Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > for those who like loud music

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

this is in aid of another thread. if you like going to concerts/clubs, or anywhere where loud music is played, do yourself a favor and get a set of these. you may think you're young, and your hearing is invincible (or worse, not even care), but trust me, someday you will be glad you protected yourself from the harm that can be done from prolonged exposure to loud music.

these earplugs are not only totally effective, but they are almost invisible (for the vain), and not only lesson the impact of high sound pressure levels, but also retain much of the audio integrity.

i don't work for these guys, but discovered them a few years ago, after having spent many years using the standard foam earplugs (or anything at all...cigarette filters, toilet paper), i can tell you that these work very well, and retain the full audio spectrum of what you are attenuating.

Jan 22 15 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

WHAT?!?!?!?

Jan 22 15 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Gianantonio wrote:
WHAT?!?!?!?

https://1d22fa0be3e56085105a-04bbb503a45bdf2a3731f93130d24a85.r97.cf2.rackcdn.com/Man-with-ear-trumpet-.jpg

Jan 22 15 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I can't stand earplugs it feels and sounds weird with them in.

That said as a gigging musician for the past 30+ years I have a couple friends who have been with me for much of the ride who are deaf in one ear. One of them nearly died from a phonic induce injury-no really. Fortunately he survived the operation that included a portion of his brain. He helped me with a recording last week. He had to relearn how to walk due to his equilibrium being destroyed in the life saving operation.

Back in the day we did at times the whole stacks and big subs games. It's a rush to feel a sonic wave off your pant leg during a show. The vibrations make you numb all over before the night is done and can take hours to come down from. Most clubs will not let you get away with this though so all that gear power is a waste.
These days we carry lunch box amps. Dang if they don't sound better anyway.

Jan 22 15 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Right Poes wrote:

That said as a gigging musician for the past 30+ years I have a couple friends who have been with me for much of the ride who are deaf in one ear. One of them nearly died from a phonic induce injury-no really. Fortunately he survived the operation that included a portion of his brain. He helped me with a recording last week. He had to relearn how to walk due to his equilibrium being destroyed in the life saving operation.

Back in the day we did at times the whole stacks and big subs games. It's a rush to feel a sonic wave off your pant leg during a show. The vibrations make you numb all over before the night is done and can take hours to come down from. Most clubs will not let you get away with this though so all that gear power is a waste.
These days we carry lunch box amps. Dang if they don't sound better anyway.

the irony is that in the 'olden days' the musicians went deaf way before the crowd did, but today, a guitarist can be playing through a 5 watt amp (which can get pretty loud), but that amp, further amplified though the house system), can deafen anyone near the pa system.

and i have heard literally hundreds of guys saying the same thing as you, for years. i just made a conscious decision to not lose my hearing. playing with earplugs does get some getting used to, but once you do, it's actually better--in all ways. it isn't the mid range guitars that are killing your hearing (although they do contribute). it's the drummers bashing on their cymbals that do stage musicians in.

but out in the crowd, it's the long, brutal dbs being pumped into their heads.

how many times as a youth, did you go home with your ears ringing after concerts? after two or three times for me (early on), that was enough. i'm not smart, but i knew then that if i kept that shit up, i would be deaf by 50.

well, i'm 50, and i can hear as well as can be expected for someone of that age, and when tested, can hear better than most people half my age. we all lose some high frequency response as we age, but beyond 18k, it's all hiss anyway. smile
my kids are in their 20's now. i try to tell them that the bands they listen to all wear some form of hearing protection. one believes me, and is kind of following in my footsteps. the other is the rebel, and will be deaf at 55.

besides, kids these days are going to go deaf from all the music they listen to through micro headphones/ear buds. they have no clue how many dbs they are pumping into their heads, for extended periods of time.

Jan 22 15 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Right Poes wrote:

For years, while living in an apartment with neighbors from hell, I used "Super Hearos," very soft foam plugs that block 34dB of noise while being so comfortable I've often forgotten that I had them in my ears.

Earlier forms of foam earplugs used to irritate my ear canals to the point that they'd induce ear infections.

I wish I'd had Super Hearos back in my younger years. My hearing is pretty shot.

Jan 23 15 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I had an eardrum rupture a few years ago from an ear infection and have had noticeable hearing loss as a result. Ever since then, I decided to start wearing ear plugs at any nightclub shoot I go to. I've also noticed that now most of the staff in clubs wear them as well.

Jan 23 15 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Musicians not using ear protection seems to me like photographers who like to stare into the sun.

Jan 23 15 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

I lost 45% of my hearing in my right ear at a concert about 18 years ago. I cannot hold a phone to that ear any longer because the damage that was done literally causes me discomfort. When those kids with the loud stereos that have the BASS going so loud it causes me pain in that same ear. It really sucks and I try to educate young people when they crank their music so loud. I don't lecture them I just tell them losing your hearing sucks.
    When soft spoken people speak to me I have to lean in with my left ear. I'm only 47 and I feel kind of stupid lol

Jan 23 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Musicians not using ear protection seems to me like photographers who like to stare into the sun.

Interesting analogy, I have all to often taken a strobe in the face during set up including a Fresnel. Sucks and is never intentional, I bet I'm far from alone.

Jan 23 15 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Duarte

Manchester, New Hampshire, US

I keep a package of ear plugs in my camera bag at all times.  I put them in at the sound check and leave them in for the night.  I can't count how many times a staff member asked me if I had any extras during a show.  I now carry a small box.

Jan 25 15 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

I have a tiny little SANDisk bag on every camera which is intended to hold one two SD cards, but I keep soft earplugs in them.  6 plugs fit easily, so I usually have extra to lend out.

Jan 25 15 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I went to see a heavy metal band play once. I was supposed to be taking pictures. About halfway into the show, I realized that everyone in the band was wearing ear protection. I wasn't. When I got home, things had never been more quiet. It took 3-4 days to get back to normal. I'm not doing that again, at least not without protection.

Jan 25 15 07:54 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I have a question for someone in a band, somewhat related to noise.

We attended a concert at "The Mountain Winery" near San Jose, CA some years back.  The band was The Corrs out of Ireland and we were only two rows from center stage, about 8 feet from them.  Very close.  Sound system was perfect.  Place was packed and Sophie B. Hawkins was their opening act.

However, the town had/has some sound ordinance where the sound system was killed at exactly 10:30 PM.  They were halfway through their last song and the system went total silence.  We couldn't hear one drum beat, violin, piano, guitar, voice, nothing.  Not even their voices as it seemed they were unaware the system was shut down while the entire crowd was like "What happened?"  Made for a bit of an awkward exit for them too, couldn't even hear them say "Thank yous," etc.  We were told while leaving what had happened.

I was wondering if the entire set is 100% canned and the instruments are somehow not even capable of making a sound (rubber strings, etc.) if that is even possible.  It just seemed to odd it went 100% sound to 100% dead zero sound and not even a peep out of their throats.

Are performances now 100% canned and not even the instruments make any noise?

Jan 25 15 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

GRMACK wrote:
I was wondering if the entire set is 100% canned and the instruments are somehow not even capable of making a sound (rubber strings, etc.) if that is even possible.  It just seemed to odd it went 100% sound to 100% dead zero sound and not even a peep out of their throats.

Are performances now 100% canned and not even the instruments make any noise?

well, obviously, if the power was cut, anything amplified would be totally incapable of making any sound. if you are saying that you were close enough to acoustic instruments (and voices) and you heard none, then you were probably watching a fake show.

you can never be sure anymore, unless it's a real act, that prides itself on its playing, warts and all.

just tonight, i was flipping through the tv. the nfl pro bowl was on, but i happened to flip to it during halftime. there was a band playing, and i could tell they were faking it. it's so fucking annoying. at one point, the guitarist went to grab his pick from his teeth (why he would go to that length in the scam is beyond me), but in the couple of seconds it took for him to do that, you heard the sound of a strumming chord from his guitar.

it's so cheesy. but, after many complaints, i don't think they advertise these "obnoxiously commercial" sets as 'live' any more. i believe they have switched the verbiage to say something like "performance", but never use the word live.

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I went to see a heavy metal band play once. I was supposed to be taking pictures. About halfway into the show, I realized that everyone in the band was wearing ear protection. I wasn't. When I got home, things had never been more quiet. It took 3-4 days to get back to normal. I'm not doing that again, at least not without protection.

that's a problem in the metal world. most of the bands wear hearing protection, but it's common--in the crowd--to have patrons vilified as being 'pussies' if they wear any ear protection. the bands themselves should tell their idiotic fans that they are wearing hearing protection, but it would fly in the face of the whole "if it's too loud, you're too old" bullshit.

buncha hypocrites, who are potentially exposing their 'fans' to major hearing loss.

Jan 25 15 09:27 pm Link