Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > putting an animal to sleep - too soon or too early

Photographer

Daren King

Santa Monica, California, US

I am sure most people here have had to deal with this situation. 

Is it better to put an animal to sleep too early or too late ?  I had a cat that I got as a kitten.  I loved it so much and it was such an awesome cat.  At around age 18 it had skin cancer that really started taking its toll.  I knew the cat was sick and suffering but I just couldn't bare to put it to sleep.  I kept hoping it would just pass away in its sleep. 
One day my mother comes to visit and she hadn't seen the cat in about a year and she says "omg, its so sick, you really need to put it to sleep"
Finally about 2 months later after it wouldn't eat and could barely walk I put it to sleep.
I realized in retrospect that, IMO, the animal suffered needlessly for longer than it should have.  How much longer ?  I don't know but probably a few months at least.
Based on this I decided that for any future pets, when they got old and had cancer or another ailment that I would try to put them to sleep earlier.  However, how do you determine when is a good time ?

Jan 16 15 07:00 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Man, what a tough scene.

I was over my parent's house when their cute doggy was on his last legs.  This cute doggie survived doggie 'Aids' and had to have injections every day of his life.

This Schnauzer acted like a little puppy from day one. 

One night, he was in obvious pain, panting, problems with his stomach and how can I say... you just 'knew' he had to be put down.

When you see an animal every day, you get to understand their behaviors/moods/etc.  Animals like people get sick, but when you see a sudden downturn and nothing changes, that's the time to call it a day.

I remember opening his doggie coffin before my Dad and I buried him.  He was still warm and looked so peaceful:)

Jan 16 15 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

I've had to put many pets down over the years and it never gets easier. I figure when the pet's quality of life is poor, the animal is in pain and the pain isn't going to let up... when delaying the decision is more a cruelty than a kindness, it's time.

Jan 16 15 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Daren King

Santa Monica, California, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Man, what a tough scene.

I was over my parent's house when their cute doggy was on his last legs.  This cute doggie survived doggie 'Aids' and had to have injections every day of his life.

This Schnauzer acted like a little puppy from day one. 

One night, he was in obvious pain, panting, problems with his stomach and how can I say... you just 'knew' he had to be put down.

When you see an animal every day, you get to understand their behaviors/moods/etc.  Animals like people get sick, but when you see a sudden downturn and nothing changes, that's the time to call it a day.

I remember opening his doggie coffin before my Dad and I buried him.  He was still warm and looked so peaceful:)

So in the case you describe was it too late or just the right time ?

Jan 16 15 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

JosephZahnlePhotography

Caldwell, Idaho, US

Hello Daren

I am sorry you had to go through this painful ordeal.

I know how you feel. I have had to put down a dog and a horse. The dog I put down fast as it was going crazy. The horse I put off to long. I lived in a very remote area so I turned the horse loose hoping he would just wander off. He wouldnt leave me. Another heart breaking experience.

Now I would put them down as soon as I see a decline in their health and appear in pain. I would get a Vets opinion first also.

Sometimes life just sucks

Jan 16 15 07:19 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Daren King wrote:

So in the case you describe was it too late or just the right time ?

Just the right time.  One night of suffering after watching him suffer short bouts of the same... this night was different.  I guess we all were sensitive to his pain.  It appeared unbearable and it was the right thing to do.

Jan 16 15 07:29 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If they're in pain, when they can't get themselves around, when they stop eating and drinking, if they're suffering organ failure, etc. it hurts to let them go but it hurts them for us to hold on.

Cats especially are very good at masking any pain they're in. If you notice sudden shifts in weight loss or weight gain or they're hiding out more than usual, won't eat or drink, not using their litter box (going elsewhere or not at all) it's time to see a vet and figure out what's up.

I've had very few animals pass peacefully and painlessly. Most of the time you have to make the tough call.

Jan 16 15 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

My cat became sick at the beginning of December and she died this past Christmas day. We went to see the vet a few times during the first part of the month, but when I realized it wasn't getting us anywhere and it was only terrorizing my cat -- she has always been super sensitive and anxious about going anywhere -- I decided we were done with that. I stayed home with her as much as I could and kept her company. It was a horrible month, but I wouldn't have had her put to sleep. An animal will never ask to be euthanized, but will only want you to be kept company and given comfort as she spends her life doing for her people. I know some  disagree with this reasoning, but we don't euthanize the people we love. Dying is part of living, the same for companion animals as well as for people. It's a process for you and for the cat.

Jan 16 15 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had to have my dog put down about 14 years ago, and it was very hard.  I did vacillate for a few months.  It was a difficult thing to admit that his quality of life was poor because of his health problems.

My mother knew a woman who cluelessly did a terrible thing with her old dog.  The dog was very sick with cancer, but this woman thought it would be cruel to have it put down.  She was very pleased with herself, and convinced she did a good thing, when the poor creature finally died one day in it's sleep more than a year after it's diagnosis.  It suffered for that long.  It was excruciating for my mother to have to listen to this woman's speech about how she did the right thing, blahblah...

Jan 16 15 08:43 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Eugenya Donald Images wrote:
I had to have my dog put down about 14 years ago, and it was very hard.  I did vacillate for a few months.  It was a difficult thing to admit that his quality of life was poor because of his health problems.

My mother knew a woman who cluelessly did a terrible thing with her old dog.  The dog was very sick with cancer, but this woman thought it would be cruel to have it put down.  She was very pleased with herself, and convinced she did a good thing, when the poor creature finally died one day in it's sleep more than a year after it's diagnosis.  It suffered for that long.  It was excruciating for my mother to have to listen to this woman's speech about how she did the right thing, blahblah...

No animal should deal with prolonged suffering, never!

Jan 16 15 09:15 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Carl Herbert wrote:
My cat became sick at the beginning of December and she died this past Christmas day. We went to see the vet a few times during the first part of the month, but when I realized it wasn't getting us anywhere and it was only terrorizing my cat -- she has always been super sensitive and anxious about going anywhere -- I decided we were done with that. I stayed home with her as much as I could and kept her company. It was a horrible month, but I wouldn't have had her put to sleep. An animal will never ask to be euthanized, but will only want you to be kept company and given comfort as she spends her life doing for her people. I know some  disagree with this reasoning, but we don't euthanize the people we love. Dying is part of living, the same for companion animals as well as for people. It's a process for you and for the cat.

Hummm

If my organs were failing, I'd take myself out.

Jan 16 15 09:20 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Carl Herbert wrote:

We don't euthanize people because we're not allowed to, but PLENTY want it. That's why we're taking steps to legalize it, because we're finally realizing that unnecessary suffering is...well....unnecessary and cruel

Jan 16 15 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I have had to put two dogs down.  I can't tell you what the right time is.  What I can tell you was that both were among the hardest decisions of my life.

Jan 16 15 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I put my last dog down about 5 years ago. I didn't take her to the vet, but I thought she had cancer. I knew she had arthritis or something else that made her legs hurt, especially in the winter. She could still walk, but it was obvious that it hurt to go up and down the steps (especially down) and she'd have to do that at least 10 times a day to go outside. 

Someone suggested some medication one could get from a pet store, so I got it. It worked for quite a while but even the effects of that wore off and she was back to being in pain all the time.  Her legs hurt her so badly that she couldn't even sit up straight anymore. She'd either have to lay on one side or lean so far to one side that she may as well have been laying down.

I decided that now was the time because she had been a great dog for the whole time I had her (my sister got her as a puppy ... when she left my house, she left the dog with me so I kept her as my own). I didn't always like getting up at 7:15 am like clockwork or having her following me around anytime I had food but it was great having someone (something?) greet me at the top of the steps when I got home. It was even better when that someone didn't care what kind of day I had as long as  I had time to pet, talk, scratch, feed and take her outside. In other words, I didn't want her to suffer any longer than was necessary.

I'm sure she'd have lasted at least another 6-8 months ... maybe even a year ..... but at what cost? I didn't want to feel responsible for her suffering just because I was being selfish and didn't want to lose her. I still miss her daily, but I think it was the right thing to do and at the right time. She was about 15 years old. From what I've heard, pit bulls don't usually last longer than 8 or 10 years without developing hip/arthritis problems. So ... I made a memorial DVD and still watch it sometimes.

Jan 17 15 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

I personally feel that as the owners of animals it is our responsibility to recognize when the quality of life begins to slip for an animal.  Many people keep their animals alive out of their personal feelings for the animal and not whats best for the animal. I have had to put down a few animals and it's never easy.  But when they are in pain, or can no longer function. Peeing and pooping with no control, not being able to eat whatever. It's time.  Many people say " would you do that to a person?"  no because I clearly recognize that a dog and cat is not a human and it;s our job to do whats right even when it feels wrong.
     As far as too early? Who's to say, but waiting too long is just wrong. My wife's aunt is a good example. She thinks her dog is healthy for being 18. It's blind, it's deaf, it had no teeth and can no longer control it's bodily functions.  It gets skinnier and skinnier every time we see it. That dog is long past it's time. IMO

Jan 17 15 03:50 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

When I feel that the quality of life just isn't there anymore...

I've had to do it a couple of times.

It's rough.

Nuff said.

Jan 17 15 06:02 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Its very painful and sad but please forgive yourself.

We outlive our pets, such a sad part of a beautiful expereince to share a connection and bond with a trusting pet.

I think I did it too late once and too soon another, (trying to compensate and not repeat the too late experience.)Both were painful and both leave regrets. I cannot know ...

What I do believe is that our pets love and trust us and with whatever imperfect decisions we make, the agree with trust.

Your intent was not to hurt you cat or make your cat suffer, your intent was to love your cat and your cat loved you back. That is what matters.

Our imperfectness...

Your mother may have seen the suffering at her glance but, she did not see the day to day lived bond and care that you and your cat shared. That is why you held on. Maybe your cat did suffer the extra time but, Ithink your cat was busy sharing the bond of your presence too and likely you would've known in your gut if it was tooo long.

Its hard, I am sorry. Ido not think anything we do is perfect and either direction we go (little too soon, or maybe a little too late,) is going to be easy.

You had a positive connection and a shared bond and I think that is what is important to remember. Your cat was happiest with you, you were her world and that likely brought compensation enough to make her days worthy.
Jen

Jan 17 15 06:24 am Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Daren King wrote:
I am sure most people here have had to deal with this situation. 

Is it better to put an animal to sleep too early or too late ?  I had a cat that I got as a kitten.  I loved it so much and it was such an awesome cat.  At around age 18 it had skin cancer that really started taking its toll.  I knew the cat was sick and suffering but I just couldn't bare to put it to sleep.  I kept hoping it would just pass away in its sleep. 
One day my mother comes to visit and she hadn't seen the cat in about a year and she says "omg, its so sick, you really need to put it to sleep"
Finally about 2 months later after it wouldn't eat and could barely walk I put it to sleep.
I realized in retrospect that, IMO, the animal suffered needlessly for longer than it should have.  How much longer ?  I don't know but probably a few months at least.
Based on this I decided that for any future pets, when they got old and had cancer or another ailment that I would try to put them to sleep earlier.  However, how do you determine when is a good time ?

I take a pretty hard approach. I keep pure breed dogs, and so make a fairly significant monetary investment when I acquire a new pet.
When I need to make the hard decision regarding putting a pet down, I look at what has to be done to fix whatever issue has cropped up, how much it will cost, and frankly, is it financially viable given the age of the dog.
My last two Rotties were put to sleep. MY boy was close to nine, when he developed an auto immune condition that, while repairable at great expense, wasn't something I was willing to put into an animal that had, at most, only a couple of years left anyway (Rotties rarely live past 11 or 12). A year and a half later, I had to make the same decision with my girl, who, six weeks shy of her 11th birthday, managed to do a spiral fracture on a front leg.
The prognosis was good, in that I could take her to the vet university in Saskatoon, have the leg put back together using pins, and then look at a year or more of physio before we would see a recovery.
Rotties don't live that long, so the decision was put her down.
OTOH, my 8 year old boy broke a fang last year while playing tug, and there was no question that the thousand dollars to have the root extracted was going to be done.
A couple of things to consider: An old animal that is in constant pain can become a bit unpredictable and can lash out, causing harm to it's owners. An old animal that is in constant pain most likely has a very low quality of life.
There are a whole lot of young animals out there that are looking for homes, consider that when you keep a pet animal alive far past when the animal is getting any enjoyment out of life, you are perhaps allowing a younger and more robust animal to suffer it's life away in a cage.
If the animal is suffering, and we cannot end its suffering and keep it alive at the same time, the right thing to do for the animal is to end it's life, no matter how guilty that makes us feel.

Jan 18 15 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

For those who love our animal friends, it's **always"" too early (for us)..

<=========

Sneakers had a dog door and a beautiful yard. She always (given her size amazed me) was under my desk with her head on my feet. Yeah, she would go outside to eat, drink, and do her business, but after that, it was always back under my desk with her head on my feet. To this day, I'm not sure how such a large animal could get into such small places. I miss her.

Jan 18 15 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I was lucky. My cat was sick for a few months with complications from kidney failure. She enjoyed some kind of a quality life during this time, she ate a little, and always spent an hour or so a day on my lap. Then one day, she stopped eating and became non-responsive, and it was clearly time for her to go. She died in the waiting room of the vet right before I could euthanize her.

Animals don't show pain the way we do. It's never an easy decision.

Jan 18 15 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I had exactly the same situation with a cat I owned several years ago.  I waited too long and vowed never to do that again.  Later, when my very old dog slowed down suspiciously much I took him to the vet who confirmed that he had only a few more days to live.  I put him down immediately, while he was still relatively pain free.  I'm content that it was the best thing to do.

At 78 myself, I can only hope that someone will perform the same kindness for me.

Jan 18 15 06:16 pm Link

Model

Alegra Chetti

New York, New York, US

I thought i was doing the right thing keeping my girl with me as long as I could..but after seeing what she went thru, i would never want that for anyone, least of all her who I love so much. I still feel guilt to this day too bc I think now, it was selfish of me and if I had put her down, then she wouldnt have suffered the way she did. but i didnt know all that was going to happen to her, I wish now I had been brave and strong and..but we can never know whats right..I believe now everything worked out just as it should, maybe she wanted to fight and stay with me, thats what I thought at the time. i guess we'll never know. we just have to remember the good times and be grateful for all the love we share with them that will never die.
I do believe she is my angel now and in heaven and still my little girl, my love forever

Jan 18 15 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

I'd want to be put to sleep sooner than later.  Being forced to live because someone won't let you go is torture in my mind.  I kept my mom alive longer than she wanted because I thought maybe she'd get better.  She didn't, and it was horrifying  how she declined in the hospital.

Pets can't really think in the same way we do.  They have a will to live, but it is instinct.  They don't fear death, but they can feel pain, and they know to avoid it.

Jan 18 15 06:34 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

If your pet is suffering from illness or injury that is not being treated with a good chance of cure, it is your duty to your pet to end the suffering as soon as possible.  Keeping a pet alive and suffering just because you cannot personally let go is being selfish and is seriously mistreating an animal that depends on you for everything.

Jan 19 15 09:05 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm an old fart, so, euthanasia is a difficult subject  .  .  .  I'm sure if it were left up to "certain" people, I'd have been put down a while a go  .  .  .  wink  I've had a lot of pets in my life, and therefore, have had to deal with losing a lot of friends along the way, never an easy time  .  .  .  I try to let the vet be my guide, if she says that my buddy is hurting needlessly, and that having them continue will do nothing but worsen their pain and suffering, then, no matter how personally devastating, it's time to let go  .  .  .  that being said, trying to do that is damned near impossible  .  .  .  I had one girl (my dawg Pepper), who was a very high energy soul, I came out to feed her one day, and she had lost her ability to walk  .  .  .  I took her to her doctor (a woman who I've come to trust very deeply), and she said there was nothing more she could do  .  .  .  I asked if it would be okay if I took her for a few hours, and we went down to her favorite swim lake, and I gently let her paddle around with her still working front paws  .  .  .  I could see how much she enjoyed it, but, I was bawling my eyes out (just as I am now remembering it) knowing what was going to happen in the near future  .  .  .  as we ended our swim, and Pep made it ashore (with my help), I just lay there with her as she basked in the sun  .  .  .  after awhile she looked up at me, and struggled to a sitting position, I could see that standing was no longer an option, and that our trip back to the vet's would be her last  .  .  .  I held her on my lap until it was time, and placed her on the table, I made sure we had eye contact, and our friend the vet did what needed to be done  .  .  .  Pep was at peace, I was devastated  .  .  .  I guess the best you can do, is enjoy each other as long as possible, and pay back their unconditional love with a timely end  .  .  .  geeeeeeezzzzzz, I gotta go now, my two current buddies are runnin' round the backyard, and I think they need some pettin', and cookies  .  .  . 

SOS

Jan 19 15 09:31 am Link