Forums > Photography Talk > Best settings in PS and LR for web images.

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

What are the best settings in PS and LR for web images?  When I first started out 10 years ago I researched this but haven't keep on it.  Early on I got crappy results with the save for web option and just converted images myself.  I have read that it has improved.

Currently I am exporting images from LR to be worked on in Photoshop with these settings:

Format:  PSD
Color Space:  AdobeRGB 1998
Bit Depth:    16
Resolution:  240

Then in Photoshop I have been converting when I save images to be posted on the web using this:    sRGB  ICE6 1966-2.1

Suggestions?

Feb 14 15 11:50 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

nm

Feb 14 15 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
nm

nm ?

Feb 14 15 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Rik Austin wrote:
nm ?

never mind

These are NOT "best". These are what I prefer.

ps:
16 bit tiff, adobe RGB or wide gamut RGB (depends on raw converter)

web:
sRBG color space,  jpeg.8-10 compression, 320 - 800 pixel width

Feb 14 15 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

For general web use I run a compression of 70-ish in most cases. 

For use on my own website I often compress as low as 30 just to keep the file sizes small and things running fast.

Feb 14 15 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

A. I. Studios

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

It is simple, just do File/Save for web , it will convert on its own from whatever color-space to sRGB, it will do the compression and gives you a preview to how it will look like after the compression. It will also strip the EXF and any other into.

Feb 14 15 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Rik Austin wrote:
What are the best settings in PS and LR for web images?  When I first started out 10 years ago I researched this but haven't keep on it.  Early on I got crappy results with the save for web option and just converted images myself.  I have read that it has improved.

Currently I am exporting images from LR to be worked on in Photoshop with these settings:

Format:  PSD
Color Space:  AdobeRGB 1998
Bit Depth:    16
Resolution:  240

Then in Photoshop I have been converting when I save images to be posted on the web using this:    sRGB  ICE6 1966-2.1

Suggestions?

You're close to what I do, except forget about the resolution - you just want to use the full native pixels.

For the web: Use Save for Web and have convert to sRGB and embed color space checked.

Really, as easy as that.

P.S. Except I don't use Lightroom I use Capture One Pro - used to use Lightroom.

Feb 14 15 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks guys.  I'll give save for web a try again.  Didn't seem to look as good even this go-round but I'll experiment some more.

Feb 15 15 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Los Angeles, California, US

Rik Austin wrote:
Thanks guys.  I'll give save for web a try again.  Didn't seem to look as good even this go-round but I'll experiment some more.

I haven't checked into it but, if there is a setting tied to Save for Web that allows you to select "convert to" vs "assign to" for the color space it saves as, you want to make sure it is set to "convert to."

That's the only thing I can think of for it to be causing you such noticeable grief.

The only other thing I can think of is that the gamut range of your original image is largely falling outside of where sRGB gamut runs and there isn't any way to match those same colors between the two on conversion. But, that seems to be quite rare.

Feb 15 15 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks.  That was another question I had.  Found what looks like a good resource:

http://colormanagementinfo.com/Articles/

Feb 16 15 07:39 am Link