Forums > Photography Talk > Question on types of models

Photographer

JosephZahnlePhotography

Caldwell, Idaho, US

I have pictures I took for a trade magazine. It shows Ironworkers doing the work they do. You would have to have insight on an Ironworker to even take these and most people have never seen what an Ironworker actually does. With that being said my question is, would pictures of men doing their work showing them and what they are working on make good portfolio pictures?

My next picture deals with Santa Clause and his Elf  ( Me ) . Would pictures like those make good portfolio pictures?

Thank you for your opinions and ideas.

Jan 17 15 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

JTZPhotography wrote:
With that being said my question is, would pictures of men doing their work showing them and what they are working on make good portfolio pictures?

My next picture deals with Santa Clause and his Elf  ( Me ) . Would pictures like those make good portfolio pictures?

Those would be bad for a landscape gardening portfolio. They would also be bad for a architectural design portfolio. They may even be bad for a food photography portfolio.

But they might be fine for a industrial photography portfolio or a christmas portfolio.

Jan 17 15 11:10 am Link

Photographer

JosephZahnlePhotography

Caldwell, Idaho, US

Thank you Leonard

I was curious and glad I asked first.

Thank you again

Jan 17 15 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

JTZPhotography wrote:
...Ironworkers doing the work they do...

JTZ this is what is known as Environmental Portraiture which strives to capture the essence of the subject.  A noteworthy portrait explains who the subject of the image is though conveying meaning and emotion via a photojournalism style...

The image you have on your commercial web site is known as a "tear-sheet" and more importantly a "cover shot" 

Yes it belongs in your book since it is indeed an accolade...   only a precious few of Mayhem photographers have "covers" to their credit so you may get some "sour grapes" comments on this...   pay them no mind... they are either envious or don't have a clue...

Kudos on your cover... rather amazing since you are located so far away from any major market...

All the best on your journey...

Jan 17 15 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

JosephZahnlePhotography

Caldwell, Idaho, US

Thank you very much Thomas

Have a great year 2015

Jan 17 15 02:37 pm Link