Forums > General Industry > Need help choosing a city to get started

Model

Antonio Banderas The

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Hello all! I'm currently living in Providence, RI and am saving up money to move to a location with more model opportunity this coming summer (around June). I've tried my hand at agencies in Boston but what I soon found out was the market isn't very big and models don't find too much work around here and that it's very commercial, etc..

My goal is to find an agency to join with and my dream goal is to do print modeling for magazines and big clothing retailers. I hope to move to a location with a lot more opportunity to help me reach my goals but I'm having a lot of trouble picking the right one. I'm also very much in the dark about the industry, I do a lot of research on my own but any help I can get from you guys would be immensely helpful and appreciated!

The cities I am considering and their reasons are:

Orlando - I hear there are a lot of acting opportunities at Universal and Disneyworld. I studied theater in college so I think I could do well there. I however want to model and not act, so are the modeling opportunities worth it?

Toronto - This was recommended to me by a photographer but other than that I have no idea whether or not it's a good place to start a modeling career.

Chicago - Again, just another recommendation. I don't know much about it.

NYC - Being a newbie this was my initial choice, however I hear that since NYC is so "A-list" and competitive it is very difficult to find work there for a newbie.

LA - Another recommendation, I don't know too much about it either.

Toronto is at the top of my list right now just because I've heard that it is up and coming and someone new like me would probably find work much easier than say, in a large competitive city like NYC. I also do not currently own a car so a transit system would be very helpful. However if the opportunity is large enough in a place like LA or Orlando I would put in the effort in purchasing a car for my own.

What do you guys think of for city recommendations?

Dec 14 14 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I think Orlando, and acting would fit your look the best.

Dec 14 14 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

I'm not in a fashion capital so you'd do well to take this with a grain of salt.  Also, there is much more to both modeling and photography that relies on models than fashion.  But according to what I read in the Financial Times, the fashion capitals of North America are:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Miami
4. Dallas
5. Chicago
6. Toronto
7. Vancouver, BC.
8. Las Vegas
9. Boston
10. Mexico City
11. Houston
12. Atlanta
13. Montreal
14. San Francisco
15. Austin

Dec 14 14 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Toronto is in another country - (me being Capt. Obvious)

CAN you work in Canada on an ongoing as a US citizen without visas - work permits Etc??  Might not be so easy as "I'll move to Toronto"

I'm sure a northern MM member could fill you in..

Dec 14 14 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

You would need a working visa for GTA, not likely unless you are already a popular working model.

Orlando for acting?  Maybe it's just me but I don't know of many significant productions going on there on a regular basis.

Your best bet it is to submit to agencies in the areas of the US you are considering.  If one picks you up than you have your answer.

Dec 14 14 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I've lived and worked as an actor (and sometimes model) in Chicago, Cleveland and New York.  Quite frankly, for a beginning actor or model seeking to turn what is essentially a hobby into a viable living, I think that whatever cities you can reach within two hours of your home (by public transportation if you don't have a car) are the best places to start out.  That would include Boston and New Haven in your case, both of which have significant creative communities which are the underpinnings of both acting and modeling careers.  Much easier and cheaper to establish your bona fides and your portfolio/resume in those markets (and Providence itself) than in major markets such as New York, Chicago or L.A.  If you can't get your toe in the door in the smaller markets, it's unlikely that you'll be able to in the larger ones.  There's not enough work in any of these cities for the experienced models, actors and dancers that are already here.  It would be that much harder for a brand new newbie.

As has been pointed out, unless you can get a work visa Toronto is probably out for you.  I don't know Orlando, but my impression is that the Florida market is a more suitable market for female models than males.

On the other hand, If you just want to move to one of these cities because you're tired of Providence, then why not--you're certainly at the right age for just such an adventure and who knows, you might click.  Just make sure you have a way to support yourself before you make any major commitments or burn any bridges.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Dec 14 14 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Young Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

I work at Disney and don't know any modeling/acting opportunities other than being equity which is ridiculously competitive and takes a while to get to. Unless you don't mind putting on a fur suit for less than 10 an hour. Depending on how tall you are, you may look a little Goofy

Dec 15 14 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would take Toronto off your list. The work you'd have to put in just to be able to work here would not be worth it. There is nothing "up and coming" about Toronto, it is a large city both in terms of population and in terms of "model value". It has a thriving film/TV industry (second only to Vancouver). Competition here is just as fierce as New York or L.A. but with less opportunity in general.

I'd focus on getting your portfolio started before saying there's no opportunity where you are currently.

Dec 15 14 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Move to NYC

Hang with the cool kids

Hope to get discovered

Dec 15 14 04:25 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Ok, to be fair, I don't think you fit the mold all that well, for modeling, as a male model. That automatically puts you behind the 8 ball, in a major market.

However, if you are interested in acting, then the nearest place for you, in NYC. That is going to be predominantly, the soaps, etc, in that market.

Most of the acting industry is still Hollywood.......but you will be competing with all the rest of the young wannabes, in America, there, so you had better be bringing some serious ability.

Make sure you leave your fantasies at home, and live in the real world, to work towards your goal.

Dec 15 14 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Dillon JC wrote:
Hello all! I'm currently living in Providence, RI and am saving up money to move to a location with more model opportunity this coming summer (around June). I've tried my hand at agencies in Boston but what I soon found out was the market isn't very big and models don't find too much work around here and that it's very commercial, etc..

My goal is to find an agency to join with and my dream goal is to do print modeling for magazines and big clothing retailers. I hope to move to a location with a lot more opportunity to help me reach my goals but I'm having a lot of trouble picking the right one. I'm also very much in the dark about the industry, I do a lot of research on my own but any help I can get from you guys would be immensely helpful and appreciated!

The cities I am considering and their reasons are:

Orlando - I hear there are a lot of acting opportunities at Universal and Disneyworld. I studied theater in college so I think I could do well there. I however want to model and not act, so are the modeling opportunities worth it?

Toronto - This was recommended to me by a photographer but other than that I have no idea whether or not it's a good place to start a modeling career.

Chicago - Again, just another recommendation. I don't know much about it.

NYC - Being a newbie this was my initial choice, however I hear that since NYC is so "A-list" and competitive it is very difficult to find work there for a newbie.

LA - Another recommendation, I don't know too much about it either.

Toronto is at the top of my list right now just because I've heard that it is up and coming and someone new like me would probably find work much easier than say, in a large competitive city like NYC. I also do not currently own a car so a transit system would be very helpful. However if the opportunity is large enough in a place like LA or Orlando I would put in the effort in purchasing a car for my own.

What do you guys think of for city recommendations?

The job of a model is to sell things. The real money has always been in establishing yourself as a brand and "renting" that out to other brands. That's what supermodels have always done.

Where you are is totally irrelevant. For commercial modeling jobs, they'll fly you to where you need to be. As far as getting seen, online is way more relevant.

Study Alysha Nett.

Dec 15 14 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
Move to NYC

Hang with the cool kids

Hope to get discovered

Be a cool kid. The rest follows.

Dec 15 14 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I can't really help you choose a city.

I can, however, suggest that before you make a final decision, you should research your target cities.  For example, you might find things like this Cost of Living comparison tool helpful.

Good luck.

Dec 15 14 11:26 am Link

Photographer

David Tiberio

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

You will easily find work in Japan and China.

Americans often get asked on the street to appear in Chinese films.

Japanese love American pop culture, such as rap, to the point where Japanese people dress up to look like rap artists.

Jan 13 15 09:21 pm Link