Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Most Inspirational Speech for ALL Artists! WATCH!!

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

MM is weird... this post really belongs into General Industry, but I want to reach as many MM'ers as possible, so... I ended up posting this in OT... wink

Via Tumblr, I came across this unbelievable inspirational commencement speech by the very successful author Neil Gaiman at the University of the Arts, class 2012.

Neil, a self taught author, now extremely successful, talks about aspects of creatives in the any segment of the arts, literally ANY segment and the struggle, failures, joys and triumphs, combined with luck that anybody can identify itself with, who are in this field.

If you are ready to give up... watch those 19 minutes... if you are on your way up, watch it... and even if you are on the top of your game... still watch it, because you might have to rekindle the flame and get back to your roots in art making and the pure joy of doing so...

While is I was watching it... I looked several times at a canvas that I started to do the underpainting for, about 9 months ago, my next painting, titled The Valley of the Ferronites, which is sitting since then on the top of my bookshelf, waiting to be finished.

Anyway... please, look at it, share it, let others know who are artists... I think most of us need to listen to such a speech from someone like us, who has made it under similar circumstances as most of us are in!

Neil Gaiman - Inspirational Commencement Speech at the University of the Arts 2012

Mar 06 15 06:48 am Link

Model

EmilyBuresh

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Thank you for posting this. Neil Gaiman is an inspiration.

Mar 06 15 07:16 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

EmilyBuresh wrote:
Thank you for posting this. Neil Gaiman is an inspiration.

Yes, totally... he is also the author of Coraline... pretty awesome!

Mar 07 15 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

udor wrote:
Yes, totally... he is also the author of Coraline... pretty awesome!

But that's not even a name!

Mar 07 15 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Udor, thanks for the tip!  This guy is a great speaker and has something to say. You don't often have a commencement speaker get a standing ovation from the graduating class.

After thinking about it, I believe that what he spoke about applies not only to art, but engineering, computer science, and almost any kind of research and/or advanced development in any field where the creative mind is at work.

Mar 07 15 02:28 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I love this!
Thank you Udor:)

Mar 07 15 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Managing Light wrote:
After thinking about it, I believe that what he spoke about applies not only to art, but engineering, computer science, and almost any kind of research and/or advanced development in any field where the creative mind is at work.

Yeah, that's pretty much the consent! This speech is applicable to all kinds of fields where creativity is the key!

Mar 08 15 06:08 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I love this!
Thank you Udor:)

You are welcome, Julie!

I think I will make it a must to listen to this once a week..., maybe Sunday eve or Monday mornings!  smile

Mar 08 15 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Really? Nobody, besides three MMers are interested in that speech?

hmm

Mar 15 15 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Thanks for the bump. Very inspirational. I loved the Dr Who callout.

Mar 15 15 09:44 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Robb Mann wrote:
Thanks for the bump. Very inspirational. I loved the Dr Who callout.

Yeah, for me... it was when he mentioned the typo of the spelling "Caroline"... and when he said "Coraline" might make a good name... I looked him up, and found that he was the autor of the Academy nominated "Coraline"...

Amazing guy, artist and great speech!  smile

Thanks for watching it!

Mar 15 15 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Artfully bumped... smile

Mar 20 15 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I didn't like it, it was a suffer to go over a minute. whatever...

Mar 20 15 07:46 pm Link