Forums > Critique > Changing over to High Fashion - Haute Couture...

Photographer

KBStudio

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

So critique my 2 new images please....
Eye Candy - Urban Glamour - Glamour > High Fashion - Haute Couture - Commercial

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150124/04/54c396eca7a8d_m.jpg   ^^ Most Recent

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/141117/09/546a307d45f36_m.jpg

Jan 27 15 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

If you're going away from urban glamour and more toward fashion editorial, your choice of models have to coincide with that choice. Currently they don't. Take a look on some of the fashion agency online boards or in some of the editorial fashion magazines to gauge the girl that fits more in that vein.

Jan 27 15 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

KBStudio

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
If you're going away from urban glamour and more toward fashion editorial, your choice of models have to coincide with that choice. Currently they don't. Take a look on some of the fashion agency online boards or in some of the editorial fashion magazines to gauge the girl that fits more in that vein.

Thank you

Jan 27 15 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:

+1. and it doesn't end at the models. Often times you have to find a stylist or designer who can get compelling designs. Then finding hair and makeup teams. Then looking for interesting locations.  You will often times feel more like an event organizer than a photographer.  Then comes post production which is another story.

Jan 27 15 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140618/20/53a25465e730a_m.jpg
Of your photos this for me is the closest looking fashion photo [It does need a bit of polish yet]

This to me comes off as a photo of a friend in front of a wall

The clothing selection, location selection and model selection all come into play

Side note, in some of your photos you seem to be placing the subject in the center of the image, if you are not familiar with rule of thirds and other compositional elements might be worth checking out

Wish you well

Jan 28 15 05:51 am Link

Photographer

KBStudio

Lee_Photography wrote:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140618/20/53a25465e730a_m.jpg
Of your photos this for me is the closest looking fashion photo [It does need a bit of polish yet]

This to me comes off as a photo of a friend in front of a wall

The clothing selection, location selection and model selection all come into play

Side note, in some of your photos you seem to be placing the subject in the center of the image, if you are not familiar with rule of thirds and other compositional elements might be worth checking out

Wish you well

I am familiar with the rule of thirds but from what I used to shoot {Eye Candy} the model was usually centered due to publishing restraints. But I see what you're saying. Thank you.

Jan 28 15 07:08 am Link

Model

AnnAdB

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

What I see in your port is not at all high fashion/haute couture to be fairly honest.
Haute couture is meant as one of a piece made to measure design. High fashion is (IMO) really really fashion. And I don't see that in your photos. Your photos first of all are lingerie and then you have those new photos next to it which basically looks more urban also by putting them next to the lingerie ones.

Another thing is that the picture in front of the white wall looks grainy and not sharp. Something I don't expect at haute couture photos. Then I expect so extremely sharp that you can see every detail of it.

The first one with the dress is still not high fashion in my opinion; more likely just a girl in a dress. The model doesn't fit the part. Has no real fashion-faces/sizes (although you can deliberately choose for other sizes) and the pose is quite awkward in combination with the angle.

It is not just over the top. High fashion/haute couture is almost like a story in a picture. That story needs to be told in that one picture so work on a really good concept. If you have the story; how would the girl look? It is often the cause that; with high fashion/haute couture it is a more pronounced face; really visible cheeckbones, great jaw etc. But figure out what works for you. Then; how would her hair look? Her make-up be? Besides that it needs to have that haute couture drama in it and it now seems quite flat. The dress doesn't come out that well and it is all quite static. More lookbookfeely than haute couture feely. If you want haute couture make sure that every little detail in the picture enhances the story and the picture.

Kinda brutal these words but hopefully it can help you move forward.

Jan 29 15 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

before you use the terms to define an image, it is important you understand what the terms mean.
Nothing in your book even hints at anything fashion, much less Haute Couture.

The general aesthetic is important and that starts with the clothes but includes model choice, make up, hair, styling and setting.  To be good at it you need to love it and have a keen understanding of why designers do what they do with each collection.

Jan 29 15 01:37 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Hey, have you looked up photos that are high fashion/haute couture?

Perhaps you could start there. A look at a Vogue editorial might also give you a good idea. Or perhaps look up some famous fashion models, Anja Rubik xould be a good example. Or look at the board of a reputed model agency like IMG or Elite. ...

Jan 29 15 02:07 pm Link