Forums > Photography Talk > PDN Photo Annual Entry Fees

Photographer

Big Apple Models

New York, New York, US

So I get an email from PDN to enter their Photo Annual competition.
http://www.pdnphotoannual.com/about.shtml

They want $60 to enter 1 photo to be judged for inclusion in the Annual.

How long does it take to judge a photo? $60 seems like a lot and was enough for me to say forget it.
If they're looking for the best, why charge at all?

Feb 17 15 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Big Apple Models wrote:
...why charge at all?

EZ, the commodity they're selling is Fame... the Johns a.k.a. "tricks" they are turning are emerging photographers who seek an identity, brand reconnection, marketing material and haven't got their game up to publication level... Yes it is a credential for an emerging artist, if you're not in that camp maybe just move on...  That said, for hobbyist it can be a cherished attribute... and understandably so... many moons ago when first starting my journey I was thrilled to place in a juried show, the prize rewarded was twice the entrance fee and not so strangely was a voucher at the local Picture & Frame Shop... smart move on the shop's part, no?  lol

Feb 17 15 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Who's judging this year? Most of the jurying fee goes to pay the judges. They're going to have thousands  of entries, which is going to work out to a full day's work for them, if not several. Many people will jury for cheap, but it's hard to find working professionals or artists that will put in a few days' work for free.

Member and student shows aside, contests with no entry fee are almost never worth entering. There's usually no prize, and they usually get a nobody to judge, so there aren't even bragging rights. My biggest claim to fame is being a college photo instructor, and even I get paid for jurying, unless it's a student show. I've never been paid enough to do it for the money, but it's always something. I've gotten gift cards for dinner a few times.

That said, most contests are $30-$80 entry fee, for 3-8 images. Maybe more, if it's meant to be a series. $50 for one is awful pricy.

If you consider yourself an artist, I'd pass on PDN. Nobody in your business cares much, and it's a rip. If you consider yourself a professional, I'd do it anyway. It's still a rip, but at least the award means something to professionals.

Feb 17 15 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Los Angeles, California, US

It's $60 right now due to it being "past the deadline."  The deadline was Feb. 3 but, they have since pushed it back and increased the fee.

I think it was $50 for pros and $30 for students if you submitted during the normal deadline.

Also, I believe it is the same submission fee for single entries and series if I am not mistaken (just check the site).

Feb 17 15 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

More and more, PDN just seems like a cheesy contest promotion company.

Feb 17 15 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've received PDN since it was the New York Photo District News and was a tabloid.
If you need to ask, you should save your money.....

While it is not the publication it was in the 80's I still consider it important and I still
subscribe.

Feb 17 15 08:37 pm Link