Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > What do you think of my website?

Makeup Artist

Leanne Harpin

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

I just finished putting together my portfolio on a website. I was curious what you guys though of the website and portfolio.
Any comments and/or constructive criticism is welcomed!
http://leanneharpin.daportfolio.com/

Dec 23 14 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Sennia Kyle

Seattle, Washington, US

Hi there, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you have 2 galleries called "beauty" but there are only a few actual beauty shots in there, mixed up with mostly fashion shots. I''d create a separate beauty album and a fashion album, or just call them "gallery 1" and "gallery 2" if you really want to keep them intermixed, for greater clarity. Also, the "Male Grooming" section gives me pause... I''m not sure why the photos of guys would be separate from the rest of your portfolio (unless you''re advertising specific services and listing them as such, which I don''t see).

All of that said, from what I can tell, you do great work. smile

Dec 23 14 11:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Leanne Harpin

By beauty shot, do you mean the tight shots on the face?

Dec 24 14 12:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Leanne Harpin

I've seen makeup artists categorize male makeup under male grooming to make it sound less girly (guys can get freaked out over the word makeup) I did reorganize my fashion work with the full body shots of the men, but I don't know where to put my male head shot since it's not really fashion.

Dec 24 14 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Sennia Kyle

Seattle, Washington, US

Ah, ok, I see smile I think it was just the word "grooming" that struck me as odd, but if that''s a useful thing, I totally get it!

And yes, "beauty" would specifically be close-up portraits of makeup and/or hair. Fashion is typically anywhere from full to 1/2 length shots, or even 1/4 sometimes too, but beauty is a signifier that it''s a photo meant to emphasize the makeup and hair only. Doing a google image search on "beauty photography" and then another one on "fashion photography" is really interesting if you want to get a better feel for the difference.

Dec 24 14 08:53 am Link

Model

Chase Hall

New York, New York, US

Leanne Harpin wrote:
I just finished putting together my portfolio on a website. I was curious what you guys though of the website and portfolio.
Any comments and/or constructive criticism is welcomed!
http://leanneharpin.daportfolio.com/

Nice images in your portfolio smile

Have you heard of Reveu.me before? It's a site where you can get portfolio reviews and critiques from top fashion photographers Lindsay Adler and Alvin Nguyen, or photography agents and reps. Or even top indie magazines like Dark Beauty, Obvious, and Superior. Feel free to check it out - www.reveu.me
Hope this helps.

Dream Big
- CH

Dec 18 15 08:16 am Link