Forums > Photography Talk > Canon 5Ds leaked . 50.6 MP

Photographer

moving pictures

Paris, Île-de-France, France

http://petapixel.com/2015/01/30/canon-5 … rame-dslr/

Now the question is, how may people will pay $25,000 more for practically the same thing from Phase One or Hasselblad?

Jan 30 15 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

I'd need a new computer just process the files.

Jan 30 15 11:11 am Link

Photographer

NYC fine art nudes

New York, New York, US

Moving Pictures " Now the question is, how may people will pay $25,000 more for practically the same thing from Phase One or Hasselblad "
If Canon (and Nikon) ever up their glass -Hasselblad and Phase One will become $13,000.- camera bodies. If they don't price accordingly, then they will have to close shop.

Jan 30 15 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Hussain Hijazi

Houston, Texas, US

I honestly don't know how this would affect MF sales. The D810/D800e is close to being MF yet many professionals still use Hassys. It's a completely different format and it's not only about megapixels.

On the other hand, I bet many use MF for things other than purely objective differences such as brand name, prestige, etc...

I am very happy with my $1200 D800 big_smile

Jan 30 15 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

moving pictures wrote:

Now the question is, how may people will pay $25,000 more for practically the same thing from Phase One or Hasselblad?

Same set of people who will shell out for Full Frame rather than APS-C even though it's practically the same thing..... same same for the guys who will pay for APS-C when 1" sensors are practically the same.

Come to think of if they're all practically the same then why use MF when you could be using a super zoom?

Jan 30 15 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

NYC fine art nudes wrote:
If Canon (and Nikon) ever up their glass

And this new glass are put at a reasonable price then certain medium format camera manufacter as Hasselblad and Phase One (and partially Leica) could have issue.

Jan 30 15 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I think the medium format market will be hit by high resolution 35mm cameras, but by how much is hard to say. They are different animals. If all you want is more MP, or you don't have the money, the high resolution 35mm might suit you. However, for the ultimate in quality and also the lenses and also the DOF etc... MF will still rule. At a price.

Jan 31 15 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Barry Kidd Photography wrote:
I'd need a new computer just process the files.

You'll probably need a new computer just to cope with the press release, if they include images...

Jan 31 15 02:44 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
the DOF etc... MF will still rule. At a price.

For the Dof exist lenses brighter for full-frame lens respect what present on digital MF and if we consider only the smaller MF digital sensor, as for example the new Sony 50 megapixel Cmos, the issue could be easy fixed putting a brighter lens on a 35mm.

Jan 31 15 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just got a D810... Looks like I'm going to have to get one of these at some point along with a new computer system. More MP does matter when you are printing very large.

Jan 31 15 05:18 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

SWEET smile
I cannot wait until they release more stuff!

That means I get to buy older gear much cheaper. smile

Jan 31 15 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

edit: dont get drawn into religious wars.

Jan 31 15 05:33 am Link

Photographer

OSMIUM IMAGES

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia

I have 41MP, RAW shooting, cell-phone. Once the SLR Pixel War reached double digits the race didn't really matter any more...

Bring on the auto-focus war!

Jan 31 15 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

High MP FF cameras vs MF Digitals render the same differences noticeable in printed images as APS-C 35mm vs "Full Frame 35mm. Or, crop-sensor Small Format vs 35mm equivalent Small Format. Because of the smaller sensor size therefore smaller photosites, the images made by the camera with the smaller sensor with have a more "plastic-ey" look to them. Slightly more contrast, appearing to have rougher transitions of colours & lighting, etc. If your style is contrasty or if all you shoot is jpegs, a higher MP FF camera is a sweet deal indeed! But it's not a MF camera on a budget. It's just a 35mm digital with a heap of megashnitzels jammed into a Small Format CMOS sensor.

One of my cameras is a Nikon D800E, btw.

IMHO alone;

Danny
FACEBOOK
DBIphotography Toronto

“The vilest deeds – like poison weeds – bloom well in prison air; it is only what is good in man that wastes & withers there.”
~Oscar Wilde

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be. Anyone who questions the weight of my opinion(s) is free to validate my words based upon their review of my work (website) – which may/may not be supportive.

Feb 01 15 04:32 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Is Canon using the Sony sensor?  If not, no thanks.  Not interested in a 10+ years old technology that has banding/shadow noise issue with DR that are still behind competitor.

Feb 01 15 05:53 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

moving pictures wrote:

I would suspect the people who know there is more to a system than MP.  Still there is no price as of yet, nor any real world tests so its all just speculation.

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
Is Canon using the Sony sensor?  If not, no thanks.  Not interested in a 10+ years old technology that has banding/shadow noise issue with DR that are still behind competitor.

I don't think any 50MP sensor is 10 year old technology - but I understand the wait and see approach to simple rumors.

Feb 01 15 06:10 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

DBIphotography Toronto wrote:
if all you shoot is jpegs, a higher MP FF camera is a sweet deal indeed!

While is true that an high megapixel camera give a certain more flexibility, even on jpg, during the resize of the image for reduce certain lens issue or for crop remain the problem that the jpeg format support only 8 bit differently for what happen for other formats as for example png, tiff, so regardless how bigger is a jpg is sufficient small adjustment during the postwork for obtain hole on the histogram.
So until the producers decide to replace the jpg with, for example, the png, only more megapixel don't necessary are sufficient for who that don't want use the raw format.

Feb 01 15 06:34 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Pentax 645z!!! Nuff said??:-)))

Feb 01 15 06:55 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

OSMiUM IMAGES wrote:
I have 41MP, RAW shooting, cell-phone. Once the SLR Pixel War reached double digits the race didn't really matter any more...

Bring on the auto-focus war!

This will probably be what keeps the DSLR makers of 50 MP cameras from going to $25K price tags over a $700 50 MP cell phone they carry in their pocket.  A cellphone for instant online images is all Joe Consumer needs if print media continues to decline.  Why lug around 15 pounds of DSLR gear that costs 30 times as much for what they need for web images, along with all the cheap (free) editing apps coming out for their $700 cellphone.

Cellphone tech is unfolding a new model about every 8 months.  The DSLR guys take years, especially Canon.  At some point it won't be a pretty world for the DSLR at the rate of cell technology speed.

Feb 01 15 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

GER Photography wrote:
Pentax 645z!!! Nuff said??:-)))

+1

But with a bigger viewfinder tongue  That's a deal-breaker for me sad  It focuses reasonably fast I find, in spite of what people are saying online. The colours are neutral compared to most FF DSLR cameras that are higher MP, but in an incredibly good way. The viewfinder is so small though, my eyelashes bend back into my eye and when they aren't poking me into my eyeball they bend over my eye and make me feel as though I'm looking through a jailed wall of black bars hmm  I've inquired about a larger viewfinder I could purchase as a replacement, but the dealer shuffled-feet and began talking about focus & colour rendition again.

Feb 01 15 04:10 pm Link