Forums > Model Colloquy > Spirit & Strength: Super-Humans on the Runway

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Based some comments and concerns of models with disability, or who don't fit a hundred percent into a category of modeling they want to fit in..., I would like to share something inspirational with you.

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11075234_431590360341416_5571045277327380326_n.jpg?oh=2346eebfcb6496ebe094661b349ac91f&oe=55A74523

Now... this doesn't mean to ignore casting guidelines, or modeling standards (e.g. NYFW, runway height 5'9" and up, 34-24-34 (mannequin size at designer's office), or wanting to do glamour modelling for "Juggs Magazine" evilgrin while being a solid A-cup...

Know your market and use your strength and positive attributes to point those out when marketing yourself... and... looking at the pictures... be inspired for life, look beyond your own limitations in life, not just in modeling.

Blessed be!

Mar 26 15 04:02 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I must be the only one who is inspired by people like those!

Mar 27 15 05:34 pm Link

Model

M I K H A I L

Chicago, Illinois, US

udor wrote:
I must be the only one who is inspired by people like those!

I do find them, as well as anyone who has the courage to put themselves out there in modeling or another industry, inspiring. When I first saw your post, I thought it was positive to see these individuals in the setting they're in within these photos. Thank you for sharing and photographing them. smile

I agree with your words about knowing your market and the importance of using your strength and positive attributes to point those out when marketing yourself. In general, it seems like a good idea to know your market in any industry you want to find work in or make a name for yourself in. I know this is true of the publishing industry too.

There are a couple of photographers who come to mind and who actively photograph people with disabilities including Michael Stokes. He's done many amazing images of veterans who have lost limbs and I find his work inspiring as well.

Mar 27 15 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

MrChaos wrote:
There are a couple of photographers who come to mind and who actively photograph people with disabilities including Michael Stokes. He's done many amazing images of veterans who have lost limbs and I find his work inspiring as well.

Thanks for your words, MrChaos!

When I have time, I will definitely check out Michael Stokes' work.

I had a project planned for a few years now, with a special ed teacher, who was working at a school for autistic children, it's being put on hold, but will do it, either this or next year.

Mar 29 15 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It's an anomaly - but it's a Good anomaly

Mar 29 15 07:58 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

MrChaos wrote:

I do find them, as well as anyone who has the courage to put themselves out there in modeling or another industry, inspiring. When I first saw your post, I thought it was positive to see these individuals in the setting they're in within these photos. Thank you for sharing and photographing them. smile

I agree with your words about knowing your market and the importance of using your strength and positive attributes to point those out when marketing yourself. In general, it seems like a good idea to know your market in any industry you want to find work in or make a name for yourself in. I know this is true of the publishing industry too.

I'm absolutely in love with Michael Stokes' work. It's awesome!

Mar 29 15 01:33 pm Link