Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Airbrush for body painting!

Makeup Artist

MakeUp By Krystyn

La Porte, Indiana, US

I'm investing in an airbrush, but I feel stuck. I know I want an Iwata model, but I'm not sure if I need it to be gravity fed or bottle fed. What are the pros and cons between them?
Also, what would the recommended compressor be for body painting?
I know I will use it mostly for body painting, but sometimes I will use it for normal makeup looks as well.

Jan 06 15 12:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MakeUp By Krystyn wrote:
Airbrush for body painting

Lisa Berczel or Rich (forum moderator) are your go to for wisdom on the aforementioned... hopefully one or the other will be kind enough to share their knowledge here...

MakeUp By Krystyn wrote:
I'm investing in an airbrush, but I feel stuck. I know I want an Iwata model

Savvy choice, far to many emerging talent are pennie wise but pound foolish here... iwata has dominated on commercial sets for over a decade and for compelling reasons. 

MakeUp By Krystyn wrote:
...I'm not sure if I need it to be gravity fed or bottle fed. What are the pros and cons between them? Also, what would the recommended compressor be for body painting?
I know I will use it mostly for body painting, but sometimes I will use it for normal makeup looks as well.

Krystyn I'm not aware of any commercial artist using a bottle feed for bridal... and the inverse holds true. It would be cruel and unusually to subject a talent to hours of application while an artist attempts to body-paint with gravity top feed gun...

You are located in a secondary market... bridal is possibly the best option for generating a revenue stream...  that said if you are independently wealthy then do whatever makes you happy...

btw, in my market (Washington DC) body-painting is not currently in demand nor has it been over the past half decade thus I would be waiting tables or on welfare if I had to rely on body-paint gigs...  seriously

As for recommending a compressor for body painting? You'll need a piston type with an internal storage tank which can maintain at least 20psi + (actual constant flow) which translates to a 40psi rating...  Keep in mind that air flow rating has to be consider here also... I have an iwata Smart Jet Studio Pro which I totally love... it has worked flawlessly for over a half decade and is capable of driving a bottle feed spray gun...  Lisa will have a much better handle on this class of compressors...

So the take away here is you'll need two (or more) airbrushes / spray guns if you are going to pursue body painting and makeup artistry...  I typically have a minimum of two airbrushes when doing bridal... especially with TEMPTU S/B.... one for skin (foundation/contour/highlighting) and one for blush/eye decor...

Hope this helps...

All the best on your journey...

Jan 06 15 06:46 am Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Iwata is a solid brand - along with Badger, Paashe and Grex.

Bodypainters typically own 2 airbrushes.
Top/Gravity feed for details (also the preferred choice for makeup)
Bottom feed for larger coverage, gradients & blending.

My personal choice is a Side Feed trigger style from Grex for larger coverage.
I have a CHOICE of either using a side cup OR adapt to a bottom feed for fast bottle color changes.

Just be certain that the compressor is substantial enough to handle a bottom feed. Look for a 35psi Working Pressure auto-shut off model from Iwata or Grex.

NOTE: I occasionally distribute for Grex, so I'm not unbiased.

Jan 06 15 01:33 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

In looking at your portfolio, as an airbrush instructor, I suggest you start with a gravity feed Iwata HP-CS, then I work work toward buy a second brush a siphon feed Iwata HP-BCS. As posted two brushes will be helpful and importantly so as your work interests cross over, beauty makeup to extreme makeup to body painting.

My main interest is body painting if I saw that in your port I'd say reverse the order and start with the BCS. Yes. there a many good brands, I love my Iwatas and many of the top artists I know use these.   Sometimes the brush one uses is based on what they started with, what they could/can afford, what the were told to buy, what they were gifted, who they work for, if they sell a brand or if the are represented by a product.  There are some good brands, just stay with the top few brands out there.  No matter the brand of brush - it is you who will make it create. With the Iwatas you will find these two brushes to meet all you needs and be real work horses that will last a lifetime.

While an airbrush is and airbrush the gravity feed vs siphon have clear differences.  The gravity top feed will allow you to use small amounts of makeup and work well at the lower pressure needed for facial applications.  The con is for body art your going to full that bottle cup over and over.  The siphon/bottom feed airbrush allows you to swap colors quickly and has more makeup for larger applications, and works better at a bit higher pressure. The pros and cons are simple and not huge . Either brush will work well for you, but again it comes to what you plan to do the most of right now...in the upcoming earning period, before you can invest in another brush....what will you use the most to get the best bang for your buck.

Jan 06 15 02:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MakeUp By Krystyn

La Porte, Indiana, US

Thank you all so much! After thinking about it, I do realize that I do detailed stuff more often. I have some interest from photographers and models for body paint, but not enough to warrant a bottle fed brush just quite yet.
Seriously, this was so helpful!!! Thanks smile

Jan 06 15 05:11 pm Link