in a way I can't wait! I also love the idea of posing for art students as I feel it would give me the confidence I need to feel natural baring all - Thanks again!

Dec 11 14 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

PINUPZ PHOTO-ART

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Hi Courtney,
I left you a few comments on your photos. The b+w of you on your stomach
shows that you have a beautiful figure. You have more than enough curves to work with. You have a excellent start and i look forward to seeing more of yourwork as you gain experience. Feel free to message me if you want any tips.  Bob  smile

Dec 11 14 05:06 pm Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

PINUPZ PHOTO-ART wrote:
Hi Courtney,
I left you a few comments on your photos. The b+w of you on your stomach
shows that you have a beautiful figure. You have more than enough curves to work with. You have a excellent start and i look forward to seeing more of yourwork as you gain experience. Feel free to message me if you want any tips.  Bob  smile

Thank you very much bob! I am very excited to be heading in the Art Nude direction as I like the fact that every single body is unique and can bring something totally unique to a photograph - it is my canvas and I can't wait to show it and be proud of it!

Dec 11 14 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I am an Art Photographer. I think your stats seem proportional and absolutely wonderful for art photography. Please take a moment to look through my port you will see young and mature women of all ages.

You would be amazing to shoot with. I am only sorry that I am on the wrong side of the pond.

Dec 11 14 05:14 pm Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:
I am an Art Photographer. I think your stats seem proportional and absolutely wonderful for art photography. Please take a moment to look through my port you will see young and mature women of all ages.

You would be amazing to shoot with. I am only sorry that I am on the wrong side of the pond.

Tell me about it! Forever wishing I was in the US! I would love to take a trip there for modelling! I will certainly take a look at your port! Thank you!

Dec 11 14 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Courtney, you have a pretty shape. Your proportions are wonderful. And your face is shaped beautifully too. I hope you are successful and you enjoy yourself.

All the complaining these past few years about the sizes of models in ads causes me to wonder why nobody has demanded the fashion industry do more with women in the petite to average height range. There are enough beautiful models in the 5'-2" to 5'-5" height range to fill magazines for a long time to come and they look wonderful.

Dec 11 14 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

mophotoart

Wichita, Kansas, US

the only thing you will find as a brickwall is runway which is terribly biased to tall and thin shapes...ignore it...let your beauty work...and work it...Mo

Dec 11 14 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Blaschke

New Braunfels, Texas, US

Courtney, you should check out Kiera Grant's portfolio (https://www.modelmayhem.com/keiragrant). She's only slightly taller than you and lean, not curvy. Yet she's never at a loss for work. It's about how you carry yourself, confidence and professionalism. As long as you treat nude shoots (or artist model sessions) as any other professional assignment and don't second-guess yourself, I expect you will be fine.

Dec 11 14 06:33 pm Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

Carl Herbert wrote:
Courtney, you have a pretty shape. Your proportions are wonderful. And your face is shaped beautifully too. I hope you are successful and you enjoy yourself.

All the complaining these past few years about the sizes of models in ads causes me to wonder why nobody has demanded the fashion industry do more with women in the petite to average height range. There are enough beautiful models in the 5'-2" to 5'-5" height range to fill magazines for a long time to come and they look wonderful.

Thank you very much! It really is lovely to get so much support from others here and I totally agree with you I don't know why there needs to be a 'standard' its almost as though anyone under 5"5' doesn't exist - lol maybe they just can't see us down here wink

Dec 12 14 01:54 am Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

mophotoart wrote:
the only thing you will find as a brickwall is runway which is terribly biased to tall and thin shapes...ignore it...let your beauty work...and work it...Mo

Thanks again Mo for your lovely comment on my profile and your lovely comments here, Its funny actually Ive never been all that interested in runway stuff anyway (In my head I always just saw it as walking with stylish clothes on ) don't get me wrong there are loads of gorgeous models who absolutely rock it! but its just not for me (even despite my short legs haha)

Dec 12 14 01:59 am Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

Jayme Blaschke wrote:
Courtney, you should check out Kiera Grant's portfolio (https://www.modelmayhem.com/keiragrant). She's only slightly taller than you and lean, not curvy. Yet she's never at a loss for work. It's about how you carry yourself, confidence and professionalism. As long as you treat nude shoots (or artist model sessions) as any other professional assignment and don't second-guess yourself, I expect you will be fine.

Thanks very much for that link Jayme! And your kind comments - I had always thought of glamour models and nude models to be all curves and the more profiles I look at on here the more I have been proven wrong! Her profile is exceptional and she is a real beauty! I actually can't wait to get started I'm kind of just going for the whole "lets go for it" attitude for the end of 2014 and certainly hope to keep it up throughout 2015 too!

Dec 12 14 02:02 am Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

Why am I not in the US! Gutted! Really thinking of taking a trip just for modelling and meet up with some of you lovely people!

Dec 12 14 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Blaschke

New Braunfels, Texas, US

Courtney Griffiths wrote:
I actually can't wait to get started I'm kind of just going for the whole "lets go for it" attitude for the end of 2014 and certainly hope to keep it up throughout 2015 too!

Keep us updated--I, for one, and interested to see what you create with this new found enthusiasm. If you do manage to work up a trip to the U.S. and Texas makes it on to your travel plans, I'd be happy to work with you.

Dec 12 14 07:24 am Link

Model

Katrina480

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

MatureModelMM wrote:

Agreed, don't let height stop you from pursuing your career. While many popular models are tall and thin, not all are. In comparison to them, I'm relatively short and fat myself. tongue 

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do well. xx

Dec 12 14 08:32 am Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

Jayme Blaschke wrote:

Keep us updated--I, for one, and interested to see what you create with this new found enthusiasm. If you do manage to work up a trip to the U.S. and Texas makes it on to your travel plans, I'd be happy to work with you.

I will certainly keep you posted Jayme! Hopefully you will be able to see my port as it progresses too!

Dec 12 14 04:00 pm Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

Katrina480 wrote:

Agreed, don't let height stop you from pursuing your career. While many popular models are tall and thin, not all are. In comparison to them, I'm relatively short and fat myself. tongue 

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do well. xx

Thank you all very much for the support! You have all been so lovely!

Dec 12 14 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I might be wrong but ... Isn't nude art photography modeling and nude modeling for art students different? From what I understand, modeling for art students can be very difficult - you have to maintain the same pose for 15 mins. or more, also the rates can be kinda low.

It is refreshing and encouraging to see a model enthusiastic about modeling that might not include runway or being signed to an agency.

Dec 12 14 07:48 pm Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

DCurtis wrote:
I might be wrong but ... Isn't nude art photography modeling and nude modeling for art students different? From what I understand, modeling for art students can be very difficult - you have to maintain the same pose for 15 mins. or more, also the rates can be kinda low.

It is refreshing and encouraging to see a model enthusiastic about modeling that might not include runway or being signed to an agency.

Thank you very much DCurtis - I really like your work!

Dec 13 14 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Glamour photography does favor curvier models (not a hard fast rule). Art nudes (which can be an umbrella term for a lot of different styles I've found) cater to models of all shapes, sizes and body types. Don't sweat it. I don't think you'll have much problem finding interested parties smile

Dec 13 14 11:39 pm Link

Model

QueenGiraffe

Mark C Smith wrote:
Glamour photography does favor curvier models (not a hard fast rule). Art nudes (which can be an umbrella term for a lot of different styles I've found) cater to models of all shapes, sizes and body types. Don't sweat it. I don't think you'll have much problem finding interested parties smile

Thank you very much for your kind advice Mark smile I really appreciate it!

Dec 17 14 03:59 pm Link