Forums > Photography Talk > Location tips for Greater Bay Area (Nude)

Photographer

Fotodesign Gruener

Ludwigshafen, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany

Hi,

I will be flying to San Francisco in a couple of days and rather than having only hotel shootings I would like to use my 3.5 days which I have off for some beautiful images outdoors around sunrise and sunrise and if the location permits during the day. As I do not live anywhere near an ocean a secluded beach, stunning landscape overlooking the ocean or the special vegetation around the Bay are would be great.
I have spent some vacation along the coast in previous years but primarily for nature and landscape photography with my wife and not necessarily looking for "hidden" gemstones that are more safe to shoot nude rather than more or less crowded places.
The downsize I have is that 2 out of the 3.5. days are a weekend.
We have been to Black Sands Beach recently and along the coast up to Point Reyes. Any tips are greatly appreciated. I looked at some older threads but would like to get a more recent update.

Thanks,

Peter

Mar 15 15 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Fotodesign Gruener

Not a single hint for me? :-(

Mar 18 15 11:30 am Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

I haven't actually shot at these places yet myself (hopefully one day though), but I keep hearing from others that these places could be great places to shoot at:

Marin Headlands
Sutro Bath area
North Baker Nude Beach

Mar 18 15 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Fotodesign Gruener

Thank you for your input - I'll appreciate this. I just need to figure out which of these places are the least crowded. Based on my previous experiences I'd say the Marin Headlands might have the best potential so far.

Peter

Mar 18 15 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

I have shot at the Marin Headlands several times, a few of the images from the area in my port.  There are a lot of really kewl and interesting abandoned buildings from the former military battery hat make fantastic backdrops / scenery.  You have to be discreet, but you can shoot nude images there without much problems.  I have found it best to shoot earlier in the day or later in the afternoon to avoid crowds.  Just always be ready to have your model be able to cover up rather quickly though.

I scouted out the Sutro Baths on weekend, a big mistake, and it was extremely crowed and well as being incredible COLD.  I could not not ask a model to pose there nude as cold as it was.  It was earlier in the year which is why it was so cold.  I will have to look at the place again during the middle to the end of Summer and see what it is like.

I have not made it to North Baker Nude Beach area yet, maybe this Summer.

Best of luck to you!

Mar 18 15 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Gray Whale Cove (south end)
Several beaches south of Pescadero have dramatic cliffs behind

Mar 18 15 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fotodesign Gruener

Hello,

Thanks for all the input so far. Has anyone been to or near the following locations for a late afternoon/sunset shooting weekdays?

Battery Townsley
Tennessee Beach
Hill88
The area north of Muir Beach towards Slide Ranch

How much walking is there involved? I will probably use Saturday/Sunday for a scouting tour...

Thanks again for your feedback.

Peter

Mar 20 15 07:32 am Link

Photographer

cconstantine

San Rafael, California, US

I'm not sure if you've already done your shoots, but I live in Marin and can help with some scouting pics and location ideas/coordination if you like. It looks like you're coming from a long way away... Drop me a message if interested.

Mar 22 15 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Fotodesign Gruener

Hi,

cconstantine wrote:
I'm not sure if you've already done your shoots, but I live in Marin and can help with some scouting pics and location ideas/coordination if you like. It looks like you're coming from a long way away... Drop me a message if interested.

Thanks for offering - I really appreciate it and have contacted you by a personal message.

Peter

Mar 23 15 07:37 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Baker Beach - View of the Bridge - Good stuff

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/IMG_4803-2.jpg

I think being nude in San Fran is legal so I have a zillion locations in mind.
I used to live there 4 years.

- Jules

Mar 23 15 08:09 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jules NYC wrote:
I think being nude in San Fran is legal so I have a zillion locations in mind.
I used to live there 4 years.

- Jules

They passed a "g-string" statute about a year ago in response to the guys in the Castro.  So now, technically, you need a g-string when otherwise nude in the city.  There is a bit of an exclusion in the statute for art, but it isn't clearly written.  I've never had any trouble shooting public nudes in SF, and I have a friend who is an attorney that does it all the time, but it is something to note.  It is't quite as easy as it was before.

Mar 23 15 08:41 am Link

Model

RebeccasOffice

West Hollywood, California, US

Sorry Peter.  Are you still here?

If you go in the Marin Headlands, take the Alexander exit across the bridge.  about a quarter mile down the hill and you will see a left turn to the headlands.  Go through the one lane tunnel and you will then procede about a mile down the road..  About a quarter mile before you get to the beach, head left towards the visitor center and go past.  Follow the road all the way up and if you stay left you will take a turn at an intersection which will put you at a bluff overlooking the GG Bridge. 

Turn Right and you will find an old military outpost with tunnels.  You will know you are in the right place because nobody is there!  Check out this page: http://www.rebeccasoffice.com/rebeccapics.html and look for Rebecca Avoids Gridlock as well as this page: http://www.rebeccasoffice.com/updates/w … toset.html

Mar 25 15 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Fotodesign Gruener

Thanks to all that contributed in helping me finding a suitable location. After spending the weekend hiking appr. 15 miles per day through the Marin Headlands I really found some nice spots for shooting opportunities. Unfortunately the models that applied to my casting call or via messages and I did not make it together. I am not quite sure what went wrong but I took a 400 mile ride to my friends in Oregon for a two day visit and today 400 miles back to the San Francisco area. Tomorrow is my flight back home to Germany - I am really looking forward to getting home.

Peter

Apr 01 15 05:19 pm Link