Forums > Critique > Somewhat dark shot of young girl

Photographer

Haifisch

Orlando, Florida, US

Hello everyone,

I shot this photo just by change at a recent family get together and would appreciate your honest critique. I was actually attempting to take pictured of a very shy dog indoors and noticed a young girl crouched into a chair playing on her electronic device - I snapped a few shots and went about my business. This is one of them.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38173082

The girls mother seemed to question the photo and I replied that I simply took a picture of what was taking place - I did not pose the girl or anything of the sort. Share your thoughts please...

Mar 17 15 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150315/20/55064936ee4da_m.jpg

I think it would help to change it to a vertical orientation, and adjust the levels. I would not call it a model portfolio photo, but rather a capture of a young person in time. Might have been nice to get all of girl’s right eye in photo

Mar 17 15 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

The iphone screen kinda threw me off from this being an emotive photo.

Mar 17 15 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I really like it  .. would like it even more if rotated 90 counterclockwise smile

Mar 17 15 11:40 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I looked at this last night and revisited it this morning.  I understand why the girl's mother might not like it.  It leaves a lot to the imagination.  There is no way of telling the girl's age.  This is a shot that is completely at the interpretation of the viewer.  Which is also why using a portrait orientation changes it so much from a landscape orientation.  I think the mother might like it in portrait.  I like it in both.  But it is significantly different per the orientation.

Mar 18 15 06:49 am Link