Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Another excuse for a thread with boobs.  Nice going. tongue

Feb 13 15 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Sablesword

Gurnee, Illinois, US

photoimager wrote:
Whilst the OP might have expressed things a little clumsily I do not understand how so many people do not get what he is meaning. I find it very noticeable that experienced photography trainers are increasingly having to tell attendees 'use a longer focal length and stand further back'. Distorting the face is not 'nice' for the client.

Selfies are a classic example of this misrepresentation of people's faces. Some months ago there was a report on the increase in demand for,facial reconstruction and it was based on how people looked in their selfies. Wideangle Lens up close

The argument is over the difference between "Use a longer focal length and stand further back" vs "Stand further back and use a longer focal length."

The first implies that the longer focal length fixes the distortion problem and that standing further back is a merely secondary adjustment used to get the subject properly framed.

The second implies that standing further back fixes the distortion problem and that using a longer focal length is a merely secondary adjustment used to get the subject properly framed.

I happen to hold with the second position: Stand further back (to fix the distortion problem) and use a longer focal length (to properly frame the subject at the further-back distance).

Feb 13 15 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Just reverse what Frank Capa said  "If your pictures are distorted, your standing too close". 

For those who don't know, Capa originally said:

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."
Robert Capa

smile

Feb 14 15 07:42 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

You digital people will have to do your own math conversions here because of sensor size differences.

In 35 MM I agree the 50 MM is not the best choice for distortion free portrait faces. I've always preferred and used my
105 MM. Sometimes if I only have my 28-85 MM using it at 85 MM works very nice.

On my Hasselblad the 80 MM works fine if there are two or more people in the frame but that lens will bend features if you try to close in on one single person, and you can't get close enough with it. That is why I have the Zeiss Sonar 150. The 150 does the trick nicely for the medium format.

BUT, BUT, BUT, lots of beautiful creative portraits are made with the use of wider lenses. Someone here posted a great shot done with a 28 MM Leica. National Geographic photographers almost always seem to use wide view lenses, shooting great scenes of people in their surroundings; creating beautiful sweeping dramatic scenes.

And Martin Schoeller's close up mug-shot portraits with their crazy light and distortions made him famous. Incidentally Schoeller does those portraits with large format film cameras and big gridded Kino Flow lights. Interesting effect, it's purely chemical photography with no computer editing effects.

Never count anything out. You never know what trying different stuff can bring till you try it.

Feb 16 15 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

No no, like the Italian guy in the joke, " you takin too big-a bites-a " TH

Feb 16 15 07:45 pm Link