Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Taxes: Electronic filing bites!

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Did TurboTax for past two years.  First one the refund bank charged me a $60 "refund processing fee" aside from the $60 Turbo Tax Deluxe program.  So $110 blown to get back a whole $9.  Wow!

Second round with TurboTax I elected to go the mail-in route to avoid whatever refund bank they tied up with: "We don't charge for refunds, but our bank associate near you might." - and so they did.  This time the mail-in direct deposit worked okay, but still out $60 for the software.

This year CA and IRS do online for free so I decided to go that route.

Very messy.

For the Federal return, seems the IRS has outsourced to some 16 different outfits and they all have stipulations:  Too old to use us (No kidding!  It's there!).  Too young.  What state?  What's your AGI?  Etc.  Have to set up all sorts of security passwords, security pictures, name of whomever, Dad's middle name.  First place you worked for.  Etc.  Total PITA to find out "You cannot use out service due to..."  "Pay us to continue."  Honestly?  Data mining anyone?

Now for the state of California and their e-file or whatever it is called.  Least they do their own, but much the same questions above, plus they ask for 'old data' off your old returns to verify "You is You."  Well crap!
Have to find old TurboTax forms on an old obsolete Windows XP laptop.  Seems it has gotten set aside due to no more Microsoft XP support so its battery is dead.  Charging...  Now the BIO's is screwed due to date and time dump from lack of power.  Fixed that.  Get into it and find the old TurboTax forms buried in it and get it for the state to set up its account.  What a total pita!  Wish I had 2013 paper forms somewhere...

I did find on the IRS site the old 1040 form.  So back to printing it out and saving paper.  I know they've been saying they are laying off people so paper returns might take longer, but I don't care.  Least I won't be wasting time buying software, getting shafted by the refund bank, going to out-sourced and who knows what security tax sites.  Computers just suck when the OS becomes outdated (Thank you MS for abandoning a working XP OS for this mess of 8.0>8.1 and the mess it's caused. Mine hasn't updated since August when they sent out the bad update and pulled it!) or you switch machines for taxes from a year ago.

I heard some accountants mad about having to buy new computers for their new software, but if even TurboTax will not run on older XP machines with older taxes stored there, then what?  Load onto a Windows 8.1 and start all over?  I don't know if TurboTax stores remotely (Their Cloud?) or if buries it locally in XP.

After messing with some of the free sites, I found I could do the downloaded IRS 1040 in minutes vs. fighting online security (??) and sundry setup emails and verifications.  What an ordeal!

So it's back to paper this year and snail mail.

/rant

Jan 19 15 09:43 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

For the past 10 years or so, I have used Turbo Tax.  A number of my extended family members will visit me during tax season each year and "borrow" my laptop to do their taxes on Turbo Tax.  Each chips in for a portion of the cost, so it works out pretty well.

I have always printed and mailed my return because I usually also have to send in a check.  Being self employed, I make quarterly estimated payments, but always cut it as close as I can so I'm not giving the government an interest free loan.

There are a number of people I know who are always so happy about their tax refund, to the point of bragging about how large it is.  When I ask, why don't you adjust your withholding so your paycheck is a little bigger each month instead of giving the government an interest free loan?...they look at me like I just spoke some foreign language or something.

Several of my family members e-file via Turbo Tax and I have never heard any of them mention being charged a "bank fee" for having their refund direct deposited or a check mailed.  Are you sure that wasn't some sort of fee for a quick refund anticipation loan where they loan you the amount of your refund and then collect it from the IRS later?

Jan 19 15 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I've use Turbo tax for the last ten years. Super easy to use, $60 seems a fair price for Federal and State forms,  and It's free to file electronically the Fed return. I think state costs $19.00.
Really fast refunds to my bank with no fees charged by the bank.
I'm very happy with the program and their service, they even gave me a free copy of Quicken this year.

Jan 19 15 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ernst tischler wrote:
There are a number of people I know who are always so happy about their tax refund, to the point of bragging about how large it is.  When I ask, why don't you adjust your withholding so your paycheck is a little bigger each month instead of giving the government an interest free loan?...they look at me like I just spoke some foreign language or something.

Our daughter is the opposite. She always calls in a panic days before the deadline saying "OMG... I have to send the IRS money.... can you help me out?"  One of the 1,001 ways a grown kid can squeeze a few more bucks out of mom and dad.

Jan 19 15 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

ernst tischler wrote:
Are you sure that wasn't some sort of fee for a quick refund anticipation loan where they loan you the amount of your refund and then collect it from the IRS later?

Sure what it sounds like to me (and I've TT since i can't even remember when, but it's been many years).

Jan 19 15 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Our daughter is the opposite. She always calls in a panic days before the deadline saying "OMG... I have to send the IRS money.... can you help me out?"  One of the 1,001 ways a grown kid can squeeze a few more bucks out of mom and dad.

Chuckles. My kids tried that a few times. I just told them that as much as I would like to help, I couldn't because I had to give all of my spare money to the IRS. tongue

Jan 19 15 11:04 am Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:

Lohkee wrote:
Chuckles. My kids tried that a few times. I just told them that as much as I would like to help, I couldn't because I had to give all of my spare money to the IRS. tongue

I put an end to my daughter and son-in-law asking me for money when I told them I was willing to help them, but they would have to bring all their financial info to me and let me set them up a budget.

...all of a sudden, they didn't need my money at all.  LOL

Jan 19 15 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

ernst tischler wrote:

Yup.

Why be proud that you gave the idiots-in-power an interest-free loan? We adjust annually so as to owe them a pittance at the end of it all.

Jan 19 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

TurboTax has been very easy and cheap for me every year, especially when "splitting the costs" as other posters have suggested. Even without that though, it's an invaluable program for me... takes the pain out of it.

Jan 19 15 05:48 pm Link