Forums > Model Colloquy > Runway Modeling

Model

patNhyne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yesterday I went to my first casting, and was asked to walk and pose at the end.  I was fine for the first few seconds but as I approached the judges and they got closer I started trembling uncontroalably sad they saw that I was nervous and asked me to do it again and I did, getting better each time.
my question is, how do you as models calm your mind for a runway presentation, walking as if no one is watching but still engaging the audience?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mar 02 15 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

The darkened room helps.

Mar 02 15 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I've never done runway but one technique I use as an actor, whether auditioning or performing, is to imagine the audience, or in the case of a movie, the crew, naked.

Haven't needed to use it for years, so I guess the best technique is just to do it, do it and then do it some more.  Just like any other activity where you are being watched and judged, from alter boy to working performer, the more you do it, the more comfortable you become.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Mar 02 15 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

Don't pretend no one is watching, cause that's a lie and your brain will be conflicted.  Just choose one person who you trust to focus on, a friend, another model, the DJ.  You're performing for one person who won't crucify you.  The other people are a few random spectators, no one important, but you can still interact with them if you choose to, or not.
    I'm guessing that you are serious enough to practice.  It will probably help to practice in front of at least one person, get used to people watching you.

Mar 02 15 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

patNhyne wrote:
Yesterday I went to my first casting, and was asked to walk and pose at the end.  I was fine for the first few seconds but as I approached the judges and they got closer I started trembling uncontroalably sad they saw that I was nervous and asked me to do it again and I did, getting better each time.
my question is, how do you as models calm your mind for a runway presentation, walking as if no one is watching but still engaging the audience?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Okay, I am not a model, but I am very familiar with runway and when involved in production, have also instructed models in walking, how to prep and what the photographer's on the end of the runway expect from you.

There are some things that you should watch out for, which are extremely important on the runway and to get good images to the designer. Those things might keep your mind occupied enough.

First, you don't have to keep the audience "engaged" unless you walk for the Chippendale's!

If this is a real fashion show and not entertainment... the designer wants you to make the clothes look good, hence, it's not about you, the model, it's about the clothes of the designer.

Unless specified to do so (which is a big no-no at fashionshows) you do not look to the sides, trying to connect with your eyes with the audience or trying to spot uncle Charlie...

When you walk, most beginner models walk waaaayyyy to fast... and I assume that it might be a short runway (compared to NY Fashion Week runways), hence, if you walk too fast... you'll be at the end of the runway within a few steps. This is especially important to remember, because you might have to walk slow, but the music might be fast, hence you will walk with the beat, keep that in mind.

Now... do NOT (!) look down on the runway, you will see from your walk where the runway ends. You have to look straight forward, de-focusing your eyes and look straight forward into the photographer's pit, best is to look centered ahead.

Take your time posing, but don't hug the runway, because you will block the model following you and the photographer's won't get a shot of the look (garment/dress) behind you.

I was guest on the American Fashion Podcast Episode 18 – Udor (runway photographer) – the right way to runway – it might be a tad long to listen to it all (other fashion industry topics are being covered as well) but it's a lot about runway, designers and mistakes that models make, which i pretty much covered in here.... I think...

You will be a little bit nervous, but that goes away the more often you are doing it.

If you get nervous, try to recall what I was telling you here and also remember that you are there to show off the clothes of the designer and the audience is there to see the clothes that the designer wants to show. Hence... being aware that this is NOT about YOU, but the designer, might take some off the edge off.

Hope that helps!

udor

Mar 02 15 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

As Director of Photography for Vancouver Fashion Week I would agree with everything Udor wrote and add

Watch some videos on Youtube of the Major Mens Fashion shows around the world ,,, Watch how they walk and pose at the end of the runway . Get a full length mirror and practice this yourself

You need to know how to walk at different speeds and strike photogenic poses

The speed of walk and whether you will be asked to pose at the end of the runway for a fashion show are determined by the designer before the show and usually there is a rehearsal for practice

Dont be intimidated by the mass  of photographers at the end of the runway - find some mental way of just blocking them out of your mind

Mar 02 15 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
As Director of Photography for Vancouver Fashion Week I would agree with everything Udor wrote and add

Watch some videos on Youtube of the Major Mens Fashion shows around the world ,,, Watch how they walk and pose at the end of the runway . Get a full length mirror and practice this yourself

You need to know how to walk at different speeds and strike photogenic poses

The speed of walk and whether you will be asked to pose at the end of the runway for a fashion show are determined by the designer before the show and usually there is a rehearsal for practice

Dont be intimidated by the mass  of photographers at the end of the runway - find some mental way of just blocking them out of your mind

Thanks Garry!

Forgot about the practicing bit... although I did think about including it, while typing... lol

Mar 02 15 06:43 pm Link

Model

patNhyne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I genuinely appreciate it and will be investing in that full length mirror, taking what you have all advised me to do under consideration and practicing a lot! Thanks again
David

Mar 04 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

I'll be honest, its something you have to over come..
My advice, practice, practice, practice...

Don't put pressure on your self, like its rocket science or brain surgery..
Just do your thing............ Just believe in your self..

Mar 14 15 11:27 pm Link

Model

CRIMSON REIGN

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Awesome advice from Udor!!! I just did a runway show and one thing I did was practice, practice, practice..especially in the shoes that I had to wear on the runway. Since the models had a meeting the night before at the location, I was able to get an idea of how the runway was set up ( which doesn't always happen) I was able to have in mind a focal point straight ahead at the exit sign behind the audience. That helped with my posture, too.

Mar 23 15 03:28 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

CRIMSON REIGN wrote:
Awesome advice from Udor!!! I just did a runway show and one thing I did was practice, practice, practice..especially in the shoes that I had to wear on the runway. Since the models had a meeting the night before at the location, I was able to get an idea of how the runway was set up ( which doesn't always happen) I was able to have in mind a focal point straight ahead at the exit sign behind the audience. That helped with my posture, too.

Congratulations on the show Crimson!

Also I agree that it was another very informative and kindly shared post by Udor, (and Garry too.) Crimson is correct about practicing in the shoes!

Jen
P.s. I miss runway. This was the first spring in years that I was not accepted to any shows at all, granted I am new to the area and no one knows mem but, sad boo to me for Nashville so far.) Maybe better luck next year?

Mar 24 15 03:09 am Link

Model

CRIMSON REIGN

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Jen B wrote:

Congratulations on the show Crimson!

Also I agree that it was another very informative and kindly shared post by Udor, (and Garry too.) Crimson is correct about practicing in the shoes!

Jen
P.s. I miss runway. This was the first spring in years that I was not accepted to any shows at all, granted I am new to the area and no one knows mem but, sad boo to me for Nashville so far.) Maybe better luck next year?

Thanks Jen B! Hang in there, Lady! I don't really care for runway, but willing to do it if asked. Besides, my height is not the norm for runway. This was a natural hair expo.

Mar 24 15 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Philipe wrote:
I'll be honest, its something you have to over come..
My advice, practice, practice, practice...

Don't put pressure on your self, like its rocket science or brain surgery..
Just do your thing............ Just believe in your self..

+1

Practice will make you more comfortable doing it. I tell my models to practice walking like they would on the catwalk when they are out in public. Crossing the street? Strut like you mean it. Waiting for the bus? Strut til it arrives. You'll eventually get over the fact that people are watching.

Mar 24 15 09:03 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

CRIMSON REIGN wrote:

You are welcome! smile

Mar 24 15 10:14 am Link

Model

Chrissy Evergreen

North Liberty, Iowa, US

Pretend your ex significant other/someone you hate is standing at the end of the runway, you'll look super fierce(:

Apr 26 15 07:20 pm Link

Model

Dipty

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Just feel good about yourself and pretend that you are alone smile

May 06 15 02:20 am Link