Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > PhaseOne Capture One Pro when shooting Tethered

Photographer

BillyPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Have a question for anyone familiar with PhaseOne Capture One Pro...

Why is that the preferred software for photographers shooting tethered from their camera to computer and displaying on a screen?  I've heard this several times from different people, and saw a great photographer displaying on Capture One while shooting tethered recently in person.

I assume it's because you can apply styles/filters before displaying on screen in a way you can't with LR or PS, but I don't really know and want to find out.

Mar 28 15 04:31 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BillyVegas wrote:
Have a question for anyone familiar with PhaseOne Capture One Pro...

Why is that the preferred software for photographers shooting tethered from their camera to computer and displaying on a screen?  I've heard this several times from different people, and saw a great photographer displaying on Capture One while shooting tethered recently in person.

I assume it's because you can apply styles/filters before displaying on screen in a way you can't with LR or PS, but I don't really know and want to find out.

Hey Billy..

I'm pretty new to Capture One Pro myself. Somehow Sony users got a sweetheart deal in that Phase One created a Pro version that only supports Sony cameras, and it costs just 30 bucks - it's free if you don't need tethering and local adjustments.  Anyways needless to say I jumped on the Pro version.

Right out of the box I can say that the RAW conversion in C1 is better, to my eyes.  The local adjustments are more powerful in C1, and a host of other interesting things having to do with the image adjustments (and the colour editor is fabulous)

That all being said C1 seems designed for tethering. It has a multitude of tether and live view control options. It really does seem to be designed with a digital tech interacting with the software 'live' to be able to instantly give true feedback about how the image is looking as it comes in, and apply a series of adjustments. 

I'm actually considering going to a C1Pro digital tech training seminar which lasts a couple of days, just to become really connected to this software.  I'm quite sure that with my limited exposure so far I am really only scratching the surface.

Mar 28 15 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

I wouldn't use anything else for capture ..... niggle bit is the catalog annoys the heck out of me........ C1 takes some learning as it's so different from PS.
Many of the functions are not obvious so hence the learning curve can be a mine field.
Lots of You tube tutorials.

Mar 29 15 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

WIP wrote:
I wouldn't use anything else for capture ..... niggle bit is the catalog annoys the heck out of me........ C1 takes some learning as it's so different from PS.
Many of the functions are not obvious so hence the learning curve can be a mine field.
Lots of You tube tutorials.

Personally I don't use the catalog in C1P (even going back to when I used to use LR where catalog was the only choice - I created one catalog per shoot), I choose alternatively to use Sessions instead. Sessions work much better for my tethered workflow, where I shoot tethered into a dedicated computer or laptop (on location) and then move the session to my main computer for editing and retouching. It's much more straight forward with sessions, as I just move a directory (easier for backups too).

Mar 29 15 03:07 pm Link