Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > I want to do an 80's themed project... tips?

Model

StephBar

Seattle, Washington, US

Hi! I posted in the critique forum that I had 80's fever and wanted people to share their makeup shots of the 80's style..

Well now I am posting here to ask all you lovely MUAs how to effectively do an 80's style. I'm fair skinned and a little freckled, with hardly any eyelids to put makeup on (80's glam rock?) I have been looking on youtube and such for tutorials...

What would you recommend? can someone pull this look off with drugstore quality makeup? I'm not a very rich model/artist...

Any other ideas or suggestions for an 80's style that I might be able to pull off? Got some neat 80's makeup stories? And if you've got pics of that, please feel free to put them in my other thread under the fun and games section of critique. I want to list some nice 80's styles!

Thank you smile

-Stephanie

Dec 28 14 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Check out Cyndi Lauper?

Dec 28 14 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

2A Models

SOUTHWORTH, Washington, US

Dec 28 14 07:59 pm Link

Model

StephBar

Seattle, Washington, US

Thanks smile I also want to find some models who have done some 80's style looks.. how would I go about finding that? can anyone slip me any names to check out on here?

Dec 28 14 09:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

google the Blitz kids
I was there , I was a club kid and started my career in 1980 , and I was also a dancer on the first Nu wave tv show in America called MV3 ( came out the same year as MYV )
your question is really vague
There were a ton of different scenes in the 80s
Punk , Nu Wave , Mod , Rockabilly , New Romantics and New tribalists ecy ect

which were you looking to create ?

if you want heres a few things to youbube

liquid sky ( the fashion show )
Any early Siouxsie and the Banshess
Robert palmer  addicted to love
Visage   fade to grey

that will give you a start

a few models from then

Cindy Crawford
Paulina Porizkova
Kim Alexsis

a good tip , remember the 80 s were the age of excess , the attitude was   whoever has the most toys wins
and that translated to makeup , full face   everything was done , and the sharp credit card blush ( a lot of women used a credit card to get a hard sharp blush line that looked like the Nike check   from the temples down the cheek in a sharp manner

there are literally thousands of references on the web

Patrick Nagel is an ok reference  , but it wasn't how everyone looked at all , there were a ton of different things going on in the 80s and that's what made it so special , everyone had " their thing "

Dec 29 14 04:24 pm Link

Model

Svetlana Muerte

Austin, Texas, US

If you really want to do it old school on the cheap: Wet N Wild. I loved that stuff in the 1980s. Electric blue nails! Weird copper eyeshadow to look "natural" or something!

Stupid bangs! Cody powder! Yes, over-powder. You can never have too much powder--at least in the late 1980s in Houston.

It depends on what kind of 1980s you want to do. 1980s wild makeup? Cyndi Lauper (like the previous poster stated) is great. So is Lisa Bonet when she was on the Cosby ::shudder:: show in the episode where she only did up one half of her face.

For late 1980s, Kelly Bundy was the damn bomb.

And don't pluck those eyebrows, gals! ~furry natural pollywogs~

Dec 29 14 06:29 pm Link

Model

StephBar

Seattle, Washington, US

Thank you for some names and starting places! I'm discovering the 80's for myself and don't know all of the lingo yet - so this is VERY helpful!

smile

My eyebrows are super natural, but I do put stuff in them to darken them - i think that's a No-no for some 80's looks.

Yay! I have bunches of stuff to look at! Thanks again smile

Wet N Wild is like...awesome.

Dec 29 14 08:13 pm Link

Model

Svetlana Muerte

Austin, Texas, US

StephBar wrote:
My eyebrows are super natural, but I do put stuff in them to darken them - i think that's a No-no for some 80's looks.

Yay! I have bunches of stuff to look at! Thanks again.

I took a look at your portfolio. You need to Molly Ringwald. You need to Molly Ringwald the shit out of it. With the red hair and full lips, you could totally pull off a 16 Candles or Breakfast Club. Don't forget your lip gloss!

Dec 29 14 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

80s pop was remarkable for its unisex stylings. Even preppy and hard rock fashions didn't necessarily have strong gender distinctions. There were probably more young women who followed the hair band look than did the guys.

http://youtu.be/5dDCcMRpUnc

Dec 29 14 08:56 pm Link

Model

StephBar

Seattle, Washington, US

Here! here! Look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIh42WhkFSM

From the Liquid Sky "fashion show" on youtube.. at 0:21 is the look I want to try! Omg I love it. So andro. Could be so Andro-Femme. I don't have sound for my computer, or headphones neaby, so I wanted to ask what style that is? My guess is it is part of rock culture in the 80's..

Sorry for being so green about this!

Oh, wow Molly look great! I found this magazine cover: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 … 0c84cf.jpg

I could totally pull off that expression (but my teeth aren't straight..) and makeup. Her makeup looks kind of light though, but I could so do that.

Dec 29 14 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

2A Models

SOUTHWORTH, Washington, US

TheMakeupMan wrote:
Patrick Nagel is an ok reference  , but it wasn't how everyone looked at all , there were a ton of different things going on in the 80s and that's what made it so special , everyone had " their thing "

I stand corrected.

Dec 30 14 12:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

2A Models wrote:

I stand corrected.

Don't get me wrong , I owned a unfinished nagel of a male ( rare )  love nagel , for me itt was just more than that

Dec 31 14 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

TheMakeupMan wrote:
google the Blitz kids
I was there , I was a club kid and started my career in 1980 , and I was also a dancer on the first Nu wave tv show in America called MV3 ( came out the same year as MYV )
your question is really vague
There were a ton of different scenes in the 80s
Punk , Nu Wave , Mod , Rockabilly , New Romantics and New tribalists ecy ect

which were you looking to create ?

if you want heres a few things to youbube

liquid sky ( the fashion show )
Any early Siouxsie and the Banshess
Robert palmer  addicted to love
Visage   fade to grey

that will give you a start

a few models from then

Cindy Crawford
Paulina Porizkova
Kim Alexsis

a good tip , remember the 80 s were the age of excess , the attitude was   whoever has the most toys wins
and that translated to makeup , full face   everything was done , and the sharp credit card blush ( a lot of women used a credit card to get a hard sharp blush line that looked like the Nike check   from the temples down the cheek in a sharp manner

there are literally thousands of references on the web

You're right - my first inclination was to mention big-hair, but upon reflection, that was more the every-man look (every girl). There were a whole lot of subcultures forming and going on at the time, each having a style.

Dec 31 14 03:30 pm Link