Forums > Critique > When Do you Know That You're Done?

Model

Astrid Kallsen

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've been modeling for a year now, but I think I expired myself.  I don't love my most current photos (not on MM, except my profile photo), and I'm not sure if it's me or the photographers. Since I've worked with quite a few photographers, I'm thinking it's me.  Is it time to hang up the towel, and realize I just don't make the cut? How do you determine if you've reached your apex?

Or if I haven't... how can I get beyond whatever is blocking me?

I know a thousand girls want to do this, and competition is fierce and blah.  I know I won't be Kate Moss or even remotely close, but I'd like to be able to feel proud of my work, and maybe create something mesmerizing.  I didn't get into modeling to be admired or goof off; I wanted to make something that would mean something to more than myself.

Feb 18 15 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

DNphotography

Oxford, Alabama, US

I don't think you have reached your apex, not even close. You're so young, so much ahead of you.

Most have times of feeling their work sux. I know I do. The main thing for me is to find models that inspire me to shoot what I like to shoot, mainly beauty. Find some photographer that has work that inspires you, that you would like to create with.

As far as creating something that would mean something to more than myself. First and foremost if you create something that pleases you, that makes you smile and say hell yeah. That's all that matters. Sure we all like it when our work is appreciated buy others, but we can't get caught up in all that. Create from your heart and soul, hopefully it will inspire others.

Feb 19 15 08:30 am Link

Model

Astrid Kallsen

Atlanta, Georgia, US

That's inspirational. Thank you!

Also your port is gorgeous! Absolutely stunning and impressive work!

Feb 19 15 09:03 am Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Some good advice from DNPhotography and I also don't feel you've peeked. I've had shoots where I felt like I had to really work to pick out images I was satisfied with and some where I had a high percentage of keepers and struggled to choose from several of the same look. When I view a models port I usually know within a few seconds if I think we'd work well together and the instant I opened yours I immediately thought, damn, I'd love to shoot with her wink

I certainly don't feel you should give up. At 21 years old you've barely scratched the surface. Modeling is hard work, as you already know,  and it takes practice and physical conditioning to excel. Keep Shootin! JR

Just one mans opinion.

Feb 19 15 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Perhaps you are not feeling the aspirations you once had, being realized?

Your overall size would indicate more potential, than I see realized in your images, So I wonder if you are looking for the right photogs, or whether you even are attempting to work through a pro agency, in Atlanta, for commercial images?

The number one thing I see missing, in most of the ports here, are images that are commercially usable. I suspect you may need that gratification, for your efforts, to feel more fulfilled.

Feb 19 15 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Hiltunen

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

You have some good, creative images in your port that definitely do not look like the same-old, same-old that most people do. If that is your goal, keep doing it and know there will be times when you are dissatisfied with what you've done (that's normal for creative people and inspires us to progress).

I would work with you in a heart beat!

(I don't say that often)

Feb 19 15 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Some people are happy doing the same old, same old, and often do not realise that that is what they are doing.

Other people want to stretch themselves and do better than they did last time.  I suspect that you are one of them.

If so, success becomes increasingly difficult to achieve because you need to keep working with progressively better photographers.

The good news is that, as your portfolio becomes progressively better, the better photographers will become increasingly inclined to work with, so give some thought to your current strategy for finding photographers.

Do you wait for photographers to come to you (which is what most models do)?

Do you rely on casting calls (not a very productive strategy on MM)?

Do you actively seek out photographers?  (Every year, I wade through the list of active MM models within a 50 mile radius and contact those who look and sound interesting.  It is a lot of work, but it is the only way to find models on MM in this part of the world.)

Feb 19 15 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Tarragon

New York, New York, US

I can see why you are dissatisfied and a little confused. The nudes are very nice and some of the other shots are interesting. I can also see why you like your avatar, I like it a lot. Do you know why you like it over the others? I know why I do. It's a clear picture of a beautiful woman's face. No strange (monster) lighting or hair color, no distractions. The reason you're confused is your portfolio is a photographer's portfolio, not a model's. Your portfolio should make me say "WHO IS THAT MODEL??!! What I do say is there are some interesting pictures here.

You have a lovely face and a good body - It should be the goal of your portfolio to make the viewer sit up and take notice of YOU, meaning a clear shot of your face, nude or not. Find photographers who will make that their goal and you'll be a lot more satisfied with your portfolio.

Good luck and show us some great photos of you..

Feb 19 15 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think the photographer plays as big a part in the photos out come as the model, I believe you are capable of creating some very compelling images. As just one of the photographers out there I have my own opinions and what I expect to see in a photograph.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150212/18/54dd5e58750e3_m.jpg
When I look at this photo I see things I would do differently, but like I say these are just my opinions.
Models pose could have more dynamics, notice how head and body are kind of square to the camera.
I would pose head differently, raise chin up so I can see all of your beautiful eyes
Move away from the wall, for my taste a background that is way out of focus is less distracting

In my opinion you are not ready to throw in the towel yet!

Wish you well

Feb 20 15 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Jean Renard Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

there are several major points in your post.
First what are your expectations about being in the business.  The more you refine those the better, then the reality is that this is mostly a collaborative process and you are only as strong as your weakest link.
You simply cannot assume that if you show up the results will be great.  It takes a lot more work than that and more if you want to make money at it.

So many models today have no clue about what goes into a great shoot, they drift in and out of sessions not paying any attention to anything at all.  Someone like MOSH who takes over every single aspect from hair, styling, make up and even concepts has done so to guarantee the final results, she will work with qualified pros she encounters and remembers their names and what they do well, but she is self contained and knows what she wants to accomplish, and gets it.

As ANYONE who enters into the creative arts, the first steps are mostly on you.  The investment is front loaded.  There are a few spectacularly marketable talents that are found and made into stars overnight, but that is not the norm and now that agencies no longer develop models, that process is left up to the models themselves.

You are self employed in this game.  If you don't like what is happening change it, don't look outside of yourself for the answers though .

Feb 20 15 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

James Garfield

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Hi
I'm not sure why you think you've reached your peak and after all a year is nothing in this game. Without wanting to offend for me there's only one amazing image in your pf:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/35422603

and it's not amazing because it's suggestive, it's amazing because at moment you and the photographer had gotten the absolute best out of each others talents. The rest are just meh.

I always give the same advice and most of the time it falls on deaf ears. If you really want to be a model, if you're really serious then find the most awesome photographer you can whose work blows you away and pay to have him/her create your portfolio. Photographers aren't just there to press the shutter, they're there to inspire you and drive you to get THAT image. Now go and make something of yourself.

Regards
James

www.jamesgarfield.com.au

Feb 21 15 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Korn

Seattle, Washington, US

I think you'll know you're done when it no longer interests you.

Looking at your portfolio, you have some really beautiful images and you appear to be a talented model.

I get tired of looking at my stuff, too.  We all do.  It's not fresh to us after a while, but to someone seeing it for the first time, they like it.

If you enjoy it, hang in there.  If it's no longer holding your interest, take a break.  Try again in a few months and see if it's something you'd like to continue doing.

Feb 21 15 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I encourage members to look at Astrid's website:   http://thenorwaygoddess.wix.com/thenorwaygoddess   Her images are compelling and she's working with talented photographers.   My feeling is she feels a bit burned out.   Take a few weeks or months off.   Its oblivious that you enjoy modeling so don't quit.   What are your modeling goals?   Can you travel a bit for shoots.   Sometimes a change of cities or even countries is helpful.   Some members host models.   Maybe try that and arrange sessions.   Thinking about working with another female model for art imagery.   Clearly you have a artists vision.   Try doing some photos yourself.

Feb 21 15 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

To me the biggest flaw I see is the consistency or more to the point the lack of it in the quality of the shots in your portfolio.

I see some shots that would make me want to work with you and others that to be blunt put me off working with you. I do know its not fair to judge a model by the quality of the photographers work but life isn't fair and a bad image does affect a persons decision.

You have good potential, I think what you need is an ability to cull your portfolio objectively or find somebody willing to do it for you. Please don't take that as overly critical it's something we all struggle with, myself especially.

Feb 24 15 03:25 am Link

Model

Astrid Kallsen

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So I thank you all for your replies! I've been re-inspired to work with new photographers, instead of acting shy.  I've also been updating a few of my photos on my port, to focus more on me as the model instead of the image as a whole (obviously I still give in to the whole, because it's that collaboration between photographer and model that I love most).  I'm often limited as a student.  I travel when I can, but school doesn't leave me a lot of time or money to do so.  Luckily new photographers pop up in my area from time to time, or travel to my area for a day.  I think I've had a lot of problems with myself because I blame myself when I don't like my results.  Currently learning to edit photos, and how to do hair and make-up, so I can have more control in the process.  If I didn't love modeling so much, I think I'd have quit by now.  I don't know why it touches me so, but it definitely pushes me to get better in everyway I can.  Hopefully in a few years, you'll see my face a lot more, but doesn't every model have that dream?

Feb 25 15 06:36 pm Link