Forums > Critique > Tell me, do I have it?

Model

Stoyan Stoyanoff

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Hello!

I have been wanting to become a model for several years now. 2 years ago I made a profile here to help me do that. Nothing really happened and I was inactive for year and half 'till now. I made a recent photo session in black and white. I uploaded 5 new photos.

So my question is this: Do I need to pay for 1-2 more photo sessions to extend my portfolio or this will be a waste of money? I mean do I really have the looks? Some of my friends over the years have told me that there is really something special in my face. But I am starting to think that I am just like everybody else. I will be turning 23 next year in January. Still got nowhere. Could you help me put some light on my future as a model?

Thank you

Dec 14 14 02:50 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I'm going to say this from my perspective in what I look for when I pick models.  For me, you are a bit on the skinny side.  Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.  I think it doesn't work for you because of your strong jawline.  Now if you gained more weight and put on some muscle, I think your look would be much stronger.  Also, you aren't showing your teeth in any of the pictures which worries me because it makes me think that there is a reason why you aren't showing them.  I also think you need practice, specially with your face and lips.  You tend to push your lips together and squint your eyes a little and that's it.  I feel like you just aren't doing enough.  Because of these reasons I personally wouldn't pick you.  However, if you did gain the weight and muscle and smiled or at least showed more progress in the way you are modeling I think you could easily get jobs.  Again, just my opinion.  Hope it helps.

Dec 14 14 03:29 am Link

Model

Stoyan Stoyanoff

Thank you! I am not showing my teeth because I think that in some way when I smile I look ridiculous. As for putting some more muscle I will definitely look into that.

Come on people, critique me some more! I'm waiting.

p.p. Mr. Alvarez, I have yet another question. Do my nose come a little too strong(big may be is the right word, I don't know.) I've considered a rhinoplasty but perhaps doing it will be a mistake? I mean do I need some operation to help me or is it just a lot of hard work and dedication that I really require. More smiling, training and so on, like you said.

By the way, I am really sorry if my questions sound stupid but this is my childhood dream and it is the thingy that I want to do professionally so to speak. I want it to be my life.

Dec 14 14 03:56 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I don't think you should be getting surgery.  I think what makes us unique is what can make us great, most of the time anyway, so I would focus more on training yourself.  That's just my opinion though.  When I looked at your pictures the last thing I focused on was your nose.  Like I said, when I saw them I first thought "he's a little too skinny", then "he would look great with more weight and muscle on", followed by "I wish he wouldn't do that with his eyes and mouth so much".  I never thought about your nose.

Dec 14 14 04:13 am Link

Photographer

EROart London

London, England, United Kingdom

to me you have the "actor" face not much of a model

good looking? - yes

would you get a job for Calvin Klein? - nop

would you get an acting job? - Yes (if you can act of course)

I see bit Adrien Brody when I look at you (but bit better looking version)

Dec 14 14 04:35 am Link

Model

Stoyan Stoyanoff

Well, actually I finished an acting class a month ago. We will see in the future about my acting career. But the statement ,,I would never got job at Calvin Klein" really hurts me. But this is why I posted this thread after all - to get opinions. I really hope that some of your colleagues would say otherwise.

Please people, continue with your critique and opinions.

p.s. Mr. Alvarez, again: Thank you for opinion and for that you spared some of your time to write in my thread!

Dec 14 14 04:46 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Male modeling requires demonstrated skills, just like female modeling. You have to have MORE than a face.

Number 14 is your best image. At least there is emphasis on something you can be selling.

Until you learn HOW to model, you are not likely to get much interest.

Indeed, this is the number ONE fault I see on this entire site, for models, and for male models especially.

Dec 14 14 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141214/02/548d678fda715_m.jpg
Place your hands on the outside of your upper arms do not hide them
[First 3 photos have the same problems]
Replacement

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141214/02/548d66338ab59_m.jpg
Why are you hiding your hands behind your back?
[2 images with same issue]
Replacement

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120607/05/4fd0a24c7d661_m.jpg
This I can actually see as a sun glass add

Can your portfolio benefit from a quality photo shoot, yes!
Will you make it in the modeling business, well you have answered that by saying you have been inactive for a year and a half, the older you are the harder it will be to get work.

Have you tried any agencies and asked them for advice?

Wish you well

Dec 14 14 07:19 am Link

Model

Stoyan Stoyanoff

Well, I have contacted 2-3 agencies but the male modelling business in my country is not so developed. It is pretty hard to become successful model here. So my primary let's call it ambition here is to maybe by any chance some outside agency to notice me.

As for the hands, that is obviously a mistake by me. I know there is a lot of work to be done. But that is not the problem. I want to work, I want to work that profession every day 12-13 hours how much it is necessary. It is my passion. The problem is I cannot developed model skills because there is no work at all. The only way for me is to pay every time I make a photo shoot 'till some day it's gonna work. My question is this: Do I Have The Face for this business? Do I have the hair, the eyes, the jawline, the nose? Do you understand me, guys? I am willing to spend the money. So I am asking experienced and successful photographers like you who have made it in USA. A market that compared to the market in my country is enormous. Actually I can't even compared them. I really wish I was born somewhere else. But that's it. Thank you all for sparing some of your time to help me and to give me advice. I really appreciate it. The thing is that deep in my heart I know I was born to be a model, to be an actor, to take photos. The only time I have ever been happy in my life is when I was before a camera taking pictures or videos.

Go on guys! Thanks again you all.

Dec 14 14 09:34 am Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Well.. I'm not really in a position to tell you if you would make it as a model or not. But I don't think you should worry about your looks. Nothing wrong with your nose! Really. Your looks are fine.
Though not all the pictures in your profile are letting you shine...
I'm sorry to say that your latest series (in B/W) isn't really doing it for me, neither is the white backgroundphoto at the end. The other photos(on the street with the black shirt) look good!
Though I'm not really a fan of many similar pictures in a row.. (so I'd bring the b/w-series down to two...)
Practice makes better, if you shoot more regularly you'd probably get more relaxed, being able to give more variety in poses and expressions (smile smile )... (Though I can see how you might be hindered if you have to pay for every shoot without having any workingprospectives..)

Dec 14 14 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Industrial Images

Farmington Hills, Michigan, US

None of us can really tell you if you have the look to be a successful model; only a modeling agency/agent can do that. Have you considered traveling to a bigger market and going to some open calls at actual agencies? You need to get this kind of feedback from actual people who would be booking you for actual modeling or acting jobs. Also, if they like you, you may have to move to that larger market in order to live your dream if an agency is interested. I know models who have moved several times to live their modeling dream because they were with a big agency like NEXT or Elite.
Fyi - I was a professional model previously with multiple agencies in the USA & am retired now which is why I tell you to do this. As much as we like to use model mayhem for some fun networking opportunities, it does not get you the types of work that an agent can. Just my $0.02, for what it's worth.
As for your photos, you just have to loosen up a bit and have fun. The best models in the world can show more feeling and emotion. Don't be afraid to smile a bit....if the photos don't turn out you can always delete them! But I was told a while back when I modeled that some clients want to see what your teeth look like or if you even have teeth. For some acting jobs, certain types of teeth may add to the character you are playing.
Good luck!

Dec 14 14 04:26 pm Link

Retoucher

Orenj Haro

London, England, United Kingdom

Your nose is one of your best features so don't you dare change it smile Personally I think you've got the look. I like you. Nothing needs to be changed surgically. You just need to work on posing. Get some better shoots and a portfolio without hair gel. Good luck to you. You're very handsome. Get some better fitted clothing. Try something artistic with the photographer.

Lastly.. loosen up a bit. Try not to be too modelly or forced? Give us a smile. Move around more. Some more spontaneous pictures.

Dec 15 14 05:57 pm Link

Model

Stoyan Stoyanoff

Thanks,

I needed that smile . I'm going to do my best to improve myself and to make my dream reality. Thank you, guys!

Some more comments are welcome as well.

Dec 16 14 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Stoyan Stoyanoff wrote:
The problem is I cannot developed model skills because there is no work at all. The only way for me is to pay every time I make a photo shoot 'till some day it's gonna work. My question is this: Do I Have The Face for this business?

You can develop skills even without jobs. Learning modeling skills must be like learning any other kinds of skills -- you have to decide what it is you need to be able to do, then practice doing it so it is your nature. Compare your portfolio photos with the ads, editorials, etc., where you want to see yourself and decide if you are doing the same thing. I suggest you might see that you need to convey more power but look more dispassionate. You will notice ad models have an "easy" but distant look when their faces are relaxed and unexpressive

I couldn't tell you whether you have "the look" for any particular purpose, but I would say you can do it. You have the right height, and you have a strong face with good features. If you find designer clothes fit you well then you don't need to add bulk to your physique. You may only need to tone yourself up.

Learn to analyze yourself in your photos and set goals you can accomplish. Otherwise, if you leave it all to the photographer and hope he might capture a few good photos then you may be wasting your money.

Dec 16 14 07:44 am Link