Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Cleaning up skin from a digital projector

Photographer

MC Seoul Photography

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

A while back I tried recreating an image from Kate moss's shoot in playboy of this year.
(NSFW)

http://www.nssmag.com/data/images/galle … 014202.jpg

specifically the one on the right. My partner had a projector in the studio, and I made up some overlays and gave it a try. It didn't turn out bad, but the digital project made somewhat of a mess with the skin. I wish I had some kind of analog projector.  What i noticed is that all over the skin is a grid pattern from the digital projection.

I've looked at a full size scan of the Kate moss one from the issue, and it seems they either used an analogue projector or a digital one which doesn't project that kind of pixel grid pattern.

Any ideas on cleaning something like this up?

Here is an example. this is not a keeper, but clearly shows the issue at hand.
http://imgur.com/xxTgUh0

Obviously I'd like to avoid this in the future, I've been googling and I've just found out this is called the "Screen door effect" and they suggest DLP projectors don't suffer from this? anyone got one and can confirm?

Dec 17 14 02:20 am Link

Retoucher

CLICK retouch

Denver, Colorado, US

I'll list a couple of things of the top of my head, but this is really too much effort, it's easier to reshoot.

-Selection based on high pass. Make a high pass layer, then use threshold to make a mask for a lighten adjustment. Refine the mask.
-Dodge and burn.
-Make lighten/color correction layers using selective color.
-Hue saturation and go into individual channels to adjust hue/saturation/luminosity.
-Inverted high pass blurred by a third.

Dec 17 14 07:25 am Link

Photographer

MC Seoul Photography

Thanks, I'll try some of those.

Right now not exactly easier, someday it will be. We're looking for an affordable DLP projector here in Korea first, but the girl who likes to shoot this stuff with me is in India for a few months. So I've got a little time to see if I can't clean up one or two of the good ones.

Dec 17 14 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Dec 17 14 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

MC Seoul Photography

I've seen that. No pentax support out of the box, so I'd have to find an adapter that worked with it, or buy some cannon lens.

Then I'd have to print transparencies.

I like to experiment a lot, so I may create or download random patterns or things to use. I'd have to see how much of a hassle it'd be here in Korea to get those transparencies created. if I can find a second hand DLP projector around $200 or so I might go for that. We've already got the computer to run it. If not, maybe I'll look into making transparencies. I do like the projector a little more because it's easier to line up intricate patterns. and you don't have to fiddle with focus quite so much.

I guess this is a price vs ease of use issue with that light blaster. But it is pretty cool.

Dec 17 14 05:59 pm Link