Forums > Model Colloquy > AA in Fashion?

Model

XeaClare

Walnut Creek, California, US

I'm a new model and wondering if I should get my AA in Fashion or something else that could help me further my career.  I was thinking of taking classes online so it doesn't interfere with my schedule. 

Thoughts/Experiences?

Feb 23 15 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Getting a degree in fashion makes a lot of sense if you plan to work in the industry, beyond modeling.

At a casting, nobody cares if you have an MBA in finance or are a graduate from FIT... what people care is that you know how to pose, how to walk the runway, follow instruction and can give different moods on command.

All of this you learn on set or by the runway coordinator at a show.

However, if your ambition goes beyond modeling, with a genuine interest in the fashion industry, e.g. fashion merchandizing, design or related professions and plan to work in that industry after your modeling career is finished... I totally recommend to go for it.

After all... if you go the professional route in the fashion industry, your experience as a model might help you, since you understand the process that leads to a fashion show... and you will look at the different fabrics and cuts with more details.

I know a lot of models who did just that here in NYC.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Feb 23 15 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

udor wrote:
Getting a degree in fashion makes a lot of sense if you plan to work in the industry, beyond modeling.

At a casting, nobody cares if you have an MBA in finance or are a graduate from FIT... what people care is that you know how to pose, how to walk the runway, follow instruction and can give different moods on command.

All of this you learn on set or by the runway coordinator at a show.

However, if your ambition goes beyond modeling, with a genuine interest in the fashion industry, e.g. fashion merchandizing, design or related professions and plan to work in that industry after your modeling career is finished... I totally recommend to go for it.

After all... if you go the professional route in the fashion industry, your experience as a model might help you, since you understand the process that leads to a fashion show... and you will look at the different fabrics and cuts with more details.

I know a lot of models who did just that here in NYC.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Possibly one of the finest recent posts in the Model's Forum...

My closest associate (our studio's most in demand fashion model) did just this... parleyed her AA degree into an amazing position managing a high end retail fashion outlet... with all the benefits of being a "real" employee... a.k.a. health care, vacation, sick leave and yes maturity leave which she benefited from...

We work closely with many of our market's fashion designer's and she learned a tremendous wealth of knowledge on the design and fabrication of textile artistry... the art and craft of fashion garments has a long and rich history... and is one of the most stable and growing industries to align with...  even though much of the assembly has moved off shore the design and retail aspects remain in place... 

Not to mention the fashion industry is HUGE... and in the US centered in NYC... 
Udor's tenured wisdom here is totally superb...

All the best on your journey xeaclare....

Feb 24 15 07:06 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

I'll go now. From the thread title, I thought this was gonna be about drunks being cool...

tongue

Feb 24 15 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Depends on what you think you can do with that. To be honest, most of those degrees just end up working in department Stores, in low level jobs. Look into it more carefully, before jumping in.

Feb 24 15 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

XeaClare wrote:
I'm a new model and wondering if I should get my AA in Fashion or something else that could help me further my career.  I was thinking of taking classes online so it doesn't interfere with my schedule. 

Thoughts/Experiences?

Fashion design? I think its good..
But as far as helping with modeling..
One thing has nothing to do with another..
I will say it will give you a better understanding.
But with modeling..... Agencies still want girls with strong looks and that have the right stats..
No school can help you with that.. An agency will either like your look or not...
If you go to school for fashion, first understand that its for fashion,not modeling.. Its not how you can become a model..
and the modeling schools out there are scams...

If you want to get your modeling career going.......
Find out if you have the look that agencies are looking for..
Do research on if you have the right height, strong enough look...
If you judge your self be honest, or ask a professional...

A guy who looks like Danny DeVito can get a degree in fashion...
But it does not mean because he has a degree in fashion he can model.......

Mar 12 15 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

I would think studying fashion might prove helpful for a fashion model.

Mar 12 15 10:48 am Link

Photographer

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

Pomona, California, US

Toto Photo wrote:
I would think studying fashion might prove helpful for a fashion model.

It does not change your look, height or change if you have a strong look or not..

Studying fashion is good... But walking into an agency with a degree in fashion, just means she is knowledgeable..
Does not make her a model though.......

Mar 12 15 11:44 am Link