Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Basic Styling Kit

Photographer

J Diffner Photography

Sequim, Washington, US

I'm a bald, male photographer (getting that out of the way, as it is pertinent to the question) and routinely work one on one with just a model.  I've had a few models ask me if I had any hair gel at recent shoots (sadly, haven't had the need in ten years) and it got thinking that it might be helpful to have a basic styling kit on hand.  Can you guys and gals give me any suggestions as to what I should pick up (basic stuff)?  And yes, "picking up" a hair and makeup person would be my first choice, but sometimes the budget just isn't there (and I don't ask people to work for free).  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Mar 11 15 08:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi Jeff. For hair some basic styling products to have on hand would include: mousse, both light and strong hold hairsprays, paste, gel, dry shampoo. A flat iron and blow dryer and curling tongs too. Bobbie pins and elastic bands, treated as disposable. The tricky part would be brushes and combs. They are very necessary, but must be cleaned and soaked in barbacide, then rinsed or they are not sanitary.

Makeup is even trickier for sanitary reasons. Powder products must be sprayed to disinfect between uses. Cream, liquid and gel products must be dispensed with a spatula (popsicle sticks make great disposable spatulas) onto a palette (wax paper sheets work) before use. Brushes must be cleaned thoroughly and sanitized between uses. Products in tubes such as mascara and lip gloss require disposable applicators and cannot be used with the original applicator. Ensuring models don't do this may be hard. All that said, basic makeup kits are available from camerareadycosmetics.com and they are made up of professional products.

I'd consider hiring a makeup and hair artist in your area to come and show you how to properly sanitize things between models. This all assumes that the model is able to use the products and tools properly, however.

Mar 11 15 09:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

MeganCalfoMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

1. Pomade
2. Spray bottle full of water. (Make sure to clean bottle and change water each day you use it)
3. Hairspray (Tresseme works just fine, Kenra is my favorite brand.)
4. Anti-Frizz Syrum (John Frieda)
5. Hair Gel
6. Bobby Pins and Hair Pins
7. Hair Ties
8. Combs (you could get disposable combs, otherwise you would need to sanitize all hair combs/brushes with barbicide/marvicide)
9. Paddle Brush (also must be sanitized with barbicide/marvicide)
If you want to add hot tools, you can do a lot with a flat iron. You can straighten, curl, waive.. just takes some practice.

I believe that's it, the most important things that I can think of at the moment.

^^^ This is just for hair. Makeup is a whole different story, that can't be very "basic" Even just a small kit would be very expensive. Also totally agree ^ you need to be trained on how to properly sanitize a kit and work in a sanitary manner.

Mar 16 15 08:38 pm Link