Forums > Newbie Forum > How to politely turn down shooting with someone,

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

John Horwitz wrote:

I've been a paid and volunteer judge at many competitions and have work in The Smithsonian Institution and Oxford University and Purdue University...and your credentials KPC?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dDu401YFEMM/VQJQegWG_cI/AAAAAAAADsM/1SbVGvIZX3Q/s1600/Lindsay%2BLohan%2Brindo%2Be%2Bcuspindo.gif

Mar 19 15 11:58 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Just some of the replies in this thread are a good example of why you don't have to respond to everything.

I used to respond to turn down shoot requests, but I usually don't now.  Maybe it's because I'm in a big market area, but I assume that the model is sending out bunches of requests and I don't see the point in filling up their inbox with a negative reply.   

Also, some people do become extremely unhinged when they are turned down for something.  It's better maybe that they are only slightly unhinged over not getting a response.

Mar 19 15 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Mar 19 15 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

John Jebbia wrote:
I know many photographers get butthurt when told no. But as for me, just cut to the chase. I don't need a song and dance.

"Thank you for considering me. However, I am not interested in this project at this time."

Simple... If they don't like it, so what..

^^This^^

Yes, this.

I'd much rather know up front if someone is interested  or not. I work on the road a lot and if a model has read my contact message asking her to shoot but does not reply, I sometimes send a follow up message a week or two later that I'm still in the area if she's interested. Sometimes they do not respond to the 2nd message but often they'll message me back and accept.

I think it's just common courtesy to reply to someone who's interested enough in your look as a model or your skill as a photographer, stylist or MUA. How long does it take to tell someone 'no thanks'?

Mar 19 15 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Post hidden on Mar 19, 2015 04:53 pm
Reason: other
Comments:
Privacy

Mar 19 15 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

This thread is how to decline a shoot gracefully -- I find no thanks works well for me.

-- if you would like to post your accomplishments ( imagined or otherwise) you can do so here https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/88 --

Mar 19 15 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Post hidden on Mar 19, 2015 04:54 pm
Reason: off-topic
Comments:
Privacy

Mar 19 15 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Post hidden on Mar 19, 2015 05:11 pm
Reason: other
Comments:
Privacy

Mar 19 15 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

John Horwitz

Post hidden on Mar 19, 2015 04:54 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Privacy.

Mar 19 15 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

2A Models

SOUTHWORTH, Washington, US

NinaKat wrote:
Is there a polite way to turn down shooting with someone? If a photographer for example offers you money to shoot with them but you don't like their photos, how do you politely decline? Is it better to just not respond? As photographers how do you prefer to be treated in regards to this type of inquiry? I always try to send some sort of response but it seems like people always find ways to be offended. I've had some people tell me that I should haven't of even responded, and I've had other people thank me for it. So I figured asking the forum would be the best place. This seems like something new models would want to know as well so I figured this section would be appropriate.

My advice: be POLITE; being polite is being professional, but failing to respond at all to a legitimate offer is neither. An extremely brief canned response is perfectly acceptable.

Try something like this:

"Thanks for thinking of me. I'm not sure we're right for one another collaboratively. Best of luck in your endeavors."

Completely polite, completely professional, completely sufficient, and completely concise. Takes seconds to cut and paste a couple of appropriate sentences once you find words with which you're happy. You don't need to tell someone that her/his photos suck, or express umbrage that he/she'd dare to ask you to work with her/him; either point is irrelevant and would only invite additional participation in an exchange you're trying to conclude.

If a photographer doesn't take "no" for an answer, that's the photographer's problem, and I'd say you're well within your rights (and manners) to ignore further solicitation.

Mar 19 15 03:55 pm Link