Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > GhallichiGlam.com encourages cross contamination..

Makeup Artist

Jess Makeup

London, England, United Kingdom

So I decided to sign up to GhallichiGlam.com a site reality star Lily Ghallichi has created to showcase makeup artists work by having them teach online tutorials on either Lilly or models.  Generally geared at those that enjoy highlighting/contouring uber glam makeup looks.  Now this isn't necessarily my thing at all, but I thought why not since it was so cheap, and I genuinely was intrigued to see what the hype was about.

....oh dear, I'm actually quite disgusted at what I've witnessed.  I have watched a few of the tutorials by different artists, and time and time again I have seen all basic hygiene rules, any professional makeup artist would abide by, completely thrown out the window. I'm talking double dipping of numerous mascaras, lip glosses, no disposables used on their client be it Lilly or a model. Even referencing how they use that product all the time as its their favourite.  I've seen Scott Barnes advise to take lashes and "puff hot air on to them" - his words as he literally puffs air on to them a good 5 times, with even Lilly looking completely in shock.  I saw one mua using a very used gel liner and putting his 266 in it back and forth on to Lilly's eyes. 
But the worst has to be makeup artist Samuel whos recently been doing Kylie Jenner's makeup, he used 2 mascaras and 2 lip glosses straight from the applicator, I actually cant believe what I saw.  Like is this the new generation of makeup???

Lilly a social media entrepreneur has obviously decided to coin in on the ever growing makeup industry, which we all are aware is overly saturated, she knows for a fact that a lot of the viewers that sign up are either heavily interested in makeup or aspiring to be a makeup artist, that is no doubt.  So does she not think, with every dollar she makes from them, that maybe she owes them a little respect to teach them basic hygiene?! Perhaps I'm being too naive here, Lilly isn't a makeup artist, this I know, but if she truly wants to make money from this then she should do it professionally. 

She's known for being associated with all things luxury, but she doesn't seem to realise right now all shes associating herself with is coldsores, styes, conjunctivitis, skin infections and serious viruses.  Its bad practise, and its only teaching bad practise.

Feb 23 15 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I realy dont see how you make the connection between "Reality Star" and respect ?
Its a generation thing I guess ?
Yes, you are being incredibly naive.

Feb 23 15 11:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jess Makeup

Sounds to me like you have some personal issues with reality television/reality "celebrities" and thats something you'll have to deal with on your own, and to believe that any realiity star on this earth as a functioning human being with human emotions executes zero respect is an extremely narrow minded view. 

Whatever a persons career may be, is aside the point when it comes to actuall artists practising bad makeup hygiene.  I broke down who Lilly is, just for any one who may not know , and yes I stated  in all honesty I could be being naive, BECAUSE I actually Iike to have some faith in the future of makeup artistry - thats not a bad thing.

Feb 24 15 05:36 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

The majority of "reality show" people are not chosen because they are fine upstanding citizens. They are chosen because they are either cute or ugly, drunks or crazy... Thy should NEVER be looked up to as posative examples, case in point Honey Boo Boo's family.

Feb 24 15 05:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jess Makeup

I've never seen an episode of her reality show, nor do I watch or even have access to those shows. I do not look up to her, or aspire to her or feel inspired by her, she has no positive motivation on my life.  She is irrelevant.

I am talking about makeup artists some renown for their talents, educating other makeup artists bad unhygienic practise, doing so through Lilly's platform.

Feb 24 15 06:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

ThirdEyeMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

I remember at the Makeup Shop L.A. Scott Barnes was doing a demo and he blew on the lashes and told us that same trick. I love me some Scott, but i was pretty shocked! Unfortunately I see it everywhere- makeup artists with dirty brushes, double dipping, etc. It is disgusting, but all you can do is be pristine with your own kit and lead by example. Some people just don't *get it* because they don't follow hygiene rules for their own face. These people wouldn't bat a lash if someone else put a thrice used mascara on their lashes, so they don't even think to do it for their clients.

Feb 24 15 10:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sophia Porter

Lemont, Illinois, US

I've witnessed exactly what you are talking about, BUT I do know some makeup artists that give them the mascara (lipgloss I haven't heard of with this) to the client after they use it on them. It seems like a good way to raise your rate since they walk away with a fresh tube...

On the other hand, a lot of the things on those demos are kinda nasty. At least it isn't your face... Keep in mind a lot of those people are instagram famous or whatever. I don't necessarily look up to their techniques for what I do, but it is good to just watch other people to see how they go about achieving a look. Most real artists know better and sanitize their products as well as use disposables.

Feb 25 15 08:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

It's actually very common for makeup artists, especially ones like Scott Barnes to use mascara/lipstick/glosses directly on the clients, because they later give the product to them. Usually with celebrities, because makeup artists with that much success can afford to give away products to their clients. They also are constantly getting free products from brands all the time.
I'm pretty sure those makeup artists understand basic sanitization, and I guarantee that those products were given to the client after the look.

The only thing I agree is gross is blowing on lashes before applying to the client, ew and weird.

For example, if you watch Charlotte Tilbury's tutorials, she applies lipstick to her clients directly from the bullet to the lips. She also applies mascara with the wand directly to the client. But she has her own makeup line, she has an abundance of product available to her, she can give away product and not have a care in the world.

I've seen many makeup demos, I attended a Stila demo, they used products directly on the model. At the end, the model kept all products that were used on her.

It's a makeup artists job to understand sanitization. If a makeup artist is that naive to think you can just use lipstick on all clients without sanitizing it, then that is their own fault.

Mar 16 15 09:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Brophy

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I think with makeup companies they apply product the way a customer will after they purchase the product !
  everyday people double dip (i hate saying double dip yikes LOL ) and use makeup in this way smile

The other professionals you refer to I cant comment as I really dont know what goes on Ive seen bad practice alot hmm

Apr 30 15 04:46 pm Link