Forums > Model Colloquy > Theme Suggestion for a Two Female Models?

Photographer

Ario Triwibowo

Jakarta, Jakarta, Indonesia

So, in the future I am planning to do a photo project with two female models. The theme overall will be kinda simple, a bit of a sexy, casual, glamourish, fashion-ish stuffs, nothing erotic or lesbian action or anything like that. I just want to know what kind of sub-themes or other themes that will be cool to do with two models simultaneously.

Should it be like an opposite character theme, like model A uses black wardrobes and model B uses white, or better a uniform theme like both models uses black.

I just wanna hear what your advices, so any ideas would be useful for me and I would gladly consider.

I am doing this shoot in a thematic studio, with unique and colorful backgrounds and also a rooftop. I actually have something in mind, where there is this bookshelf / library-like background in the studio, so I wanna do something like nerd-ish / bookworm-ish theme there. So, that's one idea. Any additional ideas would be super.

Thanks for dropping by and giving me suggestions.

Best,
Ario

Jan 31 15 05:01 am Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I think you should try to be more specific... hard to be casual, sexy, glamourous, and fashion-y at the same time. What message do you want to convey? What emotion? What do you want to make the viewer feel?

Jan 31 15 05:55 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I think if one of this model fit an androgynous look,you could obtain want you wanted.
While avoiding to exasperate, as often happen, an "almost perfect" male look, while maintain an editorial style, playing with the pose, clothes and lights.
This is just an idea, but there are many solutions.

Ario Triwibowo wrote:
I am doing this shoot in a thematic studio, with unique and colorful backgrounds and also a rooftop. I actually have something in mind, where there is this bookshelf / library-like background in the studio, so I wanna do something like nerd-ish / bookworm-ish theme there. So, that's one idea.

Should be a rather simple to implement considering the adolescent aspect of Asian girls. For example dress them as teenager with casual dress or using some uniform.

Jan 31 15 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Ario Triwibowo

Sabrina Maree wrote:
I think you should try to be more specific... hard to be casual, sexy, glamourous, and fashion-y at the same time. What message do you want to convey? What emotion? What do you want to make the viewer feel?

I think was too general, and perhaps to take out the glamour aspect. Well I was considering to want somethin casual yet colorful, but can be editorial as well..

Speaking of emotion, I think it would more young and fun, so to speak.

Jan 31 15 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Ario Triwibowo

alessandro2009 wrote:
I think if one of this model fit an androgynous look,you could obtain want you wanted.
While avoiding to exasperate, as often happen, an "almost perfect" male look, while maintain an editorial style, playing with the pose, clothes and lights.
This is just an idea, but there are many solutions.

Should be a rather simple to implement considering the adolescent aspect of Asian girls. For example dress them as teenager with casual dress or using some uniform.

thanks for the input alessandro.
I would have to take out the androgynous idea, because I think both of them look better in their feminine looks, but the uniform thing seems a nice idea. thanks!

Jan 31 15 06:23 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shouldn't the idea come first?

Jan 31 15 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I don't think you are very focused, on what you seek to accomplish, and the result of that, will likely be very disappointing images.

Never book a shoot, until you know exactly, what you want to do, what it will produce, and how you intend to go about the process.

Jan 31 15 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Ario Triwibowo

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:
Shouldn't the idea come first?

that's what I am trying to overcome. the idea. that's why I ask for inputs.

Jan 31 15 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Ario Triwibowo

Lallure Photographic wrote:
I don't think you are very focused, on what you seek to accomplish, and the result of that, will likely be very disappointing images.

Never book a shoot, until you know exactly, what you want to do, what it will produce, and how you intend to go about the process.

Yes, that's why I am here. I need inputs so I can focus more. In the meantime, my idea is too broad, so yed, as you said I am not very focused. Just yet.

and, I didn't book a shoot just yet.

Jan 31 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Ario Triwibowo wrote:
Should it be like an opposite character theme, like model A uses black wardrobes and model B uses white, or better a uniform theme like both models uses black.

That will give you exposure problems

How about two models playing tug-o-war on a rooftop?

One model browses the bookshelf while the other reads a book?

Maybe a student/teacher interaction?

nerd-ish:  Something with black horn-rimmed glasses?

Jan 31 15 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Sounds to me like a situation where the models themselves should have a good deal of input.  The will quickly form some sort of relationship and this may lead to some ideas.  We photographers tend to think that we are the brains of the outfit but I've found that it just ain't so sometimes.  Rather than fight it, I've learned to take advantage of it.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jan 31 15 10:31 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/33435748

I did this shoot with another model that I never met before the shoot. We had no ideas and the only thing planned was the location. The other model brought the vintage slips we are wearing. I like the contrast of our hair. I can send you links to other pictures of us together if you like.

Jan 31 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Your all over the place with idea's for a two girl photo session. Just my thoughts. Have the darkest women in white and the lightest skin women in black. Or visa versa. Try and find a place were there will be a water fall's in the back ground.

Jan 31 15 12:27 pm Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Ario Triwibowo wrote:

Yes, that's why I am here. I need inputs so I can focus more. In the meantime, my idea is too broad, so yed, as you said I am not very focused. Just yet.

and, I didn't book a shoot just yet.

Forget the models. Forget everything you have named. Just start with the idea, the emotion, the feeling you want the viewer to feel. That might not involve two models. You might be able to do it with one.

After you have that, we can better help you build upon that.

Jan 31 15 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Ario Triwibowo

Mark Salo wrote:

That will give you exposure problems

How about two models playing tug-o-war on a rooftop?

One model browses the bookshelf while the other reads a book?

Maybe a student/teacher interaction?

nerd-ish:  Something with black horn-rimmed glasses?

thanks! I will consider them smile

Feb 02 15 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Ario Triwibowo

Rays Fine Art wrote:
Sounds to me like a situation where the models themselves should have a good deal of input.  The will quickly form some sort of relationship and this may lead to some ideas.  We photographers tend to think that we are the brains of the outfit but I've found that it just ain't so sometimes.  Rather than fight it, I've learned to take advantage of it.

All IMHO as always, of course.

yea I agree. sometimes an overplanned shot just doesnt come out as one might expect sad

Feb 02 15 03:48 am Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

mirrors = the two opposites are reflections of one another (inward & outward appearances)

Feb 02 15 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

A boxing match? Working on a motorcycle? In the cockpit of an airplane? Lounging together on a sofa in front of a large window? In an outdoor shower together? Changing a tire on a car?

I need to keep these ideas for myself...

Feb 02 15 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
mirrors = the two opposites are reflections of one another (inward & outward appearances)

I have seen an image where a nude model was looking into a mirror and saw herself in a wedding dress.  In another image, a pregnant model saw herself holding a baby.  In both cases, it was the same model - two images composited.  Be careful with lighting angles.

Feb 02 15 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
A boxing match?

A pillow fight?

Feb 02 15 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Mark Salo wrote:

A pillow fight?

Yeah, that too...

Feb 02 15 09:56 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

So you have no idea whatsoever what you want to shoot or even a style, you just want to include 2 female models?

Your theme could be literally anything that requires two humans. Or even one human and another human dressed as a non-human. Or two humans dressed as non-humans.

I vote for the latter. Dress one model up as a lamp and the other as a chair - voilà, a still life.

Feb 02 15 10:34 am Link

Model

Torttunaattori

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

Go Grey-Gardens. Two overly stylish sisters/friends/strangers in an old mansion, slowly going insane.

Feb 03 15 03:22 am Link