Forums > Photography Talk > Should I charge for unretouched images?

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I have always had an issue with giving anyone unretouched images.  Not because they are bad but because they are not complete representations of my work.  As time goes by though I'm starting to care less and less about that so here I am asking i I should charge or not charge for unretouched images.  I'm working on a "Build Your Own Package" thing for my website at the moment and I want to make sure my prices make sense.  This is what I have at the moment:

- Photography Fee:  $50 per hour
- Retouched Images:  $15 per image
- Unretouched Images: $1 per image
- Outdoor Location:  Free (unless a permit is needed)
- Studio:  $30 per hour, available Monday through Friday
- Makeup Artist:  $75 for 2 hours, $25 per additional hour
- Hair Stylist:  $75 for 2 hours, $25 per additional hour

Is this a good idea or a bad one?  Please explain.  Thanks :-)

EDIT:  The studio is not mine.  I rent it out from someone at that rate.

P.S . If you think I should lower any of the prices let me know as well.  I'm open to suggestions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW EDIT - 2/26/15

Ok so after reading all of the comments and visiting some of the links provided I came up with the following:

PICK YOUR PACKAGE
1 person per package.  Individual headshots, portraits and modeling photography only.  Photoshoots are lit using natural and/or continuous light (no flash).  All unretouched images included with packages.

PACKAGE A - $145
- A 1 hour long outdoor photoshoot
- Unlimited wardrobe changes (time and location permitting)
- 2 lightly retouched images
- 20 prints
- All images available for download

PACKAGE B - $290
- A 2 hour long outdoor photoshoot
- 4 lightly retouched images
- 40 prints

PACKAGE C - $350
- A 2 hour long studio photoshoot
- Unlimited wardrobe changes (time permitting)
- 40 prints

PACKAGE D - $470
- A 4 hour long studio and outdoor photoshoot
- 40 prints

ADD-ONS
- Light Retouching:  $20 per image
- High-End Retouching:  $20 per hour
- Additional Prints:  $2.50 per image
- Additional Outdoor Shooting Time:  $60 per hour (photography fee)
- Additional Studio Shooting Time:  $90 per hour ($30 for studio, $60 photography fee)
- Makeup Artist: Varies depending on availability
- Hair Stylist: Varies depending on availability

CORPORATE, EDITORIAL & COMMERCIAL PHOTOSHOOTS
To get a quote please send a detailed project itinerary (type of photoshoot, number of individuals, duration of project, budget, number of retouched and/or unretouched images desired, etc.) via the contact page.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if this is better.  Thanks!

Feb 22 15 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
- Retouched Images:  $15 per image
- Unretouched Images: $100 per image

that's better

Feb 22 15 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

that's better

DAAAAAAAMN lol.  Are you serious?  Is that how much you would charge?

Feb 22 15 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Your studio rate seems pretty low, and combined with that, charging only $1.00 for unretouched shots, where are you charging for your skills and expertise in this field? Does that even cover the cost of printing?

Feb 22 15 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

DespayreFX wrote:
Your studio rate seems pretty low, and combined with that, charging only $1.00 for unretouched shots, where are you charging for your skills and expertise in this field? Does that even cover the cost of printing?

Oh I don't print anything, I just send files via e-mail.  The studio is someone else's.  That's their rate.  I should have probably stated that in the original post.  I'll fix that now.

Feb 22 15 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

My thought is if you are charging them to take the pictures, then they should get the pictures (usage and personal reproduction at least), since they paid you to take them.  Charging someone twice for something seems exploitative and sleazy.  If I paid someone $50 an hour to cut weeds in my yard I would balk at also paying $1 per weed they cut.  Retouching is a separate service, though, so it should be charged for.

And looking over your prices, you look cheap.  Price yourself higher.  Much higher.  If people pay it, then great.  But if someone can't/won't pay it, and they ask about lower prices, you'll have lots of wiggle room to go down on them and they'll enjoy that.  And, in retrospect, that last sentence came out sounding really dirty, and it wasn't on purpose!  hmm  But it works.  I know a guy in California who does special effects.  The difference between me paying him to do something and a studio paying him to do something is a couple of orders of magnitude.

I live in a poor place.  I think $80 to $100 an hour is a good start for picture taking.  It's a lot of work.  If you think of overhead, you probably only get about half that as actual in pocket money.  So $100 an hour is the $50 you want, but if you only ask for $50 then it's $25 an hour.  And $25 isn't enough to convince me to take pictures of someone I don't want to take pictures of.  I do minimal retouching, and almost all the jobs I've done for money were for a company that wanted raw images so their art department could edit them.  So I really don't know how much to suggest there.  Charge more for the studio.  It probably costs a lot more than $30 an hour just to pay for the space, utilities ,and upkeep of just the building without counting the studio equipment inside the building.  I'd drop the hair/make up fixed rate, and just say "extra" depending on who ends up doing hair makeup.

Feb 22 15 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

When I shoot trade I never give models unretouched photos but the few times I did paid work I provided all the images and let the models pick the images they wanted retouched, they kept everything.  I agree it makes it sound like you're trying to get them to pay for the same service twice.

Oh and be careful about your retouching rates in the future.  When it comes to retouching some images, specifically beauty, can take a lot longer than other images, specifically fashion.  You don't shoot much beauty work now but if you ever start to I suggest you break it up into two categories (fashion and beauty) or charge by the hour instead.  I used to have my retouching rates based on image and it eventually resulted in me getting screwed over because people would be paying $15 bucks or whatever for an image that would take me 3 hours.

Feb 22 15 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Thanks Schlake and Laura Bello!

Ok so what if I upped my price to $75 or $100 an hour and included the unretouched images.  Then, I split the retouching to something like...

Natural Retouching: $15 per image

Beauty Retouching: $15 per hour

I can then take time to explain the amount of retouching for each so that people know what the difference is.  I would say that basic would me more natural and beauty would be more commercial or something along those lines.

Feb 22 15 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Los Angeles, California, US

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
The studio is someone else's.  That's their rate.  .

Where is the markup?

The goal is to turn a profit. Not break even.

Feb 22 15 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:
Thanks Schlake and Laura Bello!

Ok so what if I upped my price to $75 or $100 an hour and included the unretouched images.  Then, I split the retouching to something like...

Natural Retouching: $15 per image

Beauty Retouching: $15 per hour

I can then take time to explain the amount of retouching for each so that people know what the difference is.  I would say that basic would me more natural and beauty would be more commercial or something along those lines.

Why not Retouching: $x an hour

?  There isn't a need to separate it out. Is there?

Feb 22 15 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Gary Livingston wrote:

Where is the markup?

Well clients actually pay her (the studio owner) in person not me so if I marked it up it would make no sense since I don't touch that money.  I do it that way because she has a cancellation contract so I would rather the client be responsible in the event that they cancel rather than me.

Feb 22 15 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Gary Livingston wrote:

Why not Retouching: $x an hour

?  There isn't a need to separate it out. Is there?

They are very different types of retouching.  High-End I would have someone else do.  Natural I do myself and I know it takes me like 30 minutes to an hour so $15 per image makes sense to me when it comes to that.

Feb 22 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Herbert

Bellevue, Washington, US

Providing unretouched images reinforces the idea that the camera is the photographer and that anybody who owns a camera can do the job. It's better to tell people you wish it were so easy to deliver photos right from the camera but that it doesn't work that way. Because generally it doesn't.

Feb 22 15 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Carl Herbert wrote:
Providing unretouched images reinforces the idea that the camera is the photographer and that anybody who owns a camera can do the job. It's better to tell people you wish it were so easy to deliver photos right from the camera but that it doesn't work that way. Because generally it doesn't.

Do you charge for unretouched images?  If so, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you charge?

Feb 22 15 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I don't offer unretouched images, unless it was agreed on beforehand. I find that the vast majority of the time, clients see the unretouched images, and conclude that those are the final photos, and I didn't make them look very good. Explaining the process never seems to help, and I end up with a shooting fee(which is paid upfront), but no money for delivering images.

So now what I do is whittle it down to a couple images per look/pose, and pick my favorite image from the whole shoot. They get super low-res versions of everything, and a high-res version of the one I liked and edited. If they like that one too, we're done. If not, hourly rate. I don't charge for individual images - that's just built into the shooting fee and editing rate. And if it isn't edited, they don't get it.

I find that clients find it less confusing, and are more likely to spend, if you break it down into as few invoice items as possible. With more items, they feel like they're buying more, even if the price is the same. Maybe it's me and my limited clientele, but I've had more luck with $50/hour than with $30/hour and $20/image.

That said, I've had the best luck with package pricing.

Feb 22 15 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Your pricing is very bad and so un-L.A. that you must be working in Alaska between fishing jobs. I can come up with no other explanation for such a hit job on yourself. It's like you're your own financial assassin. You need to charge a minimum of $350 for headshots, and included in that is the studio. Charge $300 if you want to hurt yourself a lit bit.

Why. Your clients may boil down to just one a day. Competition is fierce in L.A. for actors stuff. And Headshots is where it is at. And it sets the price for other things like corporate portraits.

You're at four looks and in L.A. some people price per look. $90 but really it is at least $180 as most actors are worried about the right look. And most will go for 4 looks. It is standard and reasonable. Nobody charges by the hour for portraits. I can do one in ten minutes. There's sometimes travel time and they aren't always on time. Traffic in Alaska?  In L.A. it is so tough, it's like an anaconda is wrapped around everyone's time, stalling progress.

If you're talking modelling portfolio. $350 for 4 looks is a low price. Actors also give up and flee this town like locusts moving backwards. Same with models. Had one announce on my sacred facebook page that L.A. models was booking me for him. He suddenly took off for San Francisco because his bank account demanded that he move. So he went where he could get work and not in modelling, of course. http://www.alanweissman.com/?gclid=CjwK … oCkpTw_wcB
Go to his prices. Note that he includes 50 photos. Why? Actors still have to send them . . . He knows his market.

Here are prices for a photographer who does weddings but also picks up corporate portraits: http://www.robgreerportraits.com/pricing

Feb 22 15 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

I pay models and give them all the untouch images I keep on CD.

Feb 22 15 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
Your pricing is very bad and so un-L.A. that you must be working in Alaska between fishing jobs. I can come up with no other explanation for such a hit job on yourself. It's like you're your own financial assassin. You need to charge a minimum of $350 for headshots, and included in that is the studio. Charge $300 if you want to hurt yourself a lit bit.

Why. Your clients may boil down to just one a day. Competition is fierce in L.A. for actors stuff. And Headshots is where it is at. And it sets the price for other things like corporate portraits.

You're at four looks and in L.A. some people price per look. $90 but really it is at least $180 as most actors are worried about the right look. And most will go for 4 looks. It is standard and reasonable. Nobody charges by the hour for portraits. I can do one in ten minutes. There's sometimes travel time and they aren't always on time. Traffic in Alaska?  In L.A. it is so tough, it's like an anaconda is wrapped around everyone's time, stalling progress.

If you're talking modelling portfolio. $350 for 4 looks is a low price. Actors also give up and flee this town like locusts moving backwards. Same with models. Had one announce on my sacred facebook page that L.A. models was booking me for him. He suddenly took off for San Francisco because his bank account demanded that he move. So he went where he could get work and not in modelling, of course. http://www.alanweissman.com/?gclid=CjwK … oCkpTw_wcB
Go to his prices. Note that he includes 50 photos. Why? Actors still have to send them . . . He knows his market.

Here are prices for a photographer who does weddings but also picks up corporate portraits: http://www.robgreerportraits.com/pricing

+1000

Feb 22 15 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

May I add, if you do family portraits you should charge a sitting fee instead of a hourly fee. You should be the one dealing with the studio not your clients. What you are charging is ridiculous. You are going to be out of business very soon. Don't take this as an insult. Take it as constructive criticism. The only way you can be successful in this business is if you value what you offer.

Feb 22 15 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've had people ask for an unretouched image after seeing my retouching. lol.

charge what the market will bear. what will your market bear? dunno. it's your market, not mine.

Feb 22 15 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The answer to your questions depends on what you are trying to achieve.

if you are a hobbyist, just trying to make some pin money, your rates are fine and you will soon work out what adjustments are necessary.

If you are trying to make a living at photography, you need to make some calculations.

Start with the hourly rate that you think you need to charge to cover your labour, i.e. what you think you would have to pay yourself as an employee.  Now think about the necessary multiplier, because you have overheads and there are plenty of time-stealers that ensure that you cannot get paid for every hour that you work.

As a good rule of thumb, if you run a very tight ship, you can get way with a multiplier of 2.5 times your desired hourly rate. Most operations need a multiplier of 3, and the badly run businesses need higher.

Looked at from the other direction, your suggested rate of $50/hr suggests that you value your time at $20/hr or less.

Feb 23 15 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

Gary Livingston wrote:

Where is the markup?

+1

Plus,

Why not provide a finished product? Too many options. Most people just want their headshot and wouldn't know what to do with an unretouched 'unfinished' image. And what about quality control? Make things easy for your clients and price things to make money.

Feb 23 15 05:08 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Yajhil Alvarez wrote:

Well clients actually pay her (the studio owner) in person not me so if I marked it up it would make no sense since I don't touch that money.  I do it that way because she has a cancellation contract so I would rather the client be responsible in the event that they cancel rather than me.

this is interesting.  I find it unusual that you would expect the client to book the studio.  do you find that your clients prefer to do this themselves rather than pay you to do it?  I think it is more typical for the photographer to provide this as part of their service (and charge an appropriate markup for doing so).

Does the client have to make full payment to the studio at the time of booking?

Feb 23 15 10:29 am Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I agree with some others that $1 for unretouched photos seems strange. 

For jobs where the only deliverable is unretouched photos (e.g. shooting images of a golf tournament for display during the dinner after golfing), but I would just include this in the overall fee rather than billing for individual photos.

I am personally more a fan of including everything in packages (e.g. one hour of shooting including 3 retouched images) rather than an a la carte approach.  You can always negotiate something custom for those that require it.  Otherwise you always have to make sure any combination of your menu of services is something you want to offer.  For example, if someone books you and purchases just one unretouched image are you happy offering that service?

Feb 23 15 10:37 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

David Kirk wrote:

this is interesting.  I find it unusual that you would expect the client to book the studio.  do you find that your clients prefer to do this themselves rather than pay you to do it?  I think it is more typical for the photographer to provide this as part of their service (and charge an appropriate markup for doing so).

Does the client have to make full payment to the studio at the time of booking?

It actually has worked out so far.  Her and I both get paid in cash on the day of the shoot.  All I do is give the client the studio information, they contact her, fill out her contract, and set the date.  If they decided to back out and they don't give enough notice then they are responsible for the studio costs per her contract. 

It works for me because I don't have a studio (and I make that clear) so that people know that when they book the studio they have to be responsible.  I just shot 4 Korean businessmen at her studio like a week or two ago and there were no issues.  Their representative set up the studio stuff, I showed up, did my job, and that was that. 

I guess I could also do a paypal thing but that would complicate things for me.  That means I would have to charge them for the studio before the shoot, send them the contract and then send it to her, and if they don't cancel in time I would have to go to the bank, take her money out, and then go to her studio to give it to her (I don't have a car).  It would just suck ass.  Not that I anticipate a ton of people backing out without giving enough notice (it hasn't happened yet for paying shoots), but you never know.

Feb 23 15 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

David Kirk wrote:
I agree with some others that $1 for unretouched photos seems strange. 

For jobs where the only deliverable is unretouched photos (e.g. shooting images of a golf tournament for display during the dinner after golfing), but I would just include this in the overall fee rather than billing for individual photos.

I am personally more a fan of including everything in packages (e.g. one hour of shooting including 3 retouched images) rather than an a la carte approach.  You can always negotiate something custom for those that require it.  Otherwise you always have to make sure any combination of your menu of services is something you want to offer.  For example, if someone books you and purchases just one unretouched image are you happy offering that service?

I ended up changing the entire thing.  I will post the new pricing in a few.  You guys all made a lot of good points :-)

Feb 23 15 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Mark Reeder Photography wrote:

+1

Plus,

Why not provide a finished product? Too many options. Most people just want their headshot and wouldn't know what to do with an unretouched 'unfinished' image. And what about quality control? Make things easy for your clients and price things to make money.

Thank you

Feb 23 15 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

LA StarShooter wrote:

You're extremely helpful.  I took everything you said and adjusted it to fit what I'm trying to do.  I will post the new idea in a few.  Thanks.

Feb 23 15 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

me voy wrote:
May I add, if you do family portraits you should charge a sitting fee instead of a hourly fee. You should be the one dealing with the studio not your clients. What you are charging is ridiculous. You are going to be out of business very soon. Don't take this as an insult. Take it as constructive criticism. The only way you can be successful in this business is if you value what you offer.

I totally value what I offer.  I just don't know a ton about pricing other than from browsing other people's stuff.  Oh and I don't do family portraits.  I wouldn't be very good at that.  The most I have shot so far are two people at once.  Thank you!

Feb 23 15 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

ontherocks wrote:
i've had people ask for an unretouched image after seeing my retouching. lol.

charge what the market will bear. what will your market bear? dunno. it's your market, not mine.

I had that happen once but the woman was crazy.  It's a long story.

Feb 23 15 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

There are markets where retouching is not just unneeded, it's frowned upon. I did a shoot of a little vacation house for a broker that was going to rent it out for visitors to Tucson. No retouching wanted or accepted. I submitted straight images in the size they needed and within a couple of hours, the money appeared in my bank account.

Similarly, I shot for a magazine cover recently where they wanted RAW images. Again, I showed "proof" shots. They chose five and had money in my account that day.

Sometimes you just need to provide the service the client wants. There may be a good reason, or not. Who cares if you get paid?

Feb 23 15 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Your prices are waaay too low. And instead of itemizing all this stuff you might consider doing more of a "package" format. Like, $350 gets you "this".

Think of it like you telling the consumer what's on the menu, vs them telling you what they want to eat. It's your kitchen bro, and this ain't no Burger King.

As for unretouched/ unedited images, my preference is always to leave the stuff that doesn't look the best where it belongs... 1's and 0's on a backup drive. But if you're going to put raw files/ unedited/ unretouched on the table I'd probably just come up with a flat fee for all of them and keep it simple so that you aren't spending time taking client requests for onesies and twosies.

Feb 23 15 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

LA StarShooter wrote:

+1

Feb 23 15 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

me voy wrote:

+1!!!!!!!!!

Feb 23 15 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Pretend you're an 18-year-old straight guy, and your potential clients are reasonably attractive young women. (figuratively speaking) They have something you want, and one of the best things you can do is *not say/do things they find off-putting. I've always felt that women shouldn't be asked too many things, because they'll sometimes become annoyed by a man lacking confidence or his own opinions/desires. In a similar regard, clients don't usually want questions they want solutions. Overwhelming them with options will force them to require a larger investment of time & thought, which will usually send them packing and looking for a more straight-forward photographer.....unless your work is the cat's ass!

FotoQuote recommends a 300% markup for RAW images, if I recall correctly. I have one client I sell my unedited video footage, at an added cost. In spite of the fact that I get paid when the session is done and I transfer the .MOV clips from my cameras to my laptop to his USB stick(s). If you have rock-bottom prices then clients will believe your work is of little value. Either it is, or perhaps there's another reason you aren't charging more. (they'll think in their minds)

This is merely my opinion.

Danny
FACEBOOK
DBIphotography Toronto

“The vilest deeds – like poison weeds – bloom well in prison air; it is only what is good in man that wastes & withers there.”
~Oscar Wilde

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be. Anyone who questions the weight of my opinion(s) is free to validate my words based upon their review of my work (website) – which may/may not be supportive.

Feb 23 15 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Match Frame Productions

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

NOBODY is getting unretouched images from me. NOBODY. Any more than I would release a draft of my resume before I removed the typos, corrected any grammar flaws and perfected the language. Think about it!

And if your licensing agreement allows others to retouch and manipulate your images, you've just given away any control you might have had over what they end up with. If they over-retouch the photo to pieces - you're the one who's going to take the hit. If their monitors are uncalibrated and they release green skin tones, it's on you. If the final image isn't something you'd be proud to showcase, too bad. It's out there now and you can never pull it back.

Now there are several levels of retouching as many have noted. But even for simple retouching, you can't be giving stuff away. Remember this: that which you GIVE away for free, immediately has no value.

Bill

Feb 26 15 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Match Frame Productions wrote:
NOBODY is getting unretouched images from me. NOBODY. Any more than I would release a draft of my resume before I removed the typos, corrected any grammar flaws and perfected the language. Think about it!

And if your licensing agreement allows others to retouch and manipulate your images, you've just given away any control you might have had over what they end up with. If they over-retouch the photo to pieces - you're the one who's going to take the hit. If their monitors are uncalibrated and they release green skin tones, it's on you. If the final image isn't something you'd be proud to showcase, too bad. It's out there now and you can never pull it back.

Now there are several levels of retouching as many have noted. But even for simple retouching, you can't be giving stuff away. Remember this: that which you GIVE away for free, immediately has no value.

Bill

+1

With respect to Commercial work, I could't agree with the bolded statement *more!

Feb 26 15 06:48 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone.  So if you look at my original post you will see that I added new prices at the bottom.  I took everyone's advice so hopefully these prices are better.  Let me know.

Feb 26 15 01:06 pm Link