Forums > Photography Talk > Polaroid back issues

Photographer

KBPHOTOGRAPHY

London, England, United Kingdom

Hello All,

Time for the stupid question of the day.

I have a Mamiya 645AFD, a Polaroid Back and I have Fuji's FP100C polaroid film.

The back appears to be a generic one but connects the the Mamiya 645AFD perfectly and the film fits in perfectly, when I take a picture it only develops on a small square of the actual film, roughly 9cm x 6cm while the film is 14cm x 11cm (excluding the white border). I have taken a look at the back of the Camera and the front of the Polaroid back and the holes are only 9cm x 6cm, yet the film fits perfectly in the back. Am I missing a trick here or can I only produce a Polaroid of 9cm x 6cm with the Mamiya 645AFD, it does not seem right being a decent medium format camera.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 14 15 11:20 am Link

Photographer

ephopper

Boulder, Colorado, US

Yep, that's just the way they are made.

Jan 14 15 11:26 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Yep - that's how my polaroid back is for my 35mm. You have a 35mm sized rectangle exposed on the big sheet of film.

Jan 14 15 11:29 am Link

Photographer

KBPHOTOGRAPHY

London, England, United Kingdom

Thanks for the quick responses, told you it was a stupid question smile

Jan 14 15 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

From my experience with my Hasselblad it is the same. The image size on the print is the same as the negative size of the type of camera - 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 in my case.  It doesn't fill the whole sheet.  Its only really good for proofing.

Jan 14 15 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Los Angeles, California, US

If it is a rotating back you maybe able to pull the mask off of the back and get a square pic the size of the largest dimension.

Jan 14 15 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

kberryphotography wrote:
Am I missing a trick here or can I only produce a Polaroid of 9cm x 6cm with the Mamiya 645AFD, it does not seem right being a decent medium format camera.

there is no trick to it. the back replaces the film back at the same film plane. there is no optics - so it produces exactly the same size image as a film negative back.

Jan 14 15 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

kberryphotography wrote:
Hello All,

Time for the stupid question of the day.

I have a Mamiya 645AFD, a Polaroid Back and I have Fuji's FP100C polaroid film.

The back appears to be a generic one but connects the the Mamiya 645AFD perfectly and the film fits in perfectly, when I take a picture it only develops on a small square of the actual film, roughly 9cm x 6cm while the film is 14cm x 11cm (excluding the white border). I have taken a look at the back of the Camera and the front of the Polaroid back and the holes are only 9cm x 6cm, yet the film fits perfectly in the back. Am I missing a trick here or can I only produce a Polaroid of 9cm x 6cm with the Mamiya 645AFD, it does not seem right being a decent medium format camera.

Thanks in advance.

A Polaroid back on a 6x4.5 camera gives a 6x4.5, on a 6x6 camera gives a 6x6, on a 6x7 camera gives a 6x7 and so on.  As said above, a Polaroid back on a 35mm camera will produce an image the same size as a 35mm film.... 24mm x 36mm.

Jan 14 15 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

It simply makes a photo the same size the regular film negative would be. If you notice the film backs opening window is the size of your negs, so it masks the polaroid print to your negatives size.

Jan 15 15 08:01 pm Link